Just how biased is Newstalk

Newstalk's Lunchtime show with Eamon Keane to-day broke a story which related to FG's proposals for Stamp duty reform. The ease with which he treated this item was remarkable. He read out some of the more critical texts and then rebutted them better than Richard Bruton could have. Compare this with Yesterdays show which was spent on the €900,000, which would be spent by the govt. ministers and how this was been "wasted". This was clearly a non-issue in the greater scheme of things.This is part of a consistant anti-FF/PD bias on behalf of this station. This is espcially evident on the Eamon Keane show but also on the breakfast show and the "Your call" show.

Is the ownership of the station a cause of this? Newstalk is owned by Denis O' Brian, who has strong links to Fine Gael. Is Newstalk becoming the Irish Fox news.

tumeltyni

In fairness, that's one particular presenter who does that with every issue (and drives me mad every time). I think the earlier programmes dealt with the issue in a far more balanced way.

White Horse

I haven't noticed a general bias. Individual items may apear skewed. However, that may be due to the broadcasters view of the particular matter. The Fine Gael proposal is very sensible and stands out after the neglect shown by the government in the last 10 years. It is difficult to criticise the proposal as a result.

As for the hundreds of thousands being squandered by ministers on their Paddy's Day hols, it is virtually impossible to defend.

When you see a minister spending six grand on chaufered limos while his assistant has to get a bus, you are on a loser.

rover

Kierkegaards avenger said:
Newstalk is owned by Denis O' Brian, who has strong links to Fine Gael
:? :?

what strong links does denis o brien have with fine gael ???

A_man_about_a_dog

White Horse said:
As for the hundreds of thousands being squandered by ministers on their Paddy's Day hols, it is virtually impossible to defend.
Do think that if FG/Lab/Greens get into government they will not travel for St Patricks day? :roll:

Unless there was some sort of an undertaking already given and I missed it, I seriously doubt that they will be staying put.

Twin Towers

Newstalk is fecking excellent, strip away the wannabe celebrity pc bull and newstalk is 21st century ireland. RTE is grand for cattle.

Catalpa

I mostly just listen to the 'Right Hook' on the way home from work and find George's comments entertaining.

Compared to listening to RTEs dull, bland and ever so PC brand of news broadcasting he is a breath of fresh air! :D

Catalpa said:
I mostly just listen to the 'Right Hook' on the way home from work and find George's comments entertaining.

Compared to listening to RTEs dull, bland and ever so PC brand of news broadcasting he is a breath of fresh air! :D
I agree, nothing worth listening to on Newstalk except The Right Hook. The breakfast programme is truly terrible, Ger Gilroy needs to get over himself and stop thinking he knows everything.

White Horse

dubsthcentralboy said:
I agree, nothing worth listening to on Newstalk except The Right Hook. The breakfast programme is truly terrible, Ger Gilroy needs to get over himself and stop thinking he knows everything.
You're right, the breakfast programme is unlistenable. However, the programme that follows is worse.

Chick radio at it's worst.

CookieMonster

White Horse said:
dubsthcentralboy said:
You're right, the breakfast programme is unlistenable. However, the programme that follows is worse.

Now, I won't have a bad word said against Orla Barry. mmmm.... orla.

tumeltyni

I like Newstalk, listen to it a lot, but what's with the 3 hours of sport in the evening, just when I'm free to listen to it? And what makes it even worse is on Friday's George starts using his time to talk sport too. I want news, not sport! I think it's time for another radio, SportsTalk, so that we normal people can avoid it. What do you think?

FakeViking

YES! There is far too much 'sport' masquerading as news these days. I myself have had a policy for 10+ years that at the first mention of certain keywords, an immediate TV or Radio channel change was called for. When I started, these keywods were Man Utd, Lady Di and Boyzone. It's expanded since then!

CookieMonster

FakeViking said:
YES! There is far too much 'sport' masquerading as news these days. I myself have had a policy for 10+ years that at the first mention of certain keywords, an immediate TV or Radio channel change was called for. When I started, these keywods were Man Utd, Lady Di and Boyzone. It's expanded since then!
Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Binx

CookieMonster said:
White Horse said:
dubsthcentralboy said:

I have a bad word to say about Orla Barry. She Sucks. But shes still better than everything else on the radio when i'm in the car in the morning.

Moving on, I feel that the morning shows, especially brenda and orla are biased slightly to the left, or at least anti-government. They always seem to find the most extreme cases where the health service or judiciary have failed the caller. Then they gasp in amazement at how the government couldn't know that this injustice had happened. Wake up people! Injustices happen no matter how hard you try to make sure they don't. Those two presenters always have a "world is coming to an end" tone about them. Especially brenda. But then half four comes around and Hook reminds us that the world isn't such a bad place after all. :lol:

politicaldonations

CookieMonster said:
White Horse said:
dubsthcentralboy said:

She's an unattractive headwrecker.

As for O'Brien's and FG , I am only aware of his "friendship" with ex FG minister Lowry who shamefully was relelected despite his dodgy activities. You rarely hear much about Newstalks owner/paymaster despite him being quite newsworthy in Irish business and tribunals. Heard from an original director of Ryanair that O'Brien was'nt very popular with executives from Boeing when he was Ryans PA, in fact they would only deal with Ryanair if O'Brien left the negotiations! What great fortune O'Brien had in getting the first independent mobile licence from the governement of the time, I'll say no more.

culbair

Newstalk provides a balanced news service. Politicians from all parties face intensive questioning. It will pose a huge challenge to RTE 1 in the future.

The Analyser

tumeltyni said:
I like Newstalk, listen to it a lot, but what's with the 3 hours of sport in the evening, just when I'm free to listen to it? And what makes it even worse is on Friday's George starts using his time to talk sport too. I want news, not sport! I think it's time for another radio, SportsTalk, so that we normal people can avoid it. What do you think?
I agree. We have far too much sport on the main channels. It bores the daylights off me. When Driveline tried to cram a two hour programme into one and a half hours, so that they could give the 6.30 slot to dull Des and his sports whining, the show lost me as a listener. (Come back Five Seven Live. Far far better!). And the fact that The Last Word was all Cheltenham talk meant that I tuned out all week.

We desparately need a sports channel so that we can banish all the sport heads into a broadcasting isolation ward. 8)

Catalpa

The Analyser said:
tumeltyni said:
I agree. We have far too much sport on the main channels. It bores the daylights off me. When Driveline tried to cram a two hour programme into one and a half hours, so that they could give the 6.30 slot to dull Des and his sports whining, the show lost me as a listener. (Come back Five Seven Live. Far far better!). And the fact that The Last Word was all Cheltenham talk meant that I tuned out all week.

We desparately need a sports channel so that we can banish all the sport heads into a broadcasting isolation ward. 8)
Second the motion - a most boring subject - esp Soccer! :x

New Threads

Most Replies