Journalism & Media - The Most Dangerous Civilian Profession?

shiel

Sounds to me like you would not kill any journalists, or incite anyone else to do it, but you will not over-strive to keep them alive either, like seeking justice or retribution on their murderers.

And you cannot cite a single example of journalist or journalists, or what they did in particular to incite your ire.?

I am sure there are may be more bad journalists than good ones, but that is also true of drivers, musicians and other novelists. Besides, "good" or "bad" journalism is a matter of taste - I cannot abide The Sun or (in general) any Rupert Murdoch owned paper.

But we have to keep remembering that media including internet media is the most powerful institution in a democracy.

It determines public opinion.

Brexit happened in 2016 because London media spent previous decades in anti-EU propaganda.

Johnson is going to become PM in the UK because of media support.

This country was bankrupt in the decade before 2009 because the decisions that brought it about were supported by the Irish media.

The people whose decisions bankrupt the country still have the support of the Irish media and are going to the next government in this country because of continued media support.

Baron von Biffo

Sounds to me like you would not kill any journalists, or incite anyone else to do it, but you will not over-strive to keep them alive either, like seeking justice or retribution on their murderers.

And you cannot cite a single example of journalist or journalists, or what they did in particular to incite your ire.?

I am sure there are may be more bad journalists than good ones, but that is also true of drivers, musicians and other novelists. Besides, "good" or "bad" journalism is a matter of taste - I cannot abide The Sun or (in general) any Rupert Murdoch owned paper.
All this is a product of your rich imagination and has absolutely no basis in anything I posted.

My first post merely answered the question posed in the thread title in the negative and made no judgement whatsoever on journalists.

The second post was in response to someone who said that journalists should stop telling the truth and I expressed a desire to see them start telling it. That expresses a disdain for the profession but in no way either incites or condones murder or any other violence towards them.

I can't cite specific references to a journalist lying because, although they loudly and frequently decry the defamation laws, journalists are very quick to lash out the writs when they smell a few quid in it for themselves.

We live in a very small country so most of us will have seen at least one story about which we have considerable knowledge reported nationally. The first time I was in that situation I was genuinely shocked at how inaccurate the reports were and how little interest there appeared to be in establishing the facts. What shocked me even more was that one journalist won an award for their coverage of the story.

Some years later my company was tangentially involved in a matter covered by a media organ. Reading the story it was immediately clear that the journalist had spoken to someone in the company but it was also clear that he was unable to grasp what he'd been told. And it wasn't that the errors of fact in that case were in furtherance of an agenda, it was just a matter of someone out of his depth trying to relay information he didn't understand.

As a result of those and other cases, I've developed a deep scepticism of what the media report. It's my sincere belief - and I've seen nothing to undermine it - that most journalists would publish a story, knowing it to be untrue, exaggerated or distorted, if it suited their purposes.

owedtojoy

All this is a product of your rich imagination and has absolutely no basis in anything I posted.

My first post merely answered the question posed in the thread title in the negative and made no judgement whatsoever on journalists.

The second post was in response to someone who said that journalists should stop telling the truth and I expressed a desire to see them start telling it. That expresses a disdain for the profession but in no way either incites or condones murder or any other violence towards them.

I can't cite specific references to a journalist lying because, although they loudly and frequently decry the defamation laws, journalists are very quick to lash out the writs when they smell a few quid in it for themselves.

We live in a very small country so most of us will have seen at least one story about which we have considerable knowledge reported nationally. The first time I was in that situation I was genuinely shocked at how inaccurate the reports were and how little interest there appeared to be in establishing the facts. What shocked me even more was that one journalist won an award for their coverage of the story.

Some years later my company was tangentially involved in a matter covered by a media organ. Reading the story it was immediately clear that the journalist had spoken to someone in the company but it was also clear that he was unable to grasp what he'd been told. And it wasn't that the errors of fact in that case were in furtherance of an agenda, it was just a matter of someone out of his depth trying to relay information he didn't understand.

As a result of those and other cases, I've developed a deep scepticism of what the media report. It's my sincere belief - and I've seen nothing to undermine it - that most journalists would publish a story, knowing it to be untrue, exaggerated or distorted, if it suited their purposes.
You are on the wrong thread.

This one is about the murder of journalists for reporting the truth about people in power. For every four crap journalists in the world, there is probably one excellent one, and they are the ones getting murdered.

Baron von Biffo

You are on the wrong thread.

This one is about the murder of journalists for reporting the truth about people in power. For every four crap journalists in the world, there is probably one excellent one, and they are the ones getting murdered.
We got to here because you were unhappy with my answer to the question in the OP. Since then I've just been answering your posts which accused me of all sorts of malicious intent.

owedtojoy

We got to here because you were unhappy with my answer to the question in the OP. Since then I've just been answering your posts which accused me of all sorts of malicious intent.
I now accept that your contributions were not malicious, but completely banal and irrelevant.

Last edited:

silverharp

oops

A journalist traveled to Ilhan Omar’s homeland of Somalia to challenge stereotypes and prove the country was “beautiful,” only to end up being killed by terrorists.

Before President Trump’s tweetstorm in which he encouraged Omar to go back and fix her own country, Somali-Canadian journalist Hodan Nalayeh was trying to do precisely that.

Nalayeh returned to the country of her birth to tell “uplifting” stories about Somalia, according to the Washington Post.

The journalist became well known for her relentlessly positive tweets about Somalia. Just one week ago, she lauded the “beauty” of the place.

On Friday last week, Nalayeh was killed in that very same town when al-Shabab militants stormed the Asasey Hotel in Kismayo.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies