Jonathan Irwin to stand for Kildare South as an Independent

darach

Jonathan Irwin, founder of the Jack & Jill charity and husband of Senator Mary Ann O'Brien has announced that he will contest the next General Election in Kildare South as an Independent.

Jack & Jill charity founder to run for election - RTÉ News

Irwin stated that "he hopes to run as an Independent candidate in the Kildare South constituency because he has become frustrated at the lack of new people entering the Irish political scene".

At 72, Irwin only intends to serve as a TD for one term if he is elected.

Analyzer

Good on him. We need more choice. People of KES have another option on the ballot if they are not happy with the existing candidates.

Ribeye

is this the guy that was on Marian this morning?

if it was.....move on,

he's one of them....

nationalsday

An Irish case of the old Etonian in politics gig. Still - can't be any worse than the Healy Raes re dress sense

Last edited:

ruserious

He'll be nearly 75 come the next election and 80 if he serves his term. I'm not for a minute suggesting he not run because of his age, but is an 80 year old man the answer we need to get this country some good governance?

turdsl

Good on him. We need more choice. People of KES have another option on the ballot if they are not happy with the existing candidates.
Fair play to anyone who has the guts to put their name on a ballot paper.That is the basis of our democracy,they give us choice,

Sierra

Good for him. But these independents need to start coming together.
How can they when many of them have widely different political / economic / social views?

Its like people suggesting Lucinda Creighton should setup a new party to give us an "alternative". Some alternative that would be considering she supported the governments budget measures and the likes. :rolleyes:

Sister Mercedes

How can they when many of them have widely different political / economic / social views?

Its like people suggesting Lucinda Creighton should setup a new party to give us an "alternative". Some alternative that would be considering she supported the governments budget measures and the likes. :rolleyes:
I don't mean all of them. But say Donnelly, Ross, Irwin, and some others. I think most Dublin constituencies, and a lot of Leinster constituencies, would have enough voters to return a candidate with their sorts of views on economic and reform issues.

Analyzer

What about a left alternative ?

Shortall, Broughan, Keaveney.

I reckon that it would be far more popular that Spoofer Gilmore and the Stickies.

Mr Pseudonym

Potentially a Harrovian AND an Etonian in the Dail. I wonder when was the last time that happened.

jacko

What about a left alternative ?

Shortall, Broughan, Keaveney.

I reckon that it would be far more popular that Spoofer Gilmore and the Stickies.
I bet you regret listing Keaveney as part of a left alternative !!

Gurdiev

Does one term as a TD entitle the candidate to a pension for the rest of his life. ?
is there a sliding scale relating to length of service .

gerhard dengler

The Atomisation of Dail representation is to be expected given the level of distrust that there is among the electorate.

Sister Mercedes

Does one term as a TD entitle the candidate to a pension for the rest of his life. ?
is there a sliding scale relating to length of service .
He would be close to 80 at the end of his single term. I doubt he's in it for the pension.

loner

Wonder what he hopes to do as a 75 year old newbie independent in the Dail

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom