• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Judge decribes a defendant as " A pure Tinker"

potholedogger

A 23 year old woman who was before Judge Seamus Hughes at a sitting of Athlone District Court on a Charge of Assault arising from an incident where the woman was accused of smashing a glass into another woman's face.

Judge Hughes who is a former Fianna Fáil T.D. addressed the woman with the following remarks: " “What are you like on a night out? You must be a pure tinker. That’s the only word I can think of, and I’m not casting aspersions on any other section of society when I say that.”

The woman pleaded guilty to assault and received a two month suspended sentence after handing over €700.

A two month suspended sentence seems like a very light sentence for such an offence, considering the same Judge had sentenced a man to climb Croagh Patrick and do four stations of the cross along with some prayers.

Judge Hughes has a history of making controversial remarks. He made the following remarks during a case before him: "We usually know our neighbours and generally we know who 'has form' and who doesn't. Mr Stokes' neighbours would know that he has considerable form.

"Nobody has indicated it to me, but I suspect he comes from a certain ethnic background that would give him even more form given the type of behaviour in which some of them engage.

"As I've described it before, they are like Neanderthal men living in the long grass, abiding by the laws of the jungle."

Judge calls woman on assault charge

BBC News - Judge tells man to climb holy mountain Croagh Patrick

Traveller group calls on Athlone judge to resign - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Examiner

Sangreel

What did he do wrong? She broke the law... "Tinkers" are known to flaunt the law..... so?

A 23 year old woman who was before Judge Seamus Hughes at a sitting of Athlone District Court on a Charge of Assault arising from an incident where the woman was accused of smashing a glass into another woman's face.

Judge Hughes who is a former Fianna Fáil T.D. addressed the woman with the following remarks: " “What are you like on a night out? You must be a pure tinker. That’s the only word I can think of, and I’m not casting aspersions on any other section of society when I say that.”

The woman pleaded guilty to assault and received a two month suspended sentence after handing over €700.

A two month suspended sentence seems like a very light sentence for such an offence, considering the same Judge had sentenced a man to climb Croagh Patrick and do four stations of the cross along with some prayers.

Judge Hughes has a history of making controversial remarks. He made the following remarks during a case before him: "We usually know our neighbours and generally we know who 'has form' and who doesn't. Mr Stokes' neighbours would know that he has considerable form.

"Nobody has indicated it to me, but I suspect he comes from a certain ethnic background that would give him even more form given the type of behaviour in which some of them engage.

"As I've described it before, they are like Neanderthal men living in the long grass, abiding by the laws of the jungle."

Judge calls woman on assault charge

BBC News - Judge tells man to climb holy mountain Croagh Patrick

Traveller group calls on Athlone judge to resign - News - Roundup - Articles - Westmeath Examiner

Dame_Enda

Is the woman a Traveller? If so then what is the problem? Travellers themselves used to wear the name proudly. Did the PC-brigade wake up one day and decide it was "offensive" like they are trying to do with the term "non-national". :roll:

gatsbygirl20

"Pure" as in "chaste" ?

Or maybe he meant a "pure thinker"--- seeing some deep and considered significance in the woman's violent action...

If it's not either of those, we are left with the remaining possibility that the judge is some kind of a nutjob reactionary throwback who has a slate off...

And that can't be true, can it?

Alan Alda

After how many years of education exactly ?
What class of people are running this country?
The mind boggles at their incompetence ,stupidity and unfitness for purpose.

Alan Alda

Is the woman a Traveller? If so then what is the problem? Travellers themselves used to wear the name proudly. Did the PC-brigade wake up one day and decide it was "offensive" like they are trying to do with the term "non-national". :roll:

Nah , some nerds somewhere in history had a weird notion that justice should be blind !
Can you believe that nonsense ?
Its political correctness gone mad I tells ya:rolleyes:

potholedogger

Nah , some nerds somewhere in history had a weird notion that justice should be blind !
Can you believe that nonsense ?
Its political correctness gone mad I tells ya:rolleyes:
What happens if Judges believe some groups in society are much more likely to commit crime than others?

Alan Alda

What happens if Judges believe some groups in society are much more likely to commit crime than others?
I dunno. Whats the policy on prejudiced jurors ?
Is there one ? If so , why not have a policy or 'law' to deal with prejudiced judges also ?
Seems like common sense to me.

Deep Blue

Sounds as though he was quite restrained, in the circumstances.

He was calling a spade a bespoke soilmoving instrument.

Anyone who glasses a woman in the face is a gurrier of the lowest order.

Ramon Mercadar

After how many years of education exactly ?
What class of people are running this country?
The mind boggles at their incompetence ,stupidity and unfitness for purpose.
I pity anyone who has to go before a judge who is a former FF TD. Not fit to judge anyone.

Alan Alda

Anyone who glasses a woman in the face is a gurrier of the lowest order.
Quite.So to equate that scum behaviour with a particular cultural/social group is wrong, right ?:confused:

Jack White

More PC nonsense. God you bleeding heart clowns are so predictable.

''Tinker'' was once a common epithet, and was so for as long as I remember. The only reason you don't hear it so much any more is that so much worse language is accepted as normal, where it never was.

What the hell right do travellers have to be offended by this ? What the hell right do they have to call themselves tinkers anyway ?

The absolute nerve.

I mean, most of them couldn't fix a pot or a pan for you now if you paid them. Could they ?

I'm not saying the judge is not a twat, by the way. Sorry to all the gowls for calling him that, I know you'll be offended that I put him in the same bracket as yourselves. And the pussies.

stopdoingstuff

That's funny because many people look at tinkers and say," There is a pure defendant."

Alan Alda

should we stop using the term "hooligan" for fear of offending the Hoolihan family??
Hooliganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No. What we should do is expect better quality judges.
This guy is just an idiot.Obviously.
Uneducated,ignorant and parochial.
That might be ok with some folks but I think , with their wages an all, we deserve better.
Its not a question of 'political correctness'.
Its more than that.

Jack White

should we stop using the term "hooligan" for fear of offending the Hoolihan family??
Hooliganism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Or stop calling people gowls, for fear of offending the inhabitants of a small village on the borders of Limerick and Tipp ?

Boring, boring, cynical PC drivel. Very often from peope who would have a calf in their living room, if they peeped out the curtains and saw an innocent member of the Freeborn Clan coming into their yard looking for their mischievous little doggie.

Truth.ie

That might be ok with some folks but I think , with their wages an all, we deserve better.
Its more than that.
Don't worry.
When you're his age, you'll be using terms that are acceptable today, but no doubt will be offensive to the next generation.

gatsbygirl20

Its more than that.

Totally agree.

Terribly unprofessional and biased language from a supposedly impartial pillar of the community who is well paid to mind his language and embody the scrupulous fairness and impartiality we have a right as citizens to expect from the law.

We do not pay judges or put them in positions of such grave responsibility so that they can vent their general annoyance or rant about the first thing that comes into their heads in casual slangy chit-chat pub-speak.

It debases the profession, lowers standards and makes the law a laughing stock.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies