• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Juncker the drunk

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Juncker may or may not have the right ideals, but covering up a drunk as a senior European figure is neither proper nor feasible

“Five Presidents” EU’s Jean-Claude Juncker Drunk in Public, Slaps Leaders | Heat Street
The most powerful among these is Luxembourgish politician Jean-Claude Juncker, the EU Commission head who has threatened Britain.
Last night, sensational video emerged showing Juncker obviously drunk in public, hopping from foot to foot and slapping other EU leaders. A second member of the “Five Presidents”, Donald Tusk, stands next to him looking uneasy.
That the EU can hide a nasty drunk at its core...says a lot about the EU

Cyp

NYCKY

He was clearly three sheets to the wind for this gathering but that does mean he is a drunk?

GabhaDubh

He was clearly three sheets to the wind for this gathering but that does mean he is a drunk?
Not a fan, but the video is from May 28 2015

mr_anderson

There's a difference between being drunk and being a drunk.
Which is he ?

Boy M5

The FT has an article every saturday "Lunch with the FT"

An FT hack takes a public figure to lunch, the FT pays.

The often wide ranging discussions are made into a feature article.
There are some classics Michael O'Leary ranting over a plastic Ryanair sandwich is one of the funniest.

Lionel Barber the editor of the FT interviewed John Brutal when he was in Washington - the lunch was in a steakhouse.

The next interview Barber undertook was of writer Martin Amis. When ordering the wine Barber said the last Lunch with FT he'd done was with an Irish politician in DC 'Which turned into an epic drinking session"

GDPR

What is this thing EU leaders have with slapping each other like Sonny Corleone from the Godfather?

Accidental sock

Due to my presence in this glass house, I am currenly prohibited from throwing stones..

GDPR

cYp, I dont know that it has been covered up - it was reported fairly extensively in the UK press - I seem to remember a Daily Mail headline which went "You Dont Have To Be a Drunk To Work Here - But It Helps", about Juncker swigging cognac for breakfast and effing and blinding at other Euro leaders.

Possibly that was seen as just anti-EU propaganda. There have been similar reports in European newspapers.

Maybe its just the Irish media which ignored it. After the likes of Cowan, they may not actually think its any big deal anyway.

Sister Mercedes

I've warmed a bit to Juncker since his appointment. I don't think he's as lock-step to Angela's orders like some of the other EU apparatchiks like Tusk and Dijsselbloem. He also seems to be the only senior EU official who doesn't want the UK to leave, despite his differences with Cameron.

The drinking doesn't bother me. If it helps lubricate the negotiations, I'd let it slide. It's not like he has his fingers on nuclear codes.

keyholekate

Why was Juncker hopping from foot to f00t? Is he incontinent? And yet he is one of the masters of the European continent! As a dipsomaniac, this man may have bladder problems as he piddles on every recalcitrant EU state.

Fractional Reserve

Boy M5

@FR - thanks for putting me off of my breakfast.

GDPR

"A nasty drunk"? he looked a bit foolish but far from nasty.
Depends on your standards, I suppose.. Hes been described in the German and British press as calling in officials while blind drunk and ranting at them "I f*uck where I please " meaning "I do what I like", (just thought I'd make that clear).

Of course after Fianna Fail, this probably seems quite normal to Irish readers.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
It's the coverup that's the problem

Juncker may or may not have the right ideals, but covering up a drunk as a senior European figure is neither proper nor feasible
Some people function very well when drunk

Problem is the coverup comes with large risk

Cyp

It's the coverup that's the problem

Some people function very well when drunk

Problem is the coverup comes with large risk

Cyp
I don't see à cover -up. You have to béarnaise in mind that in general on the Continent people enjoy greater expectations of privacy.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies