• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

JP McManus on economy

diablo

From Sunday Indo: One of the country's most successful businessmen, JP McManus, believes the Taoiseach Brian Cowen he should be given a chance to get Ireland out of the current economic slump. "I think we are in good hands and we will leave it to them," Mr McManus said in Limerick yesterday.

Who are "We". He's a tax exile so who's hands is he in ? Gombeens in Limerick treat this guy like a hero because he throws a few quid at the county...just not his income tax.

Catalpa

From Sunday Indo: One of the country's most successful businessmen, JP McManus, believes the Taoiseach Brian Cowen he should be given a chance to get Ireland out of the current economic slump. "I think we are in good hands and we will leave it to them," Mr McManus said in Limerick yesterday.

Who are "We". He's a tax exile so who's hands is he in ? Gombeens in Limerick treat this guy like a hero because he throws a few quid at the county...just not his income tax.
The way things have been run around here for the last few years you would think it was JP McManus that had been the Taoiseach!

They say Bertie was fond of the ol GGs mind....

drbob1972

one has to wonder just how coloured his opinion is given that the current government and its past itterations since 97 have been most supportive in enabling his wealth creation and tax minimalisation

john f

McManus should put his money into the country that he maintains he loves. If not he should not hold an Irish passport and needs to be treated by Irish people with the respect that he deserves. J.P. will wrap the green flag around him in the coming Cheltenham festival and roar on our rugby team next Saturday. Michael O Leary, to his credit, shows his Irishness with his money. He could also move away and wave his flag from afar. At this time money talks!

hiding behind a poster

Have to say I think this story is a miscalculation by the Sindo - obviously the point of it is their usual obsequiousness towards Fianna Fail, as in "notable person says Cowen is the man for the job" - only this time its one of the super-rich, and a tax exile to boot. Now there's a fairly major hatred out there towards those who fit into either of those categories right now, so in many people's minds this story will become "Cowen the hero of the super-rich".

Hardly the intention, I would have thought.

juanpablo

Simple isn't it? if you're Irish put your money where your mouth is. I'm playing the role of 'begrudger' here, in the 'good times' criticism of cheats like McManus would have you labelled as such. Idiots would queue up to say what a great guy he is and sure didn't he build a new pitch for his gah club?

F*ck Mcmanus and his horses.

Big Bobo

Have to say I think this story is a miscalculation by the Sindo - obviously the point of it is their usual obsequiousness towards Fianna Fail, as in "notable person says Cowen is the man for the job" - only this time its one of the super-rich, and a tax exile to boot. Now there's a fairly major hatred out there towards those who fit into either of those categories right now, so in many people's minds this story will become "Cowen the hero of the super-rich".

The indo are really struggling to do populism in times of recession.

Pastradamus

Tax Exiles, whatever their nationality are complete cheats and should never be respected or accepted by society. There's a hatred towards these people but it is a warranted hatred. When people go on about the amount he contributed to society they fail to ask the question " what about the amount he didnt contribute through tax's?". In this recission we hear workers going at workers with the usual crap like "those public sector bastards are takin' all me money" and fail to concentrate their energies on crapbags like Mcmanus and Bono who contribute sweet feck all to society.

there was a time when publication of names of those who entered tax settlements with Revenue resulted in boycotts of businesses. those days have gone. it's quite the opposite these days, it seems, and we have to ask ourselves whether double standards operate when our discussions continually target 'tax exiles' but we don't appear too concerned about Irish based earners who defraud the revenue - it's estimated that 30% file incorrect tax returns

surely both deserve our wrath?

Pastradamus

there was a time when publication of names of those who entered tax settlements with Revenue resulted in boycotts of businesses. those days have gone. it's quite the opposite these days, it seems, and we have to ask ourselves whether double standards operate when our discussions continually target 'tax exiles' but we don't appear too concerned about Irish based earners who defraud the revenue - it's estimated that 30% file incorrect tax returns

surely both deserve our wrath?
Absolutely! NO quater should be given to anyone who steals from the pockets of our citizens.

MsAnneThrope

*bump*

Many people in the country would have disagreed with McManus' comment on Cowen in early 2009, but there are some, I'm sure, would have fully agreed with him, and still do...

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
The man lost the right to have any say in this country when ghe became a tax exile. One of the first things in the budget/four year plan is to have an American style tax system where millionaire citizens can't avoid paying tax.

GreenIsGood

Was McManus or any other tax exile an owner of subordinated bank debt in September 2008?

ellie08

+1

justme1

The Sunday independent knew exactly what they were doing with this,the paper is a tabloid (just in broadsheet form),they knew the minute that people would read it there would be war as he is a tax exile etc.. etc..
It's just really to get people talking about 'Did you hear what JP said in the Sindo on Sunday',this sums up really what the Sindo thinks of the intelligence of their readers,and also for me the intelligence of their writers (with the exception of Gene Kerrigan)

goosebump

Libero

goosebump said:
If they were, they're pretty fukked now aren't they?
Doesn't that depend on whether they held on to the sub debt, or sold it earlier for a relatively high price?

goosebump said:
You might want to learn the difference between sub debt and senior debt before you go weighing in to debates with preposterous conspiracy theories.
There was nothing in the poster's contribution to suggest he/she didn't understand the difference.
In fact, the "preposterous conspiracy theory", as you see it, rests on the idea that it's strange and bizarre for the state to guarantee sub debt holders, since they shouldn't be as secure as senior bondholders. As such, the theory depends on an understanding of the difference.

corporal punishment

Tax Exiles, whatever their nationality are complete cheats and should never be respected or accepted by society. There's a hatred towards these people but it is a warranted hatred. When people go on about the amount he contributed to society they fail to ask the question " what about the amount he didnt contribute through tax's?". In this recission we hear workers going at workers with the usual crap like "those public sector bastards are takin' all me money" and fail to concentrate their energies on crapbags like Mcmanus and Bono who contribute sweet feck all to society.
To be fair to Bono, he does pay tax in this country, just not all of it. He also presents a good worldwide image of Ireland when we could do with it. I'm not a fan of Bono or U2, we had a falling out over musical differances around 1985, i'm just saying as I see it.
I do agree however that mcmanus is a shleeveen who should be stripped of his citizenship unless he coughs up his share.

Ingersoll

I have always roped this tax-cheat in with the likes-of Healy-Rae, Bertie, Biffo and his Ilk - they all perfectly illustrate all that is corrupt with this country and it's people. Living in Limerick i have to listen to people fawn over the twat all the time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies