Judge directs not guilty verdict on Lowry tax charge

bagel

It seems like a mockery to post this in what's referred to as a 'justice' forum.

Source: Court News Ireland https://courtsnewsireland.ie/

"A judge has directed that Independent TD Michael Lowry be found not guilty on a charge of delivering an incorrect income tax return for 2002.
Eight charges in relation to Mr Lowry’s company Garuda Ltd, filing corporation tax for 2002 and 2006 remain before the jury at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court".

statsman

It seems like a mockery to post this in what's referred to as a 'justice' forum.

"A judge has directed that Independent TD Michael Lowry be found not guilty on a charge of delivering an incorrect income tax return for 2002.
Eight charges in relation to Mr Lowry’s company Garuda Ltd, filing corporation tax for 2002 and 2006 remain before the jury at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court".
It seems the charge has been withdrawn, so I assume the prosecution knew it wasn't going to stick?

MsDaisyC

I'm sure they'll catch up at the 19th hole for a single malt. :mad:

Researchwill

He had to direct that one of the nine charges results in not guilty as the prosecution withdrew the first charge.

statsman

Meanwhile Drumm gets 6 years.

gerhard dengler

It's the dropping of one charge, by agreement with the State's counsel.

There are other charges to be tried.

Sync

No no no , forget your “facts”, this is a travesty!

enuffisenuff

don't panic folks!

MsDaisyC

Im surprised I expected 4. But in my opinion a fair sentence.
Not when his time in Boston is deducted. If he sees the inside of a jail cell for longer than a week, I'll be shocked. That sentence sounds like the absolute max he could be given to effectively get away with it.

Levellers

Nolan has form for dropping charges against white collar criminals without going to the jury.

corporal punishment

..but that would have been a lousy thread title.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Once.Just once I'd like to see a headline saying 'Jury directs judge to smarten himself up a bit.'

It would be a reassurance in terms of democracy and justice.

Researchwill

Not when his time in Boston is deducted. If he sees the inside of a jail cell for longer than a week, I'll be shocked. That sentence sounds like the absolute max he could be given to effectively get away with it.
That was 5 months off so 5 years 7 months left max 50% remission so he will serve 2 1/2. He is in jail tonight as bail in circuit criminal courts is very rape pending appeal and his appeal will take 18 months.

New Threads

Most Replies