• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Journalist Gemma O’Doherty to run for the presidency

sic transit

It is a very smart move by her. For minimal expense she will win a lot of new recruits. She will know the support she can hope for going forward and it's location. People that expect her to go door to door and hang posters, are seriously living in the past.
Surprised to find myself agreeing with this but that's pretty much it - another self-promotion exercise.

rainmaker

Administrator
intended target market. You cannot have failed to noticed how Social Media was used to influence voting patterns.
You're selectively ignoring other examples though. The BNP also have many thousands of facebook subscribers, Youtube views & even party members, yet they cannot get above 1.5% of the vote.

You're also discounting the idea being sold, none of the campaigns you mention were seriously making mentally unstable claims.

As a message 'vote Trump' or 'Leave the EU' is one thing - but the Catholic church isn't responsible for the global abuse by it's clergy because the Communist party infiltrated it with Satanic pedophiles & gays to turn people against it is never going to convince anyone you're a sane, fit person to hold office.

Any political opponent is simply going to sit back and play the videos in their own online campaign.

Socratus O' Pericles

The GE is the toughest of the lot. More likely to end up in the first batch to be eliminated.
For sure. As a very experienced door to door campaigner I am sure this is right. People get a gossipy frisson from hearing about conspiracy, it's our inner teenager.

But people really care about the economy and the things meta of that jobs, healthcare, housing, education, public services such as roads and traffic, water and drainage, broadband etc etc.

This woman has not got an inkling about what it takes to be a a TD. A slight touch of the George Lees off her though she's nowhere near as intelligent or charismatic as him

Buchaill Dana

You're selectively ignoring other examples though. The BNP also have many thousands of facebook subscribers and Youtube hits yet they cannot get above 1.5% of the vote.

That aside, you're also discounting the idea being sold, none of the campaigns you mention were seriously making mentally unstable claims.

As a message 'vote Trump' or 'Leave the EU' is one thing - but the Catholic church isn't responsible for the global abuse by it's clergy because the Communist party infiltrated it with Satanic pedophiles & gays to turn people against it is never going to convince anyone you're a sane, fit person to hold office.

Any political opponent is simply going to sit back and play the videos in their own online campaign.
The alphabet being a Commie plot remains my favourite. Closly followed by Commie trans unicorns.

Her fans dont seem to realise that if she does press this is what hits her. Does she stick to her guns, it pays the bills, or do a Jones and say she was only messimg?

muttsnuts

It is their right to vote for her if they wish. It does seem to be upsetting the party voters that people will vote for candidates other than their party's candidates. Dublin is shaping up to be an interesting contest with a lot of non-party candidates. They may cause some more fragmentation of the already fragmented Left vote and the additon of Clare Daly to the ticket has certainly changed things. Gemma O'Doherty is not going to have an easy time from the Dublin media but if she leverages her Social Media campaigning, it could give some less adept candidates a bit of a shock if she gets a reasonable vote. She may not win a seat but it will be interesting to see all the party hacks on P.ie get very upset at her daring to run in "their" election.
I would like to stress that I have no party affiliations whatsoever. If anyone wants to run for election I would support their right to do that. But if they spout ridiculous shit online I equally have every right to point that out

laughingiraffe

The eu sham is finished anyways. What happens outside of Ireland will have more of an impact here.
Meps will be a thing if the past soon.

Polybius

Yes, I am completely not surprised that you would indulge in such childish stupidity. Do you really think the handful of votes she will attract are going to p*** anyone off?
You're pissed off by me even saying it.

The Nal

Her anti Muslim twitter rant hasn't gone down too well.

rainmaker

Administrator
You're pissed off by me even saying it.
You think because someone replies to your post they are p***d off? That is desperate wishful thinking on your part.

I just think it is indicative of an immature mindset that imagines wasting their vote on a loon is going to really upset anyone - do you really think anyone is going to care or even notice when her few hundred votes are announced?

No, they will be too busy paying attention to the real contest to notice.

You remind me of the kind of cretin here who votes BNP because they think contributing to their 1% vote share bothers anyone.

Polybius

You think because someone replies to your post they are p***d off? That is desperate wishful thinking on your part.

I just think it is indicative of an immature mindset that imagines wasting their vote on a loon is going to really upset anyone - do you really think anyone is going to care or even notice when her few hundred votes are announced?

No, they will be too busy paying attention to the real contest to notice.

You remind me of the kind of cretin here who votes BNP because they think contributing to their 1% vote share bothers anyone.
You are are definitely pissed off, or maybe you just have a hysterical nature.

But if you think any Irish votes will make a difference to the European Parliament (which doesn't even have powers to initiate legislation) then it's you who is politically immature. Go and vote for Ciaran Cuffe or Alice Mary Higgins and see how much difference it makes. I'll vote for Gemma O'Doherty and laugh while doing it.

Clanrickard

re.

But if you think any Irish votes will make a difference to the European Parliament (which doesn't even have powers to initiate legislation)
So what powers does it have? You have focuesed on the one power it doesn't have but initiating and passing are two different things. Also she is an anti-Vaxxer tw@t.

Polybius

So what powers does it have? You have focuesed on the one power it doesn't have but initiating and passing are two different things. Also she is an anti-Vaxxer tw@t.
It's a talking shop. A democratic facade for the undemocratic Brussels bureaucracy. I agree, she's a lunatic. But I would rather vote for a lunatic than help a gombeen on board the gravy train.

Clanrickard

It's a talking shop. A democratic facade for the undemocratic Brussels bureaucracy. I agree, she's a lunatic. But I would rather vote for a lunatic than help a gombeen on board the gravy train.
It isn't. The Europarl has power. Read up on it.

Clanrickard

. I agree, she's a lunatic. But I would rather vote for a lunatic than help a gombeen on board the gravy train.
uh...............ok. I really don't know what to say to that.

Cdebru

I'll vote for her. Not because I like her, but because it'll piss off the tossers in RTÉ and the Irish Times.
Great plan, we don't need responsible elected representatives, we need something to troll the Irish Times with.

jmcc

You're selectively ignoring other examples though. The BNP also have many thousands of facebook subscribers, Youtube views & even party members, yet they cannot get above 1.5% of the vote.
And it managed to get Nick Griffith elected as an MEP.

You're also discounting the idea being sold, none of the campaigns you mention were seriously making mentally unstable claims.
It all as to do with how the idea is packaged and the target market.

This was an example by Penn and Teller about a petition banning di-hydrogen monoxide.

You are not Irish and not a Catholic? Bring in John Paul II and the end of the Cold War and it becomes an attractive idea for older, more conservative Catholics looking for some simple explanation. What you and others don't seem to realise is that political ideas don't need to be true or even truthful. People will believe what they want to believe and those beliefs can be translated into votes if the packaging and targeting is done well. Many political party supporters are easy to psychologically manipulate because the "us and them" groundwork is already done. Maggie Thatcher and the Tory Party excelled at exploiting such divides.

You really haven't a clue about Irish politics if you can't distinguish activism from passive political broadcasting. The classic example in recent years was the moronic Labour party (Irish) Ashbourne Annie fiasco. Those wonderfully connected people created a fictional persona meant to represent what they thought was the average Labour voter. Unfortunately they failed to secure the Twitter username because it was already in use and the real Ashbourne Annie wasn't a Labour voter but then neither was most of the Irish electorate. It went from 37 seats in the 2011 GE to 7 in the 2016 GE.

Most voters never see the candidate for whom they vote in person from one election to the next. They depend on Social Media, their friends and the traditional media for their perceptions of the candidates. A candidate or party that has an ineffectual or incompetent Social Media presence will find it very difficult to compete with a candidate who uses Social Media well. Hitler did it with radio and news reels. Kennedy and Regan did it with television. Trump did it with Twitter. All of them turned supporters into activists. I don't know if Gemma O'Doherty has the abilities to use Social Media effectively enough to win votes but the way that she polarises the perpetually outraged and attracts supporters shows that she has a better understanding of it than you and some others here. If Social Media was as ineffective as you seem to think, governments would not be trying to restrict it with legislation and mumbling about "fake" news which drowns out their press releases.

jmcc

Great plan, we don't need responsible elected representatives, we need something to troll the Irish Times with.
The NCH fiasco suggests that we are still waiting for responsible elected representatives.