Juncker, Chair of Eurogroup, takes aim at Germany over common good

He3

This is heating up. Juncker is a Luxembourg politician who punches above his weight and is the ultimate EU insider. He is the man who once said We know what needs to be done, we just don't know how to get elected afterwards. He is losing patience with Germany.

Germany may be losing sight of the European common good, putting at risk the EU's credibility with member states and citizens, Eurogroup chairman Jean-Claude Juncker said today. [...]

"I am however concerned that in Germany, the federal (government) and local authorities are slowly losing sight of the European common good," he said in an interview with Germany's Rheinischer Merkur.

Making speedy decisions in the European Council may be more efficient than passing through every stage of the EU decision-making process but would mean the EU could lose credibility with member states and their citizens.

"One day not all member states, and therefore not the majority of the citizens, will feel at home in the European Union because it will become an abstract European construction for them,"

Germany 'losing sight of EU common good' - The Irish Times - Thu, Nov 25, 2010

Sham96

As someone who travels to Germany and Holland on a regular basis (and who used to live in both countries at different times) Juncker is absolutely right. The Germany public want out. The Germany media want Germany out. And it is only going to build. We all better get used to it. The Germans are going to look after themselves first and foremost. They are creating their own new rule book.

Goodbody

Germany is the biggest exporter in the world. The EU is Germany's biggest export market. Who will buy German goods if the EU goes bust?

German nationalism almost destroyed Europe in the 1930's. Looks like they're going to have another crack at it.

mistercrabs

I'm sure people will still buy German goods. And I'm sure there'd still be a free trade area even if the euro collapsed.

Sham96

I'm sure people will still buy German goods. And I'm sure there'd still be a free trade area even if the euro collapsed.
Exactly. They make great products and they will continue to find European buyers. I'm not suggesting by any stretch this is Germany 1934-. But they have crossed the bridge of no return. The 30% anti has become the 70%anti and all very quickly. Most Germans standard of living is pretty ordinary in the context of Europe. And a hell of a lot of them read the German tabloids with stories of Clowens wages, Greek tax dodging, Portugese etc etc. German Murdoch's are playing a big role now.

Last edited:
G

Gimpanzee

Sure they will. But with a double whammy of a strong Mark and badly damaged neighbouring economies in what volume will they buy the likes of luxury goods and heavy machinery? Maybe they think they can rely on shipping stuff east, but I doubt it.

hibernian56

We are all merely pawns in a much bigger game;

We must not accept the IMF "Bailout"
We must not allow FF to pass "Their" budget
We must have new leadership

G

Gimpanzee

Exactly. They make great products and they will continue to find European buyers. I'm not suggesting by any stretch this is Germany 1934-. But they have crossed the bridge of no return. The 30% anti has bcome the 70%anti and all very quickly. Most Germans standard of living is pretty ordinary in the context of Europe. And a hell of a lot of them read the German tabloids with stories of Clowens wages, Greek tax dodging, Portugese etc etc. German Murdoch's are playing a big role now.
We lost sight of things in a similar way a few years ago. Our tabloids told our lot that they were richer than Germany, and we had finally taken our place as an independent state, finally in a position to turn our back on the rest of the EU. Course, a couple of months later we'ed changed our tune, and the Germans will too when they realise the days of them paddling their own canoe are long gone.

Sham96

We lost sight of things in a similar way a few years ago. Our tabloids told our lot that they were richer than Germany, and we had finally taken our place as an independent state, finally in a position to turn our back on the rest of the EU. Course, a couple of months later we'ed changed our tune, and the Germans will too when they realise the days of them paddling their own canoe are long gone.
Good points. I'm hoping thats how it plays out but with this current lot who knows.

Jakey

You have to laugh at these Euro pygmies lecturing the great powers on their behaviour. First Reding and the French, then Rompuy and British Euroscepticism, and now Juncker and the Germans. I do hope Merkel puts him back in his box.

Fergalino

Germany is the biggest exporter in the world. The EU is Germany's biggest export market. Who will buy German goods if the EU goes bust?

German nationalism almost destroyed Europe in the 1930's. Looks like they're going to have another crack at it.
So, Germany is bad if it wants more EU and Germany is bad if it wants less EU. Make up your minds.

Or is it that reading too many Daily Mails have impregnated with you with a fine dose of Little Englanderism, and you simply think Germany is bad full stop.

Squire Allworthy

Good points. I'm hoping thats how it plays out but with this current lot who knows.

Indeed, politics and politicians never cease to disappoint. Look at the mess in the UK. Sustained rantings by a few newspapers and spineless politicians cease to lead.

The EU and EuroZone are very much in the interests of Germany. German production needs the volume. Germany's position in the world will be very much dependant on it taking a leading role in Europe.

Goodbody

So, Germany is bad if it wants more EU and Germany is bad if it wants less EU. Make up your minds.

Or is it that reading too many Daily Mails have impregnated with you with a fine dose of Little Englanderism, and you simply think Germany is bad full stop.
I was simply making an economic point. If Germany's biggest trading partners go bust, they are likely to buy less of German - and any other - goods.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies