Just how biased is Newstalk

Binx

The Analyser said:
tumeltyni said:
I like Newstalk, listen to it a lot, but what's with the 3 hours of sport in the evening, just when I'm free to listen to it? And what makes it even worse is on Friday's George starts using his time to talk sport too. I want news, not sport! I think it's time for another radio, SportsTalk, so that we normal people can avoid it. What do you think?
I agree. We have far too much sport on the main channels. It bores the daylights off me. When Driveline tried to cram a two hour programme into one and a half hours, so that they could give the 6.30 slot to dull Des and his sports whining, the show lost me as a listener. (Come back Five Seven Live. Far far better!). And the fact that The Last Word was all Cheltenham talk meant that I tuned out all week.

We desparately need a sports channel so that we can banish all the sport heads into a broadcasting isolation ward. 8)
Absolutely. You cannot turn on newstalk at the weekend without some sports sh**e wreckin' the buzz.

first time voter

I must agree i think that the lunchtime show with Eamonn Keane is totally biased and he does not act in a balanced manner it is clear anyway that he is anti government as i have noticed this on many occasions. In my opinion the only show that is worth a listen to is the right Hook its a good show esp on a friday with the sports coverage!

DerekOwens

Catalpa said:
I mostly just listen to the 'Right Hook' on the way home from work and find George's comments entertaining.

Compared to listening to RTEs dull, bland and ever so PC brand of news broadcasting he is a breath of fresh air! :D
I trust you mean hot air Catalpa. in which case i am fully in agreement.

Sidewinder

A_man_about_a_dog said:
Do think that if FG/Lab/Greens get into government they will not travel for St Patricks day?
Alright. You heard it here first folks. The very first campaign pledge for the 2010 election:

Vote for Uncle Sidey's Democratic Republican Party (heh, there's a name to confuse the Yanks :lol:) and when we sweep to power every single one of my Ministers, and your Dear Leader yours truly, will be spending Paddy's Day in Ireland where we belong. I will not, repeat not be spending Paddy's Day in Washington taking bowls of weeds from mad Texans. I'll be in Letterkenny getting p1shed with me mates, like I've been doing every year for the last decade and more. And that's a promise you can trust.

paypal

culbair:
"Newstalk provides a balanced news service"

It most certainly does not. On one of the most pressing issues facing the country, namely the vast and unprecedented demographic changes that are occurring before our eyes, NewsTalk has never in my period of listening to it offered a balanced treatment of the topic.
All I've heard is talking heads gravely agreeing on the need for a "national debate" on the subject, but making it quite clear that only those who cheer-lead for mass immigration should be allowed participate in that debate. Some debate, where only people who agree with each other are invited to express an opinion!

Joe Ryan

Newstalk is welcome addition to radio in the country. The quality of treatment of issues by a presenter is significantly better than Radio 1. In many cases their programming is unique particualrly off peak.

The OD

Newstalk is fairly listenable all right, much better than snore-TE for sure. Ger Gilroy can be a bit OTT but I like the way he calls people on there BS. Hookie is a laugh and is also a true gent and Orla Barry isnt too bad if you like that sort of thing. I think Sean Moncrief is hit and miss but I always remember a show where he was doing whiskey tasting and got a wee bit pished - very funny indeed.

Overall I like it although it hasnt got too strong competition - its probably overly liberal in places but seeing as most people are becoming more liberal in their views its probably reflecting this from a marketing point of view?

harvey

paypal wrote
[It most certainly does not. On one of the most pressing issues facing the country, namely the vast and unprecedented demographic changes that are occurring before our eyes, NewsTalk has never in my period of listening to it offered a balanced treatment of the topic.
All I've heard is talking heads gravely agreeing on the need for a "national debate" on the subject, but making it quite clear that only those who cheer-lead for mass immigration should be allowed participate in that debate. Some debate, where only people who agree with each other are invited to express an opinion!]

Well, that may be true, but is RTE any better in this regard? I'd say it might even be worse. Plus RTE Radio puts on several boring mushy "multicultural" programmes.

GJG

Website
blog.hereshow.ie
Kierkegaards avenger said:
Is the ownership of the station a cause of this? Newstalk is owned by Denis O' Brian, who has strong links to Fine Gael. Is Newstalk becoming the Irish Fox news.
O'Brien has been a major FF donor since 1997.

hiker

Dont know if the station has a policy of supporting the opposition :?
I would doubt that.
The standard of presenting leaves a lot to be desired.
Juvenile is the word that most adequatly describes the majority of the presenters but then again at 43 I'm probably an aul lad. :)

Hook is great to listen to. Has respect and he gives respect. His manners are impeccable and because of this I find he gets more out of his interviewees. They respect that he not trying to crucify them. They in turn talk a litttle more than they should and we in turn learn a little more than we would.

I also like Orla Barry. Womans magazine programmes can be a real eye opener for us males :shock:

They used to do a slot that was dedicated to walking around various hidden sites in Dublin. That was good.

Whig

It's not the worst thing if a station or a program has a political bias. Maybe we're a little too used to the notion of a national braodcaster which can't be seen to be biased, though many in RTÉ can be seen to be at times too. Not that I'm defending Newstalk, I don't hear enough of it to be able to judge. But I like the bias, if ever so slight, that Sam Smyth has on the Sunday Supplement on Today FM.

zoinks

Ger Gilroy, His co-host, and that Eamon Keane guy do my head in, they are so biligerent, aggressive, moanfull, spitefull etc etc to everyone!!

The same with Matt cooper

It gives me an ulcer just listening to them, i dont know what it does to them?

Dunno if i'm at a weird age but i prefer Pat kennys/Sam Smyth radio style. I get the same news from them, but its all a bit less hyperbowl.

KATHY

Re: Just how biased is Newstalk Sounds like paranoia to me.

Kierkegaards avenger said:
Newstalk's Lunchtime show with Eamon Keane to-day broke a story which related to FG's proposals for Stamp duty reform. The ease with which he treated this item was remarkable. He read out some of the more critical texts and then rebutted them better than Richard Bruton could have. Compare this with Yesterdays show which was spent on the €900,000, which would be spent by the govt. ministers and how this was been "wasted". This was clearly a non-issue in the greater scheme of things.This is part of a consistant anti-FF/PD bias on behalf of this station. This is espcially evident on the Eamon Keane show but also on the breakfast show and the "Your call" show.

Is the ownership of the station a cause of this? Newstalk is owned by Denis O' Brian, who has strong links to Fine Gael. Is Newstalk becoming the Irish Fox news.
Sounds like paranoia to me. As a a perspective first time buyer I found the story very interesting. I enjoy Newstalk, it deals with real facts, whether the current Government like or not which is not something we could ever accuse RTE of.

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
Off the Ball is a savage radio show, by far the best thing on Irish radio. However, like most other radio stations, little else is worth the hassle of tuning into. In the morning, or if I'm heading home before seven, I end up fiddling between all the stations - but the tedium of the current affairs coverage, and the predictability of it all means I normally settle on Phantom.

The worst thing the station did was go national - it has totally wrecked the focus of the station's output.

jayblue

newstalk can be bit bias at times, soemtimes u think ur listen to the Palenstine National Radio, can be boring at times, and then they have their favourite PD candidate on at all times, bias r they. Yes I think so

dent

That little Fianna Fail supporting toerag Jonathan Healy is at it again. Reilly correctly pointed to the fact of Mehole Martin being central to the clusterf*ck that is the HSE, consequently it is more than rich of him to be calling for anyone's resignation, and Healy opined that here was Reilly bringing that "old chestnut" up again .... WHA ??? And then he goes on to set easy spikes for FF Glennon. It's sickening he gets away with it.

redmonite

Don't you know its now frowned upon in polite and even impolite media circles to blame Fianna Fail for anything. The Clock was reset in 2011!!!!!!!!!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies