• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

USER1234

Last edited:
Last edited:
Journal.ie releases all the letters, emails and faxes sent to Enda Kenny from the public about the referendum

THE SAME-SEX marriage referendum attracted global attention and provoked fierce debate throughout the spring. It also prompted a particularly high volume of letters and emails to Taoiseach Enda Kenny, especially given his support for the move.

Curious about the advice, questions and opinions sent to Kenny by the Irish public, TheJournal.ie filed a Freedom of Information request with the Taoiseach’s department.

The first thing that stands out from the letters and emails sent to Enda, is that the vast majority are against same-sex marriage, and the referendum.

Of the random sampling released to TheJournal.ie by the Taoiseach’s Department, three times as many opposed the referendum as supported it.

A small number related only to the cost of the referendum or whether the law could have been changed by the Oireachtas, without a plebiscite.

Secondly, many of those pleading with the Taoiseach used religious arguments, and a few even gave Enda a Biblical reading list, to encourage him to change his mind,
Read more: Thejournal.ie - READ: Letters sent to the Taoiseach about same-sex marriage

They also include a link to all the letters, emails and faxes released under TheJournal.ie’s FOI request as a pdf file: http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2015/08/thejournal_ie_ssm_letters_to_taoiseach.pdf

My Comments:
1) Yes i know the referendum is over, and Im very happy the Yes side won but i thought this would be of interest!!!

2)The the letters, emails and faxes are quite interesting to read!

3) It sad that so many people contacting him were against it, but its twice as sad that many of those against were using religion to ok continuing to discriminate against gay people

NYCKY

I think we are all happy that it is over.

One thing I can't understand in all this is why does it take so long to bring in legislation after the voters made the decision.

In the US when these decisions were made either by the courts, legislatures or referenda, people were able to get married the next day.

USER1234

Last edited:
Last edited:
I think we are all happy that it is over.

One thing I can't understand in all this is why does it take so long to bring in legislation after the voters made the decision.

In the US when these decisions were made either by the courts, legislatures or referenda, people were able to get married the next day.
Well to be fair the governments original plan was to have it signed into law by the president and the appropriate legislation passed before the dail recessed for it's summer break, so the marriages could start in the late autumn, but due to the legal challenges to the referendum (which have now been dismissed by the courts), the dail recessed for it's break before the challenges were heard so it can't be legislated for until they return which means it will be next year before the marriages can begin!!

Dame_Enda

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's a reminder that public submissions are often not representative of public opinion - something also relevant in the skewed Oireachtas Justice committee report on prostitution.

NYCKY

Well to be fair the governments original plan was to have it signed into law and the appropriate legislation passed before the dail recessed for it's summer break so the marriages could start in the late autumn, but due to the legal challenges to the referendum (which have now dismissed by the courts), the dail recessed for it's break before the challenges were heard so it can't be legislated for until they return which means it will be next year before the marriages can begin!!
OK but to be fair the vote was binary, it's either yes or no and if it was a yes, here is the legislation and if if was to be a no, then no legislation necessary.

As for summer break, I can't help but think that if this was a Nice or Lisbon rerun, the summer break would have been interrupted but maybe I am being cynical. :cool:

USER1234

Last edited:
Last edited:
OK but to be fair the vote was binary, it's either yes or no and if it was a yes, here is the legislation and if if was to be a no, then no legislation necessary.

As for summer break, I can't help but think that if this was a Nice or Lisbon rerun, the summer break would have been interrupted but maybe I am being cynical. :cool:
people do have the right to challenge referendum results in our courts under some circumstances!!

Again to be fair, they had no idea when the court challenges would be concluded so they couldn't justify extending the time before the summer break!!

NeilW

Can I be the first to ask whether any of the letters / emails / faxes against cited emulation as the basis of their arguments?

dizillusioned

yes you are being cynical, we ALL know that the best minds always work tirelessly to push through legislation after it passes through a referendum.....Austin Bolt on acid couldn't be faster... Less of the cynicism please

Congalltee

Last edited:
Last edited:
Journal.ie is pathetic.
It likes openness about referendum. It does journalism (if FOI counts as a scoop). It has a broad range.
...but allows zero comments about Denis O'Brien. Nor did it cover Catherine Murphy's privileged comments in the Dail (when a first year law student could tell them they were fine to do so).

Man or Mouse

Journal.ie is pathetic.
It likes openness about referendum. It does journalism (if FOI counts as a scoop). It has a broad range.
...but allows zero connects about Denis O'Brien. Nor did it cover Catherine Murphy's privileged comments in the Dail (when a first year law student could tell them they were fine to do so).
Might they be afraid of Dinny's lawsuits?

deepness

Journal.ie is pathetic.
...but allows zero connects about Denis O'Brien. Nor did it cover Catherine Murphy's privileged comments in the Dail (when a first year law student could tell them they were fine to do so).
Used to be decent enough...but a large amount of tabloid nonsense and a few key changes in personnel...and it now pretty crap. It's not the only site on that slope. Breaking news.ie is also gone to complete pot.

Polybius

Journal.ie is pathetic.
Journal.ie only covers stories about gays and abortion. The opium of the youth.

Mad as Fish

Quick, look over here, nothing to see round at Dinny Boys gaffe!

HarryN

Website
propertyandfreedom.org
Read more: Thejournal.ie - READ: Letters sent to the Taoiseach about same-sex marriage

They also include a link to all the letters, emails and faxes released under TheJournal.ie’s FOI request as a pdf file: http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2015/08/thejournal_ie_ssm_letters_to_taoiseach.pdf

My Comments:
1) Yes i know the referendum is over, and Im very happy the Yes side won but i thought this would be of interest!!!

2)The the letters, emails and faxes are quite interesting to read!

3) It sad that so many people contacting him were against it, but its twice as sad that many of those against were using religion to ok continuing to discriminate against gay people
The Journal is awful, I deleted the app a few months ago. The "journalism" is cringeworthy and the bias is at a ridiculous level.
You can notice by the Journal comments section that any intelligent readers have ditched them long ago. Mostly semi literate scobes remaining.

Roll_On

Some of those letters are very amusing. Most seem to be very confused over what the referendum was on. Some even didn't really understand the concept of homosexuality.

Strange people indeed, if I didn't know about/understand something I'd read about it, long before I'd go writing letters. Silence is, after all, the best substitute for intelligence.

artfoley56

the SSM referendum has been and gone. they should have FOIed the letters & emails to enda about IW and Enda's emails and letters to IW

HereWeGoAgain

the SSM referendum has been and gone. they should have FOIed the letters & emails to enda about IW and Enda's emails and letters to IW
Those would certainly be worth reading art.
Together with any in relation to DOB and his contributions to the party prior to the awarding of the second mobile phone licence (which are documented); the Moriarty Report which he promised 'would not gather dust on a shelf' and the IW Metering Contract, which again, DOB was successful in acquiring - not to mention the acquisition of Siteserv.

Nudavongs

Interesting! I wonder was there some pre-filtration exercise? I don't see any abuse words for gay people nor any references to paedophilia, AIDS etc...

HarryN

Website
propertyandfreedom.org
In fairness, these letters were written by well intentioned citizens who may not fully realise that the dice is loaded against them from the start. Even the title of the "Equality" referendum was biased.

40% of the population are unrepresented in the parliament.

Nothing will stop the leftyliberal agenda steamroller. Homo marriage, unbridled immigration, expanding statism, political appointees, unsustainable welfare state, liberal abortion, restricted prostitution etc etc.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom