• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Judge oversteps mark - Jails Mother for "Neglect"

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Mother jailed for not sending her three daughters to school - National News - Independent.ie

A MOTHER of three has been jailed for not sending her children to school.
The woman, who was described as "too liberal", kept her three girls at home for colds and flu without any doctors' notes, a court heard.
The children missed 28 days from last September – more than a third of the school term. Apart from the illnesses, the Dublin mother, who is in her 30s, alleged that one of the children was being bullied.
But a judge sentenced her to 28 days after being told there was no medical evidence of their illnesses or a bullying complaint.
In what world is it ok to take a mother away from her children, criminalise her and jail her for not complying with state education? I never thought I would have a use for the word neo-stalinist but here it is. The state owns you it would appear. Would the CCREF not mean now childrens views should be taken into consideration? What do these kids think that some monstrous judge has locked up their Hypochondriac mammy?

mickterry

Mother jailed for not sending her three daughters to school - National News - Independent.ie

In what world is it ok to take a mother away from her children, criminalise her and jail her for not complying with state education? I never thought I would have a use for the word neo-stalinist but here it is. The state owns you it would appear. Would the CCREF not mean now childrens views should be taken into consideration? What do these kids think that some monstrous judge has locked up their Hypochondriac mammy?
Contempt prior to investigation. ( Herbert Spenser)

ShoutingIsLeadership

I am aware of a boy in the 'care' of the HSE who has not been to school for nearly 3 years. Young teen. Prison fodder. The HSE can't be touched, though.

Ulster-Lad

Would you not consider the actions of the mother child abuse? I would. She is depriving the children of an education that they will need in order to survive in the world long after she is gone from their lives.

mickterry

I am aware of a boy in the 'care' of the HSE who has not been to school for nearly 3 years. Young teen. Prison fodder. The HSE can't be touched, though.
A lot of that about. I can't imagine those young people that are locked up in Ballydowd are geting to school each day.

Picasso Republic

When one considers what the future holds for children with no education...........

You have conveniently omitted from the report the fact that this was not the first warning and their home was described as 'chaotic'.

Child Welfare covers many topics - not only food, physical and metal abuse etc - the fact that the mother is a 'moron' does not mean she is entitled to deprive her children of a reasonable future.

firefly123

She was already convicted previously for failing to send her kids to school and then choose to ignore the court and thus received a prision term. There is more to this than meets the eye ( as always).

sic transit

Not sure it's child abuse but she's certainly doing them no favours at all. I would have thought the HSE needed to intervene to address her issues.

Amnesiac

You are treating the children as if they are an extension of the mother. They are not. These are independent beings and she has a responsibility to satisfy their basic needs - food, shelter, education. She acts as their guardian, e.g. to make medical decisions they are not mature enough to make. She is obliged to care for them and provide them with a start in life. They are not her pets with which she can do as she pleases.

Last edited:

sadmal

It's complete hypocrisy for the state on the one hand to imprison a mother who keeps her children off school and at the same time refuses to make schools available for children with special needs. The majority of parents of children with special needs have to fight tooth and nail to get their children into any type of education.

Every September we hear of children unable to get into any local schools because they are oversubscribed and they are left at home. The department has no interest in them unless the parents make a fuss and go public with their complaint.

Seanie Lemass

These girls do not have special needs. Just a mother who is depriving them of a chance to educate themselves. I doubt she was teaching them herself. I see the consequences of this every day where I live in feral unemployables who of course take their disappointment with the world out on their neighbours. Not much sympathy here I am afraid.

Red_93

The state has a constitutional obligation to ensure that children are provided with an education, and to ensure that a certain minimum standard is taught. Don't like it, change the constitution.

Sibelius

I don't see how prison will help here. It sounds as if the mother needs parenting classes and maybe counseling to help her deal better with day to day life.

sadmal

These girls do not have special needs. Just a mother who is depriving them of a chance to educate themselves. I doubt she was teaching them herself. I see the consequences of this every day where I live in feral unemployables who of course take their disappointment with the world out on their neighbours. Not much sympathy here I am afraid.
I know that. My point was here is the state sending a mother to jail for not sending her children to school yet the same state refuses to educate children with special needs!

I'm not defending the mother, just pointing out how selective the state's concern is for children.

statsman

In a world where the mother in question has completely ignored the fact that she's on a suspended sentence.

Next.

statsman

I know that. My point was here is the state sending a mother to jail for not sending her children to school yet the same state refuses to educate children with special needs!

I'm not defending the mother, just pointing out how selective the state's concern is for children.
You were, in short, indulging in whataboutery.

Ryan Tubbs

In what world is it ok to take a mother away from her children, criminalise her and jail her for not complying with state education?
Sorry, but it is the legal responsibility of all parents to send their children to school, or to arrange appropriate alternative.

Nothing Stalinist about that. If this neglectful crone had no access to a primary school place, she'd probably be the very first to threaten court actions against the State, etc.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
Would you not consider the actions of the mother child abuse? I would. She is depriving the children of an education that they will need in order to survive in the world long after she is gone from their lives.
Resistance to the states role in compulsory mass medication and state indoctrination could be painted as “child abuse”, this is abuse all right, abuse of language to serve the political goal of placing parental autonomy into the hands of the state.
To be honest I’m not too sure if to use a Caelism the "uneducation mind murder machine" is even worth sending children to judging from the state of education of the great unwashed. Most, come out of school as mindless automatons hating their own language and culture. A Chara.

In any case this is a ridiculous overstepping of authority. This Judge should be removed.

realistic1

How will jailing her help?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies