Journalist pleads guilty to sex offences

Hillmanhunter1

The Irish Independent reports as follows:
Well-known journalist pleads guilty to six sex offences - Independent.ie

The Irish Times also has the story;
Journalist pleads guilty to six sexual offences against girl

Both papers report that the man cannot be named for legal reasons.

Now I live nearly 6000km away from Ireland, have done for years, but I know who this story is about. I imagine I'm not alone in this regard.

Can anyone please explain to me why this person who has pleaded guilty to crimes in a court of law cannot be named?

D

Deleted member 17573

Now I live nearly 6000km away from Ireland, have done for years, but I know who this story is about. I imagine I'm not alone in this regard.

Can anyone please explain to me why this person who has pleaded guilty to crimes in a court of law cannot be named?
It's usually so as to prevent the identity of the victim being made public.

Hillmanhunter1

It's usually so as to prevent the identity of the victim being made public.
But saying that Mr X has pleaded guilty to sex offences does not identify the victim.

Perhaps you're not a lawyer either, but what is the legal basis for this?

Truth.ie

Not feeling the scahdenfraude on this one.
Any chance you can P.M the identity?

It potentially identifies the victims. Agreed that it seems odd that we all know who they are.

Hillmanhunter1

No schadenfreude on my part, this was a sad case for all involved I'm sure.

I have just noticed that his Wikipedia page identifies him as the person referred to in these reports.

But saying that Mr X has pleaded guilty to sex offences does not identify the victim.

Perhaps you're not a lawyer either, but what is the legal basis for this?
If there is a known link with, err a victim of a certain age then it seems to be normal. Everyone knows who is involved but it seems that there are protocols.

PBP voter

He was named by various media outlets in the past.

The articles are still on their websites.

brughahaha

The coverage of this case is the perfect example of how the Irish media and the Irish establishment never dare expose one of their own .....the inner circle , one of us and what we do isn't criminal mentality

The sympathetic treatment in the media , this paedophile received because of who he was stands in stark contrast to the named shamed and convicted by the media we see in so many other cases

Hypocritical bastards the lot of them

And note the word paedophile is never used in the article

Hillmanhunter1

If there is a known link with, err a victim of a certain age then it seems to be normal. Everyone knows who is involved but it seems that there are protocols.
The newspaper reports (Indo) that "Two of the charges related to the accused engaging in a sexual act with a girl under the age of 17 on dates in December 2010 and February 2011 at an address in Dublin."

Is it the case that the perpetrators of all sex crimes against minors are not named? If yes, is this a legal provision, i.e. is there a risk of prosecution if the identity is disclosed, or is a convention of some sort?

PBP voter

The coverage of this case is the perfect example of how the Irish media and the Irish establishment never dare expose one of their own .....the inner circle , one of us and what we do isn't criminal mentality

The sympathetic treatment in the media , this paedophile received because of who he was stands in stark contrast to the named shamed and convicted by the media we see in so many other cases

Hypocritical bastards the lot of them
So people should be named in such cases even if it identifies the victim?

eoghanacht

Took long enough.

PBP voter

The newspaper reports (Indo) that "Two of the charges related to the accused engaging in a sexual act with a girl under the age of 17 on dates in December 2010 and February 2011 at an address in Dublin."

Is it the case the the perpetrators of all sex crimes against minors are not named? If yes, is this a legal provision, i.e. is there a risk of prosecution if the identity is disclosed, or is a convention of some sort?
Victims can wave their anonymity. But I'm not sure they can do so before they are 18?

brughahaha

So people should be named in such cases even if it identifies the victim?
I doesn't matter , everyone knows , but that's not what I said.

Every report I have seen on this case has been very sympathetic to the paedophile in its tone , very controlled in its language ........ why , because of who he is and stands in direct contrast to how other cases of non journalists were reported

Is it the case the the perpetrators of all sex crimes against minors are not named? If yes, is this a legal provision, i.e. is there a risk of prosecution if the identity is disclosed, or is a convention of some sort?

A distant relative was done for something similar. The same rules applied. It's not something which necessarily applies only to the Hoi Polloi.

mr_anderson

Unlikely.
It's there to protect the victim.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies