• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

John Waters unleashes on social media

Clanrickard

Venomous and toxic social media out of control - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 04, 2013

John is angry and he has attacked the "toxic" and "venomous" social media. This is the third piece I have read this week in the Irish print media attacking social media but by far the most shrill. John hankers for the good old days when the only opinion heard were those of a select group of talking heads. Waters says that
" now there is a rapidly growing sense that something needs to be done, and soon, to curb the toxic and lawless climate developing on the web."
Personally I don't think anything needs to be done. I am glad that the providers will be exempt from defamation actions if they try and manage things properly under the EU Electronic Commerce Directive. The Wtaers of this world would love to shut them down but we should always err on the side of free speech.

cillian32

Venomous and toxic social media out of control - The Irish Times - Fri, Jan 04, 2013

John is angry and he has attacked the "toxic" and "venomous" social media. This is the third piece I have read this week in the Irish print media attacking social media but by far the most shrill. John hankers for the good old days when the only opinion heard were those of a select group of talking heads. Waters says that Personally I don't think anything needs to be done. I am glad that the providers will be exempt from defamation actions if they try and manage things properly under the EU Electronic Commerce Directive. The Wtaers of this world would love to shut them down but we should always err on the side of free speech.
John and his pals in the media need to understand that they will NEVER control some peoples minds....They are just going to have to get used to it.....Besides he is a unberable bore.

Clanrickard

John and his pals in the media need to understand that they will NEVER control some peoples minds....They are just going to have to get used to it.....Besides he is a unbearable bore.
Remember his nasty attack on an Taisce? He called them chinless wonders. It was filled with vitriol. He is a hypocrite.

jmcc

To use a common web expression: Meh!

Analyzer

Alright, which one of you twitterers attacked Sinead O'Connor and inspired the latest rant from JW ?

Analyzer

John is angry and he has attacked the "toxic" and "venomous" social media. This is the third piece I have read this week in the Irish print media attacking social media but by far the most shrill. John hankers for the good old days when the only opinion heard were those of a select group of talking heads. Waters says that
" now there is a rapidly growing sense that something needs to be done, and soon, to curb the toxic and lawless climate developing on the web."
Personally I don't think anything needs to be done. I am glad that the providers will be exempt from defamation actions if they try and manage things properly under the EU Electronic Commerce Directive. The Waters of this world would love to shut them down but we should always err on the side of free speech.
Hilarious quote there from the man who had good things to say about CJH !!!

A growing sense amongst whom exactly ? Boring journalists who write for a property paper with a news supplement ?

Carl Claudius

social media sites have their own bias. look through the pages of boards.ie and even this fine site and you will find that the catholic church is the ultimate evil and you can say anything you want against it. on boards.ie the mods will get rid of you if you express any pro catholic sentiment during a'debate' on the church. ditto on any 'debate regarding 'foreigners' and 'travellers'.

David Norris on the other hand is a darling of social media sites and nothing bad should be said about him. as indeed no awkward questions about darina allen's husband are entertained.

theObserver@hotmail.com

John is angry and he has attacked the "toxic" and "venomous" social media. This is the third piece I have read this week in the Irish print media attacking social media but by far the most shrill. John hankers for the good old days when the only opinion heard were those of a select group of talking heads. Waters says that Personally I don't think anything needs to be done. I am glad that the providers will be exempt from defamation actions if they try and manage things properly under the EU Electronic Commerce Directive. The Wtaers of this world would love to shut them down but we should always err on the side of free speech.
John is just another pseudo-intellectual bore. If he doesn't like the hearing honest opinion of his work, he shouldn't publish. Stop trying to regulate the damn internet.

Carl Claudius

John waters often expresses opinions that are unpopular. It is interesting to read opinions from thinkers who hail from outside the Pale.

Clanrickard

social media sites have their own bias. look through the pages of boards.ie and even this fine site and you will find that the catholic church is the ultimate evil and you can say anything you want against it. on boards.ie the mods will get rid of you if you express any pro catholic sentiment during a'debate' on the church. ditto on any 'debate regarding 'foreigners' and 'travellers'.

