Just how bad is the justice system in Ireland?

Disillusioned democrat

The basic services people expect governments to provide universally are:

• healthcare
  • welfare
  • housing
  • education and
  • JUSTICE

Over the past 24 months we've seen the justice system apparently crumble in Ireland to an extent that many people now mistrust both the law makers and enforcers.

There are so many open tribunals and investigations that I, personally, have lost track, so I'm opening this thread to try to gather as many of the scandals, investigations and, hopefully resolutions and conclusions so there's a bit if a "ready reckoner" available to people come the next election to help judge what politicians have been most successful at addressing this problem.

My starter for 10 is the fact that after 18 months we still don't know why the Gardai faked 2m breath-tests, "who" was responsible, what "actions" are being taken to make them "accountable" and stop it from occurring in the future.

Socratus O' Pericles

Seems pretty dysfunctional under the microscope policing, sentencing, leagal costs, prisons ( especially for young offenders), yet when compared internationally doesn’t do too badly.

hollandia

Seems pretty dysfunctional under the microscope policing, sentencing, leagal costs, prisons ( especially for young offenders), yet when compared internationally doesn’t do too badly.
A bit like the homeless crisis then.

raspberry tea

Don't get me started on the fact that some of these criminals have 60+ convictions yet are in and out of the legal swinging door system - I suppose its more gravy money for the lawyers...

Socratus O' Pericles

Don't get me started on the fact that some of these criminals have 60+ convictions yet are in and out of the legal swinging door system - I suppose its more gravy money for the lawyers...
Taxpayers don’t want to pay for prisons.

mr. jings

Legal costs effectively prevent many citizens from access to the law. That's a pretty terminal diagnosis for a liberal-democratic republic supposedly under the rule of law.

Socratus O' Pericles

Legal costs effectively prevent many citizens from access to the law. That's a pretty terminal diagnosis for a liberal-democratic republic supposedly under the rule of law.
Absolutely Justice is for the wealthy when it comes to any kind of litigation. It’s always been like this though. There’s great reading in the history of the Clerical Medical Insurance Company.
It reveals how vested interests converged to ensure those in more “elevated” positions had access to protection and funds to take cases against one another. That was in 1824.

enuffisenuff

The justice system works just fine for the establishment....its the common joe soap that gets f*cked over...

Dutch Gold and Sky

Unfortunately there is a 'Who Knows Who' or i'll scratch your back... culture in Ireland among most sectors of Irish society and not just in Public Institutes, it happens almost everywhere on this island.

It would require a cultural change and then maybe we will see changes on whom we vote for and that questionable (bent) practices in our institutes will no longer be tolerated, sadly this won't happen for a very long time.

Socratus O' Pericles

razorblade

When criminals are getting minimum sentences for very serious crimes then something clearly is wrong.

Socratus O' Pericles

When criminals are getting minimum sentences for very serious crimes then something clearly is wrong.
I can tell you are mad as hell and you aren’t going to take it anymore.

raspberry tea

..and.....
And ........That's my point, there is more services in prison you can get access to than the wider world, how is that justice? You get a wage in prison and get to save your money,so much for punishment and a deterrent, some people even commit crime to get some kip in jail.
Prison should mean punishment and more importantly time for serious reflection of what crimes they committed and the lasting effects they had, I bet they don't get time to do that now....

Socratus O' Pericles

And ........That's my point, there is more services in prison you can get access to than the wider world, how is that justice? You get a wage in prison and get to save your money,so much for punishment and a deterrent, some people even commit crime to get some kip in jail.
Prison should mean punishment and more importantly time for serious reflection of what crimes they committed and the lasting effects they had, I bet they don't get time to do that now....
They tried harsh incarceration regimes the world over, had virtually no effect on crime levels.

Socratus O' Pericles

I think a huge part of the problem is consecutive sentencing. It really is like a do one get one free scheme. The career criminals know that they can commit a crime, get bail and commit a number of other crimes while out on bail and essentially get away with it. That's the system that has been created. They should be sentenced for each crime and should have to serve every day of those sentences. It's a way of life for many of them and it's absurd that we have people who have double digit criminal records walking around at liberty.

I’d say you mean concurrent. See above for actual position.

New Threads

Most Replies