• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Jolitics.ie?

He3

RTÉ said:
Bebo founder Michael Birch is in Dublin today for the Dublin Web Summit, which will see over 500 business people attending. Mr B!tch says the Bebo story is really about competition and timing in the market.
It may also be about proofreading.

Mr Birch is also starting up a new political social networking site called Jolitics. Launching soon, it will be issue based and not party based. Because of Bebo's success in Ireland, it will be one of its first markets.
Jolitics.ie?

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0624/mibusiness.html

jmcc

Interesting choice of domains. It hasn't been registered in .ie and the .com site does exist in Alpha

Domain name: jolitics.com

Registrant Contact:
Jolitics, Inc.
Michael Birch ()

Fax:
387 Tehama St
San Francisco, CA 94103
US

Administrative Contact:
Jolitics, Inc.
Jesse House (domains@monkeyinferno.com)
Fax:
387 Tehama St
San Francisco, CA 94103
US

Technical Contact:
Jolitics, Inc.
Jesse House (domains@monkeyinferno.com)
Fax:
387 Tehama St
San Francisco, CA 94103
US

Jolitics

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:

jmcc

I have a feeling that the Ie registry domain lot aren't too keen on sound alike domains.
It is an intellectual property rights issue in that Jolitics would not be allowed to register a .ie domain unless it has a US, Irish, UK or Community trademark and or significant connection with Ireland. Looking at the domain record for Jolitics.com, it is at risk of problems in that it only seems to be registered in .com and .co.uk at the moment. It is easier to register a .co.uk domain than a .ie domain.

A website targeting the Irish market has to have a .ie website as people are beginning to think in terms of .ie being the default Irish website extension.

From what I remember, the bebo.ie domain was cybersquatted by that Eubrowser pair and had to be recovered. If I had to guess, Birch may use his Bebo experience to build something along the same lines - social media being such a big thing at the moment.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:

Podolski1.5

maybe he should have called it bolitics.com

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
It is an intellectual property rights issue in that Jolitics would not be allowed to register a .ie domain unless it has a US, Irish, UK or Community trademark and or significant connection with Ireland. Looking at the domain record for Jolitics.com, it is at risk of problems in that it only seems to be registered in .com and .co.uk at the moment. It is easier to register a .co.uk domain than a .ie domain.

A website targeting the Irish market has to have a .ie website as people are beginning to think in terms of .ie being the default Irish website extension.

From what I remember, the bebo.ie domain was cybersquatted by that Eubrowser pair and had to be recovered. If I had to guess, Birch may use his Bebo experience to build something along the same lines - social media being such a big thing at the moment.

Regards...jmcc
Blowing our own trumpet here but surely touching base with the likes of DC to pick his brains about what running p.ie has been like would have been a sensible step to take, feck it I'll offer k.now solutions services for a reasonable consideration.

jmcc

Blowing our own trumpet here but surely touching base with the likes of DC to pick his brains about what running p.ie has been like would have been a sensible step to take,
It would have been. :) But then Bebo was a popular website once.

feck it I'll offer k.now solutions services for a reasonable consideration.
Don't forget to brand yourself as a Social Media consultant. Apparently it is the in thing amongst the Dublin Digerati at the moment. :) I just know a few things about domain names and am awed by their expertise.

Regards...jmcc

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
It would have been. :) But then Bebo was a popular website once.

Don't forget to brand yourself as a Social Media consultant. Apparently it is the in thing amongst the Dublin Digerati at the moment. :) I just know a few things about domain names and am awed by their expertise.

Regards...jmcc
I haff a tweeter account and a facebook one, so I'm well ahead of the curve on being a social media consultant! I will try and hide my background in actual computer engineering and working for companies that made real software as apparently knowing what goes on under the hood is a massive drawback in these days of sourcery magic, I mean social media. I will have a short lived column in a Sunday paper and a chaotic and mysterious awards show yet!

cjudge

Is Paddy Cosgrave involved at all? He was photographed looking very friendly with Birch in today's Indo.

Birch has set out his stall in the Innovation supplement of today's IT (and print version of the Indo). Jolitics.com will be up and running by the end of the Summer. The site will be coded to allow the smartest voices to rise and to lose the non productive blusterers, hijackers etc. P.ie look out!!
Life after Bebo - The Irish Times - Fri, Jun 25, 2010

ibis

I haff a tweeter account and a facebook one, so I'm well ahead of the curve on being a social media consultant! I will try and hide my background in actual computer engineering and working for companies that made real software as apparently knowing what goes on under the hood is a massive drawback in these days of sourcery magic, I mean social media. I will have a short lived column in a Sunday paper and a chaotic and mysterious awards show yet!
Here's a handy training video for your new career: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKCdexz5RQ8]YouTube - The Social Media Guru[/ame]

jmcc

Is Paddy Cosgrave involved at all? He was photographed looking very friendly with Birch in today's Indo.
Not sure. Isn't he the chap who set up the Dublin Web Summit thing?

Birch has set out his stall in the Innovation supplement of today's IT (and print version of the Indo). Jolitics.com will be up and running by the end of the Summer.
Reads like a puff piece with no really hard questions.

The site will be coded to allow the smartest voices to rise and to lose the non productive blusterers, hijackers etc. P.ie look out!!
Domain-wise, it is a clusterf*ck of an operation with poor brand protection.

There is a .ie application for jolitics.ie pending.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc

Madam Editor will be upset :)
"For Bebo co-founder Michael Birch, who sold the site to AOL for about $850 million (€67 million) in 2008"

Regards...jmcc

CookieMonster

Madam Editor will be upset :)
"For Bebo co-founder Michael Birch, who sold the site to AOL for about $850 million (€67 million) in 2008"

Regards...jmcc
He got screwed on the exchange rate?

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane

Birch has set out his stall in the Innovation supplement of today's IT (and print version of the Indo). Jolitics.com will be up and running by the end of the Summer. The site will be coded to allow the smartest voices to rise and to lose the non productive blusterers, hijackers etc. P.ie look out!!
Life after Bebo - The Irish Times - Fri, Jun 25, 2010
Apparently, invite emails are being slipped under doors and such like.

http://www.mamanpoulet.com/bebo-founder-gives-new-politics-site-an-irish-roll-out/

I must rush back to see if mine has arrived!