• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Journalist Gemma O’Doherty to run for the presidency

venusian

This could really ruin the cosy cartel for keeping the worlds worst poet returning as president! She would make an excellent protest vote for people sick of the ongoing corruption,housing and hospital crisis in the state, coupled with the rancid politics of FFG that engage and encourage it.

Journalist Gemma O’Doherty has announced her intention to run for the presidency.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/journalist-gemma-o-doherty-announces-intention-to-run-for-the-presidency-1.3601337

In a statement circulated across social media on Sunday evening, Ms O’Doherty said: “As an Irish woman who loves her country to its core but hardly recognises it any more, I am deeply concerned about the unimaginable suffering and chaos so many of our people are subjected to daily.”

In a statement, Ms O’Doherty said it was time for Irish people to come together to demand change and to put an end to what she described as “the corruption that has infested Irish public life and the disgraceful squandering of our taxes and resources”.

Let the shouting begin!

Sync

Her statement indicates that she doesn't understand the brief of President or is unwilling to meet its requirements. If she wants to address the areas she has concerns around, becoming a TD is a better avenue. And a more likely winner for her.

razorblade

She seems like a suitable candidate i may just give her my vote she certainly sounds appealing.

venusian

Her statement indicates that she doesn't understand the brief of President or is unwilling to meet its requirements. If she wants to address the areas she has concerns around, becoming a TD is a better avenue. And a more likely winner for her.
Fair point but I reckon if she got elected FFG will be quaking in their boots!

"O’Doherty said that, while the presidency alone cannot fix these things, she would use it as a symbol to show how things should be done.
People will say to me ‘the presidency has no power’, I utterly refute that because I believe the presidency can set standards for the sort of society we want to live in and it can send out a very strong message on behalf of the people about the type of democracy that we want."

venusian

Can we have some summaries of what she did of merit in journalism?
There is plenty but anyone who was fired by Fine Gaels propaganda sheet, the Irish Independent, for having had the temerity to doorstep Ireland’s police commissioner is ok in my opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/apr/19/irish-investigative-reporter-lashes-media-bosses-for-newsroom-timidity
“Those of us who investigate corruption in public office make ourselves and our sources extremely vulnerable to those in power who would intimidate us, monitor our activities, threaten our safety and try to silence us. In return, we receive almost no support.

We work in an era where a culture of fear and timidity stalks many of our newsrooms. It has bred a generation of journalists who behave less like dogged agents of the public interest and more like compliant diplomats and spin doctors constantly looking over their shoulders and toeing the party line for compromised or connected bosses.”

DJP

There is plenty but anyone who was fired by Fine Gaels propaganda sheet, the Irish Independent, for having had the temerity to doorstep Ireland’s police commissioner is ok in my opinion.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/greenslade/2016/apr/19/irish-investigative-reporter-lashes-media-bosses-for-newsroom-timidity
“Those of us who investigate corruption in public office make ourselves and our sources extremely vulnerable to those in power who would intimidate us, monitor our activities, threaten our safety and try to silence us. In return, we receive almost no support.

We work in an era where a culture of fear and timidity stalks many of our newsrooms. It has bred a generation of journalists who behave less like dogged agents of the public interest and more like compliant diplomats and spin doctors constantly looking over their shoulders and toeing the party line for compromised or connected bosses.”

I was thinking that might be her. Just did a Google search for her also. I'm happy she's standing. :)

Mercurial

She was involved in exposing corruption of various sorts.

She also holds some pretty nutty views about LGBT people and abortion, among other things, so she has no hope of getting elected.

flavirostris

I'm voting for her for sure if she gets a nomination. Watch out for establishment skullduggery to try and keep her out.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Not really much hope for her to win. She might not even be nominated.

If she were to make it onto the ballot, the biggest question for me would be...where would her transfers go? Certainly not to the incumbent as they'd be polar opposites on most issues.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm voting for her for sure if she gets a nomination. Watch out for establishment skullduggery to try and keep her out.
Who (among the rumored candidates) would get your #2?

flavirostris

Degeneration X

2007 ESB National Media Awards (Print Campaigning and Social Issues)
2011 GSK Irish Medical Media Awards (Consumer Print Media)
Shortlisted for 2012 NNI Journalism Awards (Crime & Security Reporter of the Year and Feature Writer of the Year)
2012 International Journalism Festival
2016 Award of Recognition in the Women Filmmaker section at the Hollywood Independent Documentary Awards
2016 Award of Excellence in the Feature Documentary section at the Hollywood Independent Documentary Awards
2016 Award of Merit at IndieFEST Film Awards

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemma_O'Doherty

From Wiki so mind the source.

FOURGREENFIELDS

Stand by for an Irish Establishment Jeremy Corbyn style attack on her. EVERY thing she EVER did or said will be trawled over by the sinister, self serving media and political cartel in the South and highlighted in THE most negative, damaging way.