• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Joint Authority as a temporary Brexit solution for NI?

gatsbygirl20

So does anyone think that May will bring up JA tonight with the dinner with Varadkar as a way of getting out of the Backstop problem?
Definitely.

Teresa : "Leo, I was wondering if now might be the time to mention Joint Authority to the DUP?"

Leo: "Yeah, like totes, whatever.. (giggles) Good luck with that bunch of carb munchers... Speaking of joints, did you see me on Operation Transformation? Absolute 'mare. Fitness level at zero. After all those 5 am sessions in the gym doing cardio. This could be the end of my career. You' re looking at a seriously damaged dude here, Teresa"

Talk Back

No - genuine joint authority would arguably affect the principle of consent. Unclear how it would even work, and how it would get around the issues in the backstop/border.
So is 'Direct Rule'.

The majority of the people of Ireland don't even want foreign rule in our country.

If there were real democracy in Ireland the British occupation would have ended a long time ago.

Mickeymac

So the people there won't mind it being disposed of in a no-deal Brexit?

Best to ask newrydick, was he who came up with the outlandish claims (Sic Counties highest disposable income in EU) which I simply highlighted because of my amazement.:laugh:

livingstone

So is 'Direct Rule'.

The majority of the people of Ireland don't even want foreign rule in our country.

If there were real democracy in Ireland the British occupation would have ended a long time ago.
The Irish people voted for the Good Friday Agreement - which means recognising the legitimacy of Northern Ireland's place in the UK unless and until the people of Northern Ireland choose to change it. And direct rule when the devolved institutions is part of that. There is a role for Dublin through the BIIGC.

Direct rule does not breach the principle of consent. Joint Authority does.

Mickeymac

The Irish people voted for the Good Friday Agreement - which means recognising the legitimacy of Northern Ireland's place in the UK unless and until the people of Northern Ireland choose to change it. And direct rule when the devolved institutions is part of that. There is a role for Dublin through the BIIGC.

Ian Mor admitted publicly, the threat of "joint authority" by the British compelled his party into agreeing power sharing with Nationalists....fact.

Talk Back

The fact remains - the majority of the people of Ireland do not want foreign rule in our country.

We voted in 1918. Why should self-determination continue to be denied to Ireland by an occupying foreign country?

If there were real democracy in Ireland, the British occupation would have ended a long time ago.

livingstone

The fact remains - the majority of the people of Ireland do not want foreign rule in our country.

We voted in 1918. Why should self-determination continue to be denied to Ireland by an occupying foreign country?

If there were real democracy in Ireland, the British occupation would have ended a long time ago.
1998 vote trumps 1918 vote.

Barroso

No
Brits couldn't give a dam about Ireland north or south
Lets not settle for anything other than complete freedom for the people of NI
Not so.

They continue to sell their goods here, and are the main distributors of 3rd party goods into this island.
In other words, they continued to make a lot of money out of us after they removed their garrison.

Now, if you said they couldn't give a damn about our welfare, I'd agree with you.

livingstone

jmcc

Seems that livingstone is a pro-British partitionist rather than an Irish nationalist.

Mickeymac

That link doesn't address my post whatsoever - I was responding to a poster who claimed a GE result in 1918 result as some sort of argument against the principle of consent. Total BS.

Now, if you disagree that it's BS, feel free to make your argument. Glib one-liner and irrelevant link doesn't cut it.

Not surprised you respond to something from the distant past, but feel content to ignore a link a few hours old, get what's happening and quit the insults.

livingstone

Not surprised you respond to something from the distant past, but feel content to ignore a link a few hours old, get what's happening and quit the insults.
'Something from the distant past' - you mean the GFA? An extant international Agreement of the UK and Ireland, and supported democratically and as close to universally as doesn't matter?

And instead you want me to address some point or argument in an article that you are either unable or (being charitable) too lazy to actually make yourself.

If you have an argument against my post, make it. Hiding behind irrelevant newspaper articles with zero argument to make yourself is pathetic.

Mickeymac

'Something from the distant past' - you mean the GFA? An extant international Agreement of the UK and Ireland, and supported democratically and as close to universally as doesn't matter?

And instead you want me to address some point or argument in an article that you are either unable or (being charitable) too lazy to actually make yourself.

If you have an argument against my post, make it. Hiding behind irrelevant newspaper articles with zero argument to make yourself is pathetic.

You dismissed the 1918 vote earlier and claimed the 1998 was in someway more legitimate, WTFU pal and smell the coffee, the GFA has been used and abused by the British in recent weeks to keep their 10 bigoted DUP supporters on board to force a Brexit on the island of Ireland which no one wants.

Keep up with events as they unfold pal instead of mixing and twisting your feeble arguments to enhance your anti Irish agenda.