• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

John Waters: Journalism Masterclass

Cirio

(I hesitated to put this in the Education forum, so I did a coin-toss between Media and Entertainment. Sorry, Media.)

John Waters, “analyst, reporter, columnist, author and protagonist” according to what reads as a self-penned, self-referential ode called “Course Information”, will deliver a Diploma course in Journalism at City Colleges (?) from January 2013. He seems to have made grudging peace with the interwebs, because students can be corporeal (€845) or unreal (€745).

It's not for just anyone, mind. Journalists “... are also observers, interpreters, analysts, writers - and occasionally are called upon to be philosophers and poets as well!”

The onanistic poem mentioned above is well worth a read, as are the course modules.

I've read it all twice and have taken to my fainting couch.

Diploma in Journalism, with John Waters | City Colleges

Last edited:

Deep Blue

It's all so much goobledygook, the words and sentences are interchangeable.

I can't be sure if its full of typos or not:

"Protect/project your unique perspective"..."passionate engagement with reality""...distinctive subjectivity".

My head hurts already; 30 hours of that...OMG E850

Davidoff

And there was me thinking it couldn't get any more ridiculous than Jim Power teaching a course on economics.

What next, learn to drive with Mary Mitchell-O'Connor?

Deep Blue

And there was me thinking it couldn't get any more ridiculous than Jim Power teaching a course on economics.

Good idea for a Christmas board game.

Just call it Shame Academy:)

Davidoff

One of the modules is called How to win the Web for good writing.

If students ask nicely the college might add further modules, such as how to translate sh1t like that into English.

:roll:

Cirio

It's all so much goobledygook, the words and sentences are interchangeable.

I can't be sure if its full of typos or not:

"Protect/project your unique perspective"..."passionate engagement with reality""...distinctive subjectivity".

My head hurts already; 30 hours of that...OMG E850
I know. I'm not feeling the better of it yet. It's not just that it's gobbledygook, it's the particular flavour of it... The introductory piece of puffery doesn't reference journalism per se, but rather continues JW's personal crusade whilst lending it the veneer of institutional validation.

The nods and winks to Waters' perceived status as unacknowledged, under-appreciated and iconoclastic maverick are laid on not so much with a trowel as with Christy Mahon's very own loy.

Davidoff

(I hesitated to put this in the Education forum, so I did a coin-toss between Media and Entertainment. Sorry, Media.)

John Waters, “analyst, reporter, columnist, author and protagonist” according to what reads as a self-penned, self-referential ode called “Course Information”, will deliver a Diploma course in Journalism at City Colleges (?) from January 2013. He seems to have made grudging peace with the interwebs, because students can be corporeal (€845) or unreal (€745).

It's not for just anyone, mind. Journalists “... are also observers, interpreters, analysts, writers - and occasionally are called upon to be philosophers and poets as well!”

The onanistic poem mentioned above is well worth a read, as are the course modules.

Fair play for spotting it, Cirio.

It's one of the things I like about this site. Amidst the earnest discussion of austerity, suicide and abortion there are occasional moments of unexpected hilarity.

Can't beat a laugh at bedtime.

:D

Deep Blue

Pegeen Mike couldn't have put it better.

Sure and he has a great way with the ould self-aggrandisement all right, and him only trying to enlighten ye all.

Gurdiev

I hope he's had a professional educator help him with the content. You could be mighty bewildered after 30 hours of intensive coaching by JW

And So I Said

He forgot saints and scholars.

Levellers

One class is dedicated to writing the worst Euro song ever!

Where does he get off calling himself a journalist? He’s a fairly hopeless columnist – like many footballers – who tries to be noticed in the crowd. And don’t get me started on his ridiculous hairstyle.

S

simeongrimes

He was an outstanding journalist when he wrote for HotPress and Magill. As a columnist he is advocating for an unpopular point of view generally but he deserves huge credit for putting the plight of fathers in the family courts on the agenda.

I don't always or even often agree with John Waters but I'm glad he's there and I have no doubt the course will be popular and successful.

meriwether

He was an outstanding journalist when he wrote for HotPress and Magill. As a columnist he is advocating for an unpopular point of view generally but he deserves huge credit for putting the plight of fathers in the family courts on the agenda.

I don't always or even often agree with John Waters but I'm glad he's there and I have no doubt the course will be popular and successful.
Whilst Fathers may get a raw deal in family court, you really have to ask yourself: How mad do you have to be to lose a child custody case to Sinead O'Connor?

Analyzer

Wait until Brian Cowen starts giving leadership courses !!!!!

firefly123

[video=youtube;8iSD9lPVY6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSD9lPVY6Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

ShoutingIsLeadership

I hope he's had a professional educator help him with the content. You could be mighty bewildered after 30 hours of intensive coaching by JW
Hopefully there is a module on the incorrect use of semi-colons.

The Diploma in Journalism syllabus includes the following modules;

Introduction to Journalism/Ways of getting started