Joint Authority as a temporary Brexit solution for NI?

livingstone

You dismissed the 1918 vote earlier and claimed the 1998 was in someway more legitimate,
Yep. Because (a) the 1998 vote endorsed an international agreement which still exists and (b) the 1998 vote in support of the GFA continues to reflect the will of the Irish people by all metrics.

WTFU pal and smell the coffee, the GFA has been used and abused by the British in recent weeks to keep their 10 bigoted DUP supporters on board to force a Brexit on the island of Ireland which no one wants.

Keep up with events as they unfold pal instead of mixing and twisting your feeble arguments to enhance your anti Irish agenda.
I'm not sure how you think any of that contradicts what I said.

Mickeymac

What do you think is insulting in pointing out that the vast majority of Irish people support the GFA?

Are you now claiming, May and her 10 unionist sectarian bigots who support her in parliament are in support of the GFA?

Mickeymac

Yep. Because (a) the 1998 vote endorsed an international agreement which still exists and (b) the 1998 vote in support of the GFA continues to reflect the will of the Irish people by all metrics.

I'm not sure how you think any of that contradicts what I said.

Common knowledge pal, the Brits breached the GFA almost three years ago when they voted Brexit. In a feeble attempt to heal the deep divisions within Toryism they now seem intent on tearing it to shreds to placate onionism in the orange state.

livingstone

Are you now claiming, May and her 10 unionist sectarian bigots who support her in parliament are in support of the GFA?
Where did I claim that?

I said I support the GFA and that the Irish people support the GFA. I have said nothing about whether or not May or the DUP support it.

livingstone

Common knowledge pal, the Brits breached the GFA almost three years ago when they voted Brexit. In a feeble attempt to heal the deep divisions within Toryism they now seem intent on tearing it to shreds to placate onionism in the orange state.
Brexit, in itself, does not breach the GFA.

Brexit in a way that results in a hard border very well may - though much like the Brexiteers, your focus on legalities of breach (where you're probably wrong even if there's a hard border) rather than on practical effect, is misplaced.

As I've said in more posts than I can count - Brexit, and even a hard border, is not contrary to any of the express terms of the GFA. The risk to the GFA from a hard border is not any formal breach of international obligations, it is that it rips up the careful balance struck by the GFA which has ensured peace. The hard line Brexiteers who are cavalier with that, and prepared to countenance a hard border, are abhorrent in putting that peace at risk.

I believe the answer has to be for Ireland to double down on the terms of the GFA, not to rip it up as gleefully as the hardcore Brexiteers would.

Mickeymac

Where did I claim that?

I said I support the GFA and that the Irish people support the GFA. I have said nothing about whether or not May or the DUP support it.

Quit playing games pal.... you claimed the GFA was democratically supported Internationally and for reasons of your own decided to omit the abhorrence of the DUP to that said agreement, did you know that party are keeping the present Tory party and Government afloat, together with their motley crew of racist bigots and tax dodgers?

you mean the GFA? An extant international Agreement of the UK and Ireland, and supported democratically and as close to universally as doesn't matter?

livingstone

Quit playing games pal.... you claimed the GFA was democratically supported Internationally and for reasons of your own decided to omit the abhorrence of the DUP to that said agreement, did you know that party are keeping the present Tory party and Government afloat, together with their motley crew of racist bigots and tax dodgers?
Now you’re flat out lying.

This whole discussion (if you could call it that) has been about the democratic support for the GFA in the 1998 vote. It might surprise you but that vote was a vote in Ireland - both north and south.

At no point have I commented on whether May or the DUP support the GFA. If you can’t engage without lying, don’t engage.

Mickeymac

Now you’re flat out lying.

This whole discussion (if you could call it that) has been about the democratic support for the GFA in the 1998 vote. It might surprise you but that vote was a vote in Ireland - both north and south.

At no point have I commented on whether May or the DUP support the GFA. If you can’t engage without lying, don’t engage.

Deny all day if you choose to, but this is what you said pal

you mean the GFA? An extant international Agreement of the UK and Ireland, and supported democratically and as close to universally as doesn't matter?

Mickeymac

That post does not say whether or not May and the DUP support the GFA. Stop lying.

You really are some piece of work pal, you claimed the GFA was supported democratically, how can that be when the British government are kept in power by their partners in the DUP who, against democratic votes do not support that said Agreement?

Sober up ffs.

livingstone

You really are some piece of work pal, you claimed the GFA was supported democratically, how can that be when the British government are kept in power by their partners in the DUP who, against democratic votes do not support that said Agreement?

Sober up ffs.
It was, and is, supported democratically by the Irish people. That is the only claim I made. I made no claim as to the support of May or the DUP. Stop. Lying.

Mickeymac

It was, and is, supported democratically by the Irish people. That is the only claim I made. I made no claim as to the support of May or the DUP. Stop. Lying.

You twist, squirm and turn pal, anything at all to suit your agenda and previous false claims and statements, you have a problem and I sure ain't gonna sort it out for you, seek the professionals.:lol:

livingstone

You twist, squirm and turn pal, anything at all to suit your agenda and previous false claims and statements, you have a problem and I sure ain't gonna sort it out for you, seek the professionals.:lol:
No squirming at all. Objective facts demonstrated by my posts.

jmcc

Amazing how many people claim knowledge of those times but weren't even old enough to vote in the GFA referendum.

Breanainn

It's quite clear livingstone was referring to the democratic mandate for the GFA in the Republic, among nationalists, and within the unionist community - whether or not the DUP supports it is immaterial.