David Norris on the other hand is a darling of social media sites and nothing bad should be said about him. as indeed no awkward questions about darina allen's husband are entertained.
Boards is rubbish and it's politics section is rubbish. However it is a private site and they have their rules just like p.ie. On here I have seen plenty said against the Catholic Church but then so what? It is a free speech issue. If you think the Church is a phenomenal body of people say so.We as a nation should be pushing the boundaries to encourage greater freedom of speech as opposed to having whingers like Waters trying to curb such freedoms for his own agenda.

jmcc

John waters often expresses opinions that are unpopular. It is interesting to read opinions from thinkers who hail from outside the Pale.
But Waters is now very much within the Pale. He's firmly embedded in the arsehole of the Pale - the Irish Times.

S

simeongrimes

It can be very nasty online without a doubt but there used to be a saying about free speech that went something like "I support the right of the National Enquirer to print what they like in order that the New York Times can print what they like"

Of course that was when journalists used to stand up for free speech. Now many of them think it has gotten completely out of hand.

SeanieFitz

I agree with what he says in this piece and I think that what has happened on this site over the past few years strengthens his position.
There is little, if any, control or accountability. The abuse posted online re some people is completely unwarrented and does this site and others no favours. It is counter productive to the well being of "worthy" sites such as politics.ie and discourages genuine, frank, honest and thought provoking debate. also the level of trolling seems to be out of control.
For instance, the personal abuse, insults and sexist comments posted about Ivana Bacik on this site in the recent past is shameful. Can you imagine how she or her family must feel when they read some of it. More worrying, for me anyway, is that vitriolic posts could encourage some people of a volatile disposition to do something illegal!
There has to be increased accountability, there is a responsibility on those "in charge" to ensure high standards (as was the case on this site initially) and posters should show respect for others.
honest and frank debate should be encouraged but there should be boundaries.

Carl Claudius

Boards is rubbish and it's politics section is rubbish. However it is a private site and they have their rules just like p.ie. On here I have seen plenty said against the Catholic Church but then so what? It is a free speech issue. If you think the Church is a phenomenal body of people say so.We as a nation should be pushing the boundaries to encourage greater freedom of speech as opposed to having whingers like Waters trying to curb such freedoms for his own agenda.

I am all for free speech. while the catholic church is not free from sin some of the comments allowed here would make the loyalists blush. it definitely would not be entertained if the Jews were up for discussion.
you can criticise certain groups, organisations and personalities but not others and it can be hard to know who or what is not allowed to be criticised. that is free speech, also known as 'there is one law for the rich...'.

Clanrickard

For instance, the personal abuse, insults and sexist comments posted about Ivana Bacik on this site in the recent past is shameful. Can you imagine how she or her family must feel when they read some of it.
She is a public figure so tough. Abuse will be dished out and you have got to take it. That happened before social media ever existed. Ivana is a big girl and I am sure she can take it on the chin.

More worrying, for me anyway, is that vitriolic posts could encourage some people of a volatile disposition to do something illegal!
SO we all need to mind our ps and qs in case some nutter goes postal? What a weak argument.

Carl Claudius

But Waters is now very much within the Pale. He's firmly embedded in the arsehole of the Pale - the Irish Times.

I have read some of his books but they were written in the early nineties before any association with that paper you mention. so, you are saying that Jawn has forgotten he is from Roscommon?
has he been D4ised?

Clanrickard

I am all for free speech. while the catholic church is not free from sin some of the comments allowed here would make the loyalists blush. it definitely would not be entertained if the Jews were up for discussion.
you can criticise certain groups, organisations and personalities but not others and it can be hard to know who or what is not allowed to be criticised. that is free speech, also known as 'there is one law for the rich...'.
In your opinion. On p.ie I have seen all groups and all sectors get it with both barrels. That is how it should be.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies