• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

nationalsday

I'd say that most of the letter writers were regular journal.ie commentators in any event. They'll just be rereading their own harangues again

Mitsui2

Can I be the first to ask whether any of the letters / emails / faxes against cited emulation as the basis of their arguments?
If the "anti" arguments on here were anything to go by they probably included the kitchen sink and all!

Roll_On

Interesting! I wonder was there some pre-filtration exercise? I don't see any abuse words for gay people nor any references to paedophilia, AIDS etc...
if you skim through all the letters you'll get a great read. The one's on the journal main page are a selection of the milder ones.

Roll_On

In fairness, these letters were written by well intentioned citizens who may not fully realise that the dice is loaded against them from the start. Even the title of the "Equality" referendum was biased.
Describing giving same sex marriage EQUAL status to Opposite Sex marriage as 'Marriage Equality' is perfectly reasonable. You'd really have to do some verbal gymnastics to call it anything else.

40% of the population are unrepresented in the parliament.
37% of people voted no. That doesn't mean that they are unrepresented, it means that their view on this particular issue is unrepresented. Nobody really expects their elected reps to reflect their views 100% of the time. Especially on comparitively trivial issues that don't affect them.

Ren84

Read more: Thejournal.ie - READ: Letters sent to the Taoiseach about same-sex marriage

They also include a link to all the letters, emails and faxes released under TheJournal.ie’s FOI request as a pdf file: http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2015/08/thejournal_ie_ssm_letters_to_taoiseach.pdf

My Comments:
1) Yes i know the referendum is over, and Im very happy the Yes side won but i thought this would be of interest!!!

2)The the letters, emails and faxes are quite interesting to read!

3) It sad that so many people contacting him were against it, but its twice as sad that many of those against were using religion to ok continuing to discriminate against gay people
Half the submissions to Enda were from Field Mouse and Dongler. :cool:

Bill

the one to Enda Kelly, I would dropped back in the post with 'not known at this address' written on it

artfoley56

the one to Enda Kelly, I would dropped back in the post with 'not known at this address' written on it
in fairness, given his propensity for disappearing when the going gets tough and for spending most of his time in mayo canvassing, I would have sent back the ones addressed to enda kenny as 'not known at this address'

Nudavongs

In fairness, these letters were written by well intentioned citizens who may not fully realise that the dice is loaded against them from the start. Even the title of the "Equality" referendum was biased.

40% of the population are unrepresented in the parliament.

Nothing will stop the leftyliberal agenda steamroller. Homo marriage, unbridled immigration, expanding statism, political appointees, unsustainable welfare state, liberal abortion, restricted prostitution etc etc.
It was 37% who voted no.

John McGuinness, Jim Walsh, Michael Healy Rae, Mattie McGrath, Fidelma Healy Eames, Rónán Mullen and Feargal Quinn are still members of the Oireachtas so please explain your "unrepresented" comment.

Ren84

It was 37% who voted no.

John McGuinness, Jim Walsh, Michael Healy Rae, Mattie McGrath, Fidelma Healy Eames, Rónán Mullen and Feargal Quinn are still members of the Oireachtas so please explain your "unrepresented" comment.
Oh God, let's not get them started again on how 63% of the electorate either voted no or didn't vote at all and really only 37% of the people actually support SSM (yes this argument by those salty over the result was actually used!).

P Ryan

I haven't been able to post comments on the Journal since the DOB Siteserv debacle. Back then, I made a comment criticising the journal for not allowing comments on most of the Dinny related articles, and since then I'm able to type out a comment, but it doesn't appear when I hit the submit button.

No point in registering under a different moniker either, since it requires your mobile phone number, but as others have said here, that site has gone largely to pot in more recent times, so no loss really - a lot of the old regulars there seem to have disappeared also, so I'd assume many of those also were silenced.

Franzoni

What level of Hell did i wake up in this morning...?

Just what this site needs....another marriage equality thread (now redundant) rolled into propaganda and shilling for FG....:roll:

Skypeme

Riveting stuff this, we have access to the personal mail of Inda on an issue that is way past its sell-by date. But what the hell, let's have another go at the homophobes who were so trenchantly opposed to the great liberation of the oppressed, lets have a laugh at them because they exercised their democratic right to petition the Taoiseach, or any other politician for that matter.

Joined by the resident romophobes, the OP IS having a laugh, how could they have voted No when the great and good of Irish society, Up for It, Hozier, Bressie, Dustin, BOD and a host of other celebs, were jumping on the bandwagon of a media frenzy.

Not to be deterred the OP invites us to trawl through what I expect is about a couple hundred letters, unearthed by the Journal.ie (Ch4ist) expressing a dissenting point of view on the SSM issue. How dare they raise any objection to Inda's latest effort to a&se-wag for the Labour party.

The OP chooses to ignore the miles of column inches and hours of 'interviews' produced by hack journalists in favour of SSM. End-to-end their scribbling and mouthing would probably stretch to Castlebar and back.

What a victory, almost complete media and political connivance to push through an issue that will not matter one jot to the health service, employment, the economy or our huge burden of debt - not to mention Irish Water and a host of other f^cfkups.

Misandry Molly, Inda and Amadan O'Riordan probably feel pleased with winning one out of a number of referenda, but this may be their Juvenal moment - the latest polls show that bread and media circuses have not deflected the common people to their neglect of wider concerns.

Beware the Ides of March 2016!

cricket

Read more: Thejournal.ie - READ: Letters sent to the Taoiseach about same-sex marriage

They also include a link to all the letters, emails and faxes released under TheJournal.ie’s FOI request as a pdf file: http://cdn.thejournal.ie/media/2015/08/thejournal_ie_ssm_letters_to_taoiseach.pdf

My Comments:
1) Yes i know the referendum is over, and Im very happy the Yes side won but i thought this would be of interest!!!

2)The the letters, emails and faxes are quite interesting to read!

3) It sad that so many people contacting him were against it, but its twice as sad that many of those against were using religion to ok continuing to discriminate against gay people
Groups such as Iona, Alive magazine and others called things like cathecuminists are old hands at organising campaigns of public reps.They try to give the impression that they are part of a silent majority.A few years ago, I actually witnessed one youth defence guy (even though he was in his 40's) ring two FF TD's claiming to be speaking on behalf of just about everybody in the consituency and saying that he and hundreds of others would be canvassing against them in the next GE if they didn't go along with his view. Think it was to do with legislation to allow for the childrens' referendum. In fairness, one TD told him to shag off and the other gave a non-commital answer.
Within a few minutes, the TD's were rung to assure them that yer man didn't even represent his own household let alone anyone else.

Sesna

I haven't been able to post comments on the Journal since the DOB Siteserv debacle. Back then, I made a comment criticising the journal for not allowing comments on most of the Dinny related articles, and since then I'm able to type out a comment, but it doesn't appear when I hit the submit button.

No point in registering under a different moniker either, since it requires your mobile phone number, but as others have said here, that site has gone largely to pot in more recent times, so no loss really - a lot of the old regulars there seem to have disappeared also, so I'd assume many of those also were silenced.
The site is gone to pot because of the ineptitude of commenters. And because of random comments about Denis OBrien and Irish Water on every single article. Life is much better since I stopped logging onto that sad excuse for a news site and stopped getting an unwanted insight into the pathetic angry existence of a certain portion of the population of this country.

MjrMarv

In fairness, with representatives of that calibre, you can't blame people for feeling unrepresented ;)

Polybius

Enda Kenny has always supported gay marriage. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.

MjrMarv

Enda Kenny has always supported gay marriage. Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia.
Does it matter whether it's a position he's always held? Do we expect people to hold the same views throughout the entirety of their lives, no matter what?

Polybius

Does it matter whether it's a position he's always held? Do we expect people to hold the same views throughout the entirety of their lives, no matter what?
I think the blatant political opportunism in supporting gay marriage does matter.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom