Just out of curiosity.

boldfenianman

When I am in London I quite often hear radio ads or see press ads which specifically state " not applicable to Northern Ireland". Why would this be? Because the thing is run from Dublin on an all Ireland basis? I don't know. Any answers?

Strawberry

Give us an example? I don't get why something run from Dublin on an all Ireland basis would be not applicable to NI.

all the best

Car insurance would be one example,and the reason why some insurance firms don't do business in NI is that juries decide the level of compensation for injury as a result of traffic collisions in NI,in GB a judge decides.The juries are twice as generous on average as judges,but the juries are also less predictable with their awards meaning some insurance companies won't risk doing business in NI.

vinoboy

Give us an example? I don't get why something run from Dublin on an all Ireland basis would be not applicable to NI.
car insurance due to Divis Hoods stealing and joyriding - fecks up whole of NI as insurers cannot be arsed to work out rates of crime per county /city.

Strawberry

Car insurance would be one example,and the reason why some insurance firms don't do business in NI is that juries decide the level of compensation for injury as a result of traffic collisions in NI,in GB a judge decides.The juries are twice as generous on average as judges,but the juries are also less predictable with their awards meaning some insurance companies won't risk doing business in NI.
I see. Well, that answers the OP's question then.

Se0samh

car insurance due to Divis Hoods stealing and joyriding - fecks up whole of NI as insurers cannot be arsed to work out rates of crime per county /city.

Cobblers, I pay a little over half what I used to pay for fully comp, now that I no longer live in Belfast; now I know you are a spinner...:rolleyes:

vinoboy

Cobblers, I pay a little over half what I used to pay for fully comp, now that I no longer live in Belfast; now I know you are a spinner...:rolleyes:
Might be your age auld hand that is the factor in your insurance . :D

belfast1981

A lot of places quote shipping prices as the reason they won't deliver or make their products available to customers in NI as they say prices are higher to send. This is out of their own ignorance as NI is part of the UK and serviced by Royal mail and standard prices apply UK wide. (I've had this argument with many Ebay sellers over the years)

Some products such as batteries can't be sent to NI due to regulations involving batteries as there is a safety risk of them catching fire in the cargo hold of an aircraft. However the weird thing is, you can take them in your carry on luggage.

They can still be sent as long as the item is being carried via boat, however Royal mail does not do sea deliveries to NI I don't believe, the only other option is a courier which is more expensive.

I've actually had to get certain items delivered to a hotel I am staying at when in England or gotten them delivered to a friends companies English plant for him to pick up for me when he was going over and bring home.

For the likes of insurance it might be due to having no on sight claim assessors in NI and it would cost them to either A) Open a branch here B) send people over to NI every time to assess the claim.

The government admitted it had concerns about how insurance companies exclude NI back in 2011 and premiums were 84% higher over here for those who do provide cover. But like everything, nothing came of it.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/serious-concerns-over-northern-ireland-car-insurance-costs-28679098.html

For some products extra licences are needed to buy and use certain things that do not apply in England such as fireworks. The seller needs to check the person has a licence. Since licences don't apply in England but do here, they can't sell them to us.

These are just a few examples/excuses I have heard over the years.

blokesbloke

The law is slightly different in NI... I think that the Assembly passed a law which outlaws competitions which require purchase of a product to enter for example.

Mickeymac

The law is slightly different in NI... I think that the Assembly passed a law which outlaws competitions which require purchase of a product to enter for example.

Hi BB, hope you are good pal.............however.......with the absence of a working assembly in the six counties of NE Ireland.....surely UK rules apply?

Se0samh

hollandia

A lot of places quote shipping prices as the reason they won't deliver or make their products available to customers in NI as they say prices are higher to send. This is out of their own ignorance as NI is part of the UK and serviced by Royal mail and standard prices apply UK wide. (I've had this argument with many Ebay sellers over the years)

Some products such as batteries can't be sent to NI due to regulations involving batteries as there is a safety risk of them catching fire in the cargo hold of an aircraft. However the weird thing is, you can take them in your carry on luggage.

They can still be sent as long as the item is being carried via boat, however Royal mail does not do sea deliveries to NI I don't believe, the only other option is a courier which is more expensive.

I've actually had to get certain items delivered to a hotel I am staying at when in England or gotten them delivered to a friends companies English plant for him to pick up for me when he was going over and bring home.

For the likes of insurance it might be due to having no on sight claim assessors in NI and it would cost them to either A) Open a branch here B) send people over to NI every time to assess the claim.

The government admitted it had concerns about how insurance companies exclude NI back in 2011 and premiums were 84% higher over here for those who do provide cover. But like everything, nothing came of it.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/serious-concerns-over-northern-ireland-car-insurance-costs-28679098.html

For some products extra licences are needed to buy and use certain things that do not apply in England such as fireworks. The seller needs to check the person has a licence. Since licences don't apply in England but do here, they can't sell them to us.

These are just a few examples/excuses I have heard over the years.
Ref, as regards Ni, for some things the Royal mail classes the Scottish highlands as "overseas".

Glenshane4

Hi BB, hope you are good pal.............however.......with the absence of a working assembly in the six counties of NE Ireland.....surely UK rules apply?[/QUOTE]

"UK rules" Northern Ireland law is part of UK law. The absence of the working assembly does not mean