Joseph 'Connor's Awful PaddyWhackery on the BBC

MoggyMcG

I happened to be listening to the BBC Radio 4's flagship current affairs programme "TODAY" this morning and, at about 8.20am, O'Connor comes on to do one of his Paul-Durcan-voiced harangues that was truly jock-stainingly embarrassing. He spoke about 2004 when "The Economist" endorsed us as Happy-Land, and bemoaned the fact (as I suppose we all do) that 300 weeks later...things, as they say, are not great!

It was the manner of his piece that wrankled with me...he chided Cowen's Fianna Fawlty (sic) and portrayed the GP as Manuel...and of course the Brits lap this sort of stuff up! But there was a bright side to his rant...just attend to this...he said that people in Ireland were returning to the Arts, because of the recession, under the tutelage of...wait for it..."OUR TALENTED CULTURE MINISTER, MARY HANNIFIN" !!!!!!!!!!!!

So, it would appear, the Reverend Mother has now got the services of Joe O'Connor to talk up her cred on the Beeb. He can't be that stuck for a few bob to peddle this shyte on the international stage.

Some of you boffins might be good enough to put up the link for the piece - to be found on the "Today" website.

slingshot

The real paddywhackery comes from Cowen our drunken Taoiseach, who manages to get himself on all the international media with the perfect stereotype as the drunken paddy. He does it in style though , he really does drink 8 pints of Carlsberg until 3.30am at a singsong with de party, is woken up by his handlers as he sleeps in, comes on the national broadcaster late and slurs his incomprehensible words with a "hoarse and congested"voice . What will be his next gig to top that? Could he top it off with perhaps 12 -15 pints of stout, a leprachaun suit, a fight, and dance a jig to explain his 50 billion screw up with his buddies the banks and developers. That should help with the national image a bit. O Connor only reflects what goes on....

sgtharper

It was the manner of his piece that wrankled with me...he chided Cowen's Fianna Fawlty (sic) and portrayed the GP as Manuel...and of course the Brits lap this sort of stuff up!
Do they really? Any evidence for this apart from the ache to your shoulder caused by that railway-sleeper sized chip?

Yosser

Do they really? Any evidence for this apart from the ache to your shoulder caused by that railway-sleeper sized chip?
You're missing his point and I don't think the OP has a chip at all.He was listening to BBC Radio 4 in the first place. Hardly the natural home for a disgruntled Irish man.

I heard the piece too and I thought...mmm, this sort of stuff does not do much good in the long run. It was mildly funny but very negative. I did not think it too helpful for an economy that is trying to stay afloat and retain a small wee bit of credibility on the international stage.

sidney higginbottom

I heard the piece too and I thought...mmm, this sort of stuff does not do much good in the long run. It was mildly funny but very negative. I did not think it too helpful for an economy that is trying to stay afloat and retain a small wee bit of credibility on the international stage.
serious question.

exactly what credibility do you think Ireland deserves to retain on the international stage?

not national dignity, not 'paddy-whackery', just straight-forward credibility directly in exchange for having done some things right?

the BBC and Jay Leno aren't responsible for Cowen being half-cut on the radio or for an economic mess that looks like its got an educationally sub-normal monkey at the helm - they just reflect the reality.

GDPR

That only matters if you care or you think about it.
That puts most posters here and Mr. O'Connor at something of a disadvantage.

GDPR

serious question.

exactly what credibility do you think Ireland deserves to retain on the international stage?

not national dignity, not 'paddy-whackery', just straight-forward credibility directly in exchange for having done some things right?

the BBC and Jay Leno aren't responsible for Cowen being half-cut on the radio or for an economic mess that looks like its got an educationally sub-normal monkey at the helm - they just reflect the reality.
No so, what it reflects, from the "city" is the resentment that the "tiger" happened in the first place.
They believe we are where we deserve to be and where we should always have been, that is, somewhere far below themselves.

yellowfish

No so, what it reflects, from the "city" is the resentment that the "tiger" happened in the first place.
They believe we are where we deserve to be and where we should always have been, that is, somewhere far below themselves.
Link?
Evidence?
Who told you that they believed it and how does this person represent the majority?

I have mentioned it before, this obsession with British/Irish affairs tends to flow only one way.

sgtharper

Link?
Evidence?
Who told you that they believed it and how does this person represent the majority?

I have mentioned it before, this obsession with British/Irish affairs tends to flow only one way.
My point exactly, there's an annoying tendency throughout this site to make baseless assumptions and outrageous generalisations regarding percieved anti-Irish attitudes and sentiments amongst British people. Having lived in the UK for many years now I can state quite confidently that the attitude of most people here to Irish affairs is one of benign indifference at worst. The OP's comment that "the Brits lap this up" is utterly typical of this trend, insofar as Ireland's difficulties have been referred to at all in the UK media, it has been in terms of some understanding and a degree of sympathy. I've seen no evidence of gloating or anything like it. This pathetic, sour-faced chippyness is extremely unnattractive and indeed, demeaning, to Irish people as a whole.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies