Julian Assange Arrested

Interista

It appears that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested in London:

WikiLeaks US embassy cables: live updates | News | guardian.co.uk

Those who wanted him 'taken care of' will no doubt be rubbing their hands in glee. But wikileaks is bigger than one person, and it will be interesting if the Swedes are able to make the spurious charges of 'sexual assault' stick. A bigger danger is that they could hand Assange over to the Yanks, at which point all bets are off.

Aindriu

He surrendered himself with his lawyer in attendance actually.

borntorum

How does the OP know that the 'sexual charges' (nice use of apostrophes) are spurious?

Ulster-Lad

Oh joy, another tin foil hat thread.

Interista

He surrendered himself with his lawyer in attendance actually.
That may be so, but doesn't change the fact that, according to the Met,
Assange was indeed arrested:
Officers from the Metropolitan Police Extradition Unit have this morning arrested Julian Assange on behalf of the Swedish authorities on suspicion of rape.

Julian Assange, 39, was arrested on a European Arrest Warrant by appointment at a London police station at 9.30am.

He is accused by the Swedish authorities of one count of unlawful coercion, two counts of sexual molestation and one count of rape, all alleged to have been committed in August 2010.

Assange is due to appear at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court today.

owedtojoy

Some of the leaks seem to me to be counter-productive.

But consider the energy and haste devoted to this arrest, contrasted to the continued freedom of people who planned and ordered extraordinary rendition & torture of "terrorist" suspects.

One of the biggest disappointments of the Obama administration is that it has not pursued these men in the courts - like Gonzalez & Cheney. Basically, they have not een got the General Pinochet treatment.

I have an open mind on the rape charge. It sounds suspiciously trumped up. Let's see the evidence.

sgtharper

It appears that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has been arrested in London:

WikiLeaks US embassy cables: live updates | News | guardian.co.uk

Those who wanted him 'taken care of' will no doubt be rubbing their hands in glee. But wikileaks is bigger than one person, and it will be interesting if the Swedes are able to make the spurious charges of 'sexual assault' stick. A bigger danger is that they could hand Assange over to the Yanks, at which point all bets are off.
What makes you so sure the charges are "spurious"? Are you absolutely certain that that Swedish police, Justice Ministry, and state) are corrupt and at the very least are colluding in a blatant miscarriage of justice in the full glare of international publicity? If you are, why?

Run_to_da_hills

That guy is only a puppet.

The real agenda is an international agreement on internet censorship.

Interista

How does the OP know that the 'sexual charges' (nice use of apostrophes) are spurious?
Actually, I shouldn't have used the term 'charges' since Assange has not been charged with anything.

As for the use of apostrophes, they are entirely appropriate. I thought everyone was by now aware that the 'sexual assault' Assange is alleged to have committed involved nothing more than having (what even the accusers fully agree to have been consensual) sex without a condom. Nowhere on earth other than Sweden (and arguably not even there) would that be considered a crime. The victims also tweeted and PMed each other about their 'conquest' and threw a party for their 'assailant' after the alleged 'assault'.

So I'm hardly the only one to think the whole thing stinks.

Dohville

The charges would not be illegal in most countries.
I understand the charges are that he didn't wear a condom on one occasion of consentual sex, and on another occasion, with a different woman, the condom split.

Interista

What makes you so sure the charges are "spurious"? Are you absolutely certain that that Swedish police, Justice Ministry, and state) are corrupt and at the very least are colluding in a blatant miscarriage of justice in the full glare of international publicity? If you are, why?
Am I absolutely certain? No.

Do I strongly suspect it? Yes.

Quite frankly, given the nature of the allegations and the timing of the arrest, you'd have to be extremely naive not to.

The Field Marshal

The Wikileaks website has not been directly available[it is accessible thru some mirror sites] for some days now so the concerted efforts of frightened governments has been partially successful.
A classic lesson by Assange in how to piss off the big boys.

On the other hand Wikileaks is not above legitimate criticisms of behaving irresponsibly and endangering lives needlessly.

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
That guy is only a puppet.

The real agenda is an international agreement on internet censorship.
Yes. The Pope chairs the committee, and Bono is their international messenger, carrying secret messages from head of state to head of state, while masquerading as a rock star.

muffin

I understand the charges are that he didn't wear a condom on one occasion of consentual sex, and on another occasion, with a different woman, the condom split.
?????? Wearing the condom or not is not illegal. It is the right between individuals involved. That is news to me if they are if not wearing a condom is illegal. How do people create babies then? That is strange comment.

Am not sure on the court case but I do find it strange why he couldnt have dealt with it in Sweden at that time rather than running away to London. That is my suspicion. Like everything else, he did hand himself in but must be found guilty by trial like any other man or women who rapes. He is famous and the claim could be bogus. You never know.

Interista

This article is written by one of Assange's lawyers and has to be considered with that in mind. However, it is essential reading for those who think the allegations against Assange are completly normal and above board, and that only 'tin foil hat' types would be in any way suspicious of the accusers' motives.

Julian Assange's rape case: is Sweden just making it up? Julian Assange's former lawyer writes for Crikey | Crikey

The women here are near to and over 30 and have international experience, some of it working in Swedish government embassies. There is no suggestion of drugs nor identity concealment. Far from it. Both women boasted of their celebrity connection to Assange after the events that they would now see him destroyed for.

That further evidence hasn’t been confected to make the charges less absurd does Sweden no credit because it has no choice in the matter. The phenomena of social networking through the internet and mobile phones constrains Swedish authorities from augmenting the evidence against Assange because it would look even less credible in the face of tweets by Anna Ardin and SMS texts by Sofia Wilén boasting of their respective conquests after the “crimes”.

In the case of Ardin it is clear that she has thrown a party in Assange’s honour at her flat after the “crime” and tweeted to her followers that she is with the “the world’s coolest smartest people, it’s amazing!”. Go on the internet and see for yourself. That Ardin has sought unsuccessfully to delete these exculpatory tweets from the public record should be a matter of grave concern. That she has published on the internet a guide on how to get revenge on cheating boyfriends ever graver. The exact content of Wilén’s mobile phone texts is not yet known but their bragging and exculpatory character has been confirmed by Swedish prosecutors. Niether Wilén’s nor Ardin’s texts complain of rape.

But then neither Arden nor Wilén complained to the police but rather “sought advice”, a technique in Sweden enabling citizens to avoid just punishment for making false complaints. They sought advice together, having collaborated and irrevocably tainted each other’s evidence beforehand. Their SMS texts to each other show a plan to contact the Swedish newspaper Expressen beforehand in order to maximise the damage to Assange. They belong to the same political group and attended a public lecture given by Assange and organised by them. You can see Wilén on the YouTube video of the event even now.

borntorum

A country (A) can only surrend somebody to another (B) under a EAW if there is a corresponding offence in (A) for the offence alleged in (B). So if the only charges are as you say, and there is no suggestion of lack of consent, then he shouldn't be surrendered.

My guess is that there's more to it than you suggest

Interista

A country (A) can only surrend somebody to another (B) under a EAW if there is a corresponding offence in (A) for the offence alleged in (B). So if the only charges are as you say, and there is no suggestion of lack of consent, then he shouldn't be surrendered.

My guess is that there's more to it than you suggest
Obviously there's more to it!

However, having sex without a condom can be interpreted as 'sexual assault' in Sweden. However, as pointed out above, neither of the women involved suggests that any form of violence or coercion was involved, so it's hard to see how this can be interepreted as 'rape' in any normal sense of the word.

borntorum

Obviously there's more to it!

However, having sex without a condom can be interpreted as 'sexual assault' in Sweden. However, as pointed out above, neither of the women involved suggests that any form of violence or coercion was involved, so it's hard to see how this can be interepreted as 'rape' in any normal sense of the word.
My point is that England can only allow Assange to be extradited if the court there accepts that there is a similar corresponding offence in English law to the one that the Swedes are looking to charge him with. If it's simply a matter of a lack of a condom I'd be very surprised if they surrendered him

Interista

My point is that England can only allow Assange to be extradited if the court there accepts that there is a similar corresponding offence in English law to the one that the Swedes are looking to charge him with. If it's simply a matter of a lack of a condom I'd be very surprised if they surrendered him
Assange was arrested on allegations of 'rape, sexual molestation and unlawful coercion'.

All of these are also offences in England, but may be interpreted differently. I don't think a country has to have identical definitions of every offence for inter-EU extradition to take place. If this were the case, it's hard to see how anyone would ever be extradicted because no two justice systems are identical.

Perhaps Assange's accusers do have further evidence against him. However, given their behaviour after the 'crime' - boasting of their 'conquest' and throwing parties for him - it would need to be pretty good evidence.

New Threads

Most Replies