Junior ministers allowed to hire special advisers at €65k a pop - stroke politics ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Canney in fairness looks like he has hired a policy person

Halligan has hired a "help Halligan get re-elected" spin doctor

Independent Ministers win approval for special advisers
Minister of State at the Office of Public Works Seán Canney and Minister of State for Training, Skills and Innovation John Halligan

Mr Halligan has hired Michelle Clancy for the position. Ms Clancy worked as a journalist for the Munster Express newspaper.

Mr Halligan strongly defended the appointment to The Irish Times yesterday. “As Independent Alliance TDs we have nothing, no backroom staff, researchers or advisers to assist us,” he said.
Halligan's above assertion is a complete mistruth - they have the same personal staff as other Ministers for State - and they get pro rated party leader's allowance

Stroke pulling ... and you can be sure as well as us having to pay for the advisers - that Wallly Kenny got something of ours out of the junior ministers in return

cyp

Kommunist

Is it you?

Prester Jim

Halligan seems typically self-serving as a politician, that he adds an extra layer of self-righteous makes him a bit more repulsive than normal.

Last edited:

Florence

€65,000 pa - say pay as that lovely p/t gig Senator.

Do these special advisors get tax free turning up money like TDs and senators?

Last edited:

Sister Mercedes

Halligan will top the poll in the next election. He's what the Irish look for in a politician ... someone who says the right thing and does the wrong thing.

hammer

No idea. Its scandalous.

Might be to do with the formation of future Governments.

It needs to STOP immediately.

stanley

Bertie left 8 years ago. Your shower have been running the show for the past 6 years. Why haven't they changed it?

They were left an unprecedented pile of shlte though and the coffers were not just empty but full of IOU notes and FF left timebombs such as the Water fiasco.

making waves

And I am sure Enda called it 'new politics' - not 'stroke politics'

hammer

They were left an unprecedented pile of shlte though and the coffers were not just empty but full of IOU notes and FF left timebombs such as the Water fiasco.
We all knew there were time bombs left behind but FF laughing about them was a step too far.

Who were they going to hurt only ordinary decent people.

Watcher2

Canney in fairness looks like he has hired a policy person

Halligan has hired a "help Halligan get re-elected" spin doctor

Independent Ministers win approval for special advisers

Halligan's above assertion is a complete mistruth - they have the same personal staff as other Ministers for State - and they get pro rated party leader's allowance

Stroke pulling ... and you can be sure as well as us having to pay for the advisers - that Wallly Kenny got something of ours out of the junior ministers in return

cyp
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Independent Alliance is not a party, so those that make up that informal grouping all get a party leaders allowance in their own right, no?

Florence

he isn't the only minister whose special adviser is a PR/media person. There needs to be a rule that states that special advisers must have qualifications and experience relevant to the Minister's brief. but that won't happen as the advisers are normally to promote the minister and ensure re election.

Ministers should use their Department press office to promote their wonderful work...

im axeled

he isn't the only minister whose special adviser is a PR/media person. There needs to be a rule that states that special advisers must have qualifications and experience relevant to the Minister's brief. but that won't happen as the advisers are normally to promote the minister and ensure re election.

Ministers should use their Department press office to promote their wonderful work...
did not pinnochio hire a person to ensure his relection for the last time, is the same guy still there, paid by the public purse of course

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
can anyone find what article in the Irish Times in Brendan Howlin talking about re Michael Harty and special advisers

Dáil Éireann - 29/Nov/2016 National Risk Assessment (Continued)

In today'sedition of The Irish Times it is stated that Deputy Harty has access to a special adviser appointed through a member of the Government.

http://www.irishtimes.com/search/search-7.1213540?q="michael harty" ????

this seems to be what he is talking about

Independent ministers are hiring a 'political coordinator' to liaise with their government partners http://www.thejournal.ie/independent-ministers-are-hiring-a-political-coordinator-to-liaise-with-their-government-partners-2979473-Sep2016/

job ad http://www.ireland.newjobvacancies.org/management-administration-jobs/political-coordinator-dublin-independent-ministers/

He/she will:
provide strategic support and advice to Ministers Naughten and Zappone and Deputy Harty on Government and Dáil business;
https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-12-07a.120
Brendan Howlin (Wexford, Labour)
76. To ask the Taoiseach if he has made his Government advisors and programme managers available to Opposition Members of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann. [38664/16]

Photo of Enda KennyEnda Kenny (Taoiseach, Department of An Taoiseach; Mayo, Fine Gael)

I have three Special Advisers, one of whom is my Chief of Staff, who assist me, as appropriate, by providing advice; monitoring, facilitating and securing the achievement of Government objectives; and performing such other functions as may be directed by me. The Public Service Management Act 1997 provides for the appointment of Special Advisors to Government Ministers. I understand that resources for the employment of support staff for opposition parties is provided by the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission.

While not Special Advisers, I have also appointed a Chief Strategist for the Independent Alliance, who acts as a liaison between the Independent Alliance and their partners in Government and a Political Coordinator for Independent Ministers Naughten and Zappone who, acts as a liaison between those Independent Ministers and their partners in Government and ensures effective communications between those Independent Ministers and all members of the Oireachtas on policy and political issues.
Kenny doesn't mention Harty

Donal Geoghan who was programme manager for the Greens in govenment got the job https://www.linkedin.com/in/donallgeoghegan
I serve as political manager and advisor for Independent Ministers Naughten and Zappone, and liaise with Michael Harty TD.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies