John Taylor acknowledges good judgment of SF’s economic policies

SinnShane

In a letter to the Belfast Telegraph today, ex-UUP MP "Lord Kilclooney" aka John Taylor (remember him?) identifies Sinn Féin as the only party to show any sense in the reckless rush to cede our economic sovereignty to the EU.

I hesitate to say it, but only Sinn Fein got it right when others joined the populist campaign to embrace the euro.

Bring back the punt to save the economy - Letters, Opinion - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

If a bitter political opponent of many years (NB** with no dog in this fight) can see the common sense in our economic policies, why do the parties of the south range against them with such venom at every opportunity? Why are SF the ONLY opposition to the flawed consensus that a/got us into this mess and b/is guaranteed to sink us from recession to depression??

setanta

A unionist bigot lines up with the kill-a-prod-a-day nationalism of Sinn Fein to attack the EU. Youse are welcome to each other.

Nordie Northsider

Mind you, John once advised Nationalists to vote for the Workers' Party if they couldn't bring themselves to vote Unionist. Very forgiving of him, seeing as the Stickies put five bullets in his head in 1972.

junius

A unionist bigot lines up with the kill-a-prod-a-day nationalism of Sinn Fein to attack the EU. Youse are welcome to each other.
These silly little Northern Ireland bickering 'problems' pale into insignificance when you look at the bigger global picture. The sheer unattainability of the 'goals' of globalisation of high standards of living for every human on the planet and all the other rubbish their idealists spout simply prolongs the time the people are being fooled into sheer stupidity and continues to allow the fat cats get fatter and fatter and fatter! Ex politician (or maybe he's still one, I don't know) is being honest and nobody can fault him for that. If honesty had had any meaning in Ireland for the last thirty odd years we would not be in this catastrophic mess today.

Stop picking on politicians who speak the truth!

Pat Mc Larnon

Hardly praise we'd welcome tbh.

Yeah, even a broken clock is right twice a day and setanta's mates in the Labour Party certainly broke his.

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
It's a pity the party that claims James Connolly and calls itself the 'Labour Party' weren't as quick to point out and condemn the kill-a-taig-a-day nationalism of the British and the unionists instead of issuing mild statements of "concern" throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's. :mad:

Or is that just the stickie coming out of you setanta ?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
To the SF members decrying where the praise came from.. shame on them

always focus on the message not the messenger

I remember studying a thesis once, that reckoned that Protestants, and Protestant countries, were actual more honest and businesslike.. think Dutch, Swedish, lots of Germans etc

They in my opinion, are probably right... Protestants don't do bullcrap

Call me sectarian for saying that all you like.. it's true

Tiernanator

I remember studying a thesis once, that reckoned that Protestants, and Protestant countries, were actual more honest and businesslike.. think Dutch, Swedish, lots of Germans etc

You know you will have to add our nearest neighbours across to water to this equation rockofcashel. However I do think you have a point. Mind you generalising about national traits isn't always helpful. I do think Ireland has more than it's share of cute hoorism though and to be honest a number of the Catholic countries Italy, Portugal etc seem to have a good dollop of it as well. I welcome John Taylor's remarks but naturally dont agree with all his anti-EU sentiments. However praise is usually welcome no matter where it comes from.

Cruimh

Doesn't it worry you that so many "republicans" on this site are pillocks ?

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Doesn't it worry you that so many "republicans" on this site are pillocks ?
There is always going to be and adverse reaction, when someone who was as much of a bete noir as John Taylor comments on anything to do with SF.. but yes, sometimes the responses of Republican minded posters do annoy me.

People need to look at things on their merits, and not just knee jerk react to things

Cruimh

There is always going to be and adverse reaction, when someone who was as much of a bete noir as John Taylor comments on anything to do with SF.. but yes, sometimes the responses of Republican minded posters do annoy me.

People need to look at things on their merits, and not just knee jerk react to things
Was John Taylor really such a bete noir though ? Ok, he was probably the epitome of old school Unionism, but hardly in the same league as Paisley back in his ( John Taylor) hey day. Only thing I can really remember is that he was the one responsible for Faulkner's downfall.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies