• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

June Live Register

kerrynorth

The seasonally adjusted June live register rose 11400 to 413500.The standardised unemployment rate rises to 11.9%.
http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/labour_market/current/lreg.pdf

PS There may be a significant error in the seasonally adjusted figures for June/July that will not be picked up until September. This is because the seasonally adjusted method of analysis will only categorise teachers and other education workers signing on in these months as only seasonally unemployed outside the school year although and we do know a significant number will not actually be taken back on in September in both the public and private sector.

Last edited:

seabhac siulach

In the Leader's questions of today there was reference to a statement of Tom Parlon of the CIF that another 100,000 construction workers may be added to the live register this year due to changes in the capital program. Does anyone have any more on this? This would raise unemployment to close to 550,000-600,000 by the end of the year, if true.

kerrynorth

In the Leader's questions of today there was reference to a statement of Tom Parlon of the CIF that another 100,000 construction workers may be added to the live register this year due to changes in the capital program. Does anyone have any more on this? This would raise unemployment to close to 550,000-600,000 by the end of the year, if true.
There is certainly another 100k building jobs to go. But by the end of 2010 rather 2009. For example an estimated 55k are yet to go in civil engineering as the roads programme grinds to a halt over the next 18months and the only new project approved to start in 2009 is the Castleisland by-pass, which is a relatively small job.

libertarian-right

So thats a 2.8% rise from last month? Even a 1.5% rise each month until December will see unemployment at 20% for Year End. F&!K!

bluefish

Dont forget all the school leavers who cant get into college, or Uni.

There`s another few thousands to join the que.

And Im sure a few more Bogus Asylum seekers will enter Ireland to join the gravy Train!

mccafferty cat

For example an estimated 55k are yet to go in civil engineering as the roads programme grinds to a halt over the next 18months and the only new project approved to start in 2009 is the Castleisland by-pass, which is a relatively small job.
I think the Newlands Cross upgrade has been given the green light as well. But again, this is small beans really

HarshBuzz

Unemployment rate is slowing down, the bottom is near....
in any other year, it would be a record increase

your post is the equivalent of a doctor saying "the patient is losing blood less rapidly, the end is near"

White Rose

Even some of those of us with jobs have very little to do, thats why I'm contributing to this site at this time of the day

the situation is much worse than they are letting on- people are emigrating, returning home, staying on in college, stayin at home to mind the kids and so on which is keepin the figures at some sort of acceptable level. It's a disaster zone and God knows when it will turn- 2 years I'd say

jpc

And what about the self employed that are not appearing on the stats?

onthefence

I would take anything Tom Parlin says with a large pinch of salt. He made his comments in the course of an interview on Morning Ireland this morning. ( It was at about 7.20am if you want to check the MI site)

Seos

Seos

Anyway, my usual graphs.

bluefish

Does the live register count all the extras?

I.e If a man claims dole, does the live register include his partner in the figures?

Because if not, you could nearly double the figure!

alonso

Does the live register count all the extras?

I.e If a man claims dole, does the live register include his partner in the figures?

Because if not, you could nearly double the figure!
The Live Register is not designed to measure unemployment.​
It includes
part-time workers (those who work up to three days a week), seasonal and casual
workers entitled to Jobseekers Benefit or Allowance. Unemployment is measured
by the Quarterly National Household Survey and the latest seasonally adjusted
figure, for January to March 2009, is 223,400 persons unemployed.

kerrynorth

Seos

I would take anything Tom Parlin says with a large pinch of salt. He made his comments in the course of an interview on Morning Ireland this morning. ( It was at about 7.20am if you want to check the MI site)
I just checked it. In fairness he says, if the capital program is dropped entirely and that at the moment only 0.5bn is planned so far for next year (and he counts that as dropped entirely) that they'll lose 100,000 extra jobs. Which is quite reasonable. He also didn't mention it being within the year.

jpc said:
And what about the self employed that are not appearing on the stats?
They appear in the QNHS, which measures unemployment.

kerrynorth said:
Yeah. I have been saying for sometime that it will fall from a high of circa 280k to under 80k. A loss of 200k jobs in just one sector. And we will lose circa 400k jobs over 2008-10 as total employment falls from 2.15million to under 1.75million.
How many of those jobs are salvageable if the government actually got it's act together to spend the 6.6bn that they've promised and started projects with that?

hammer

Blast from the past.

June 2009 live register up 11,400 and not even two pages of posts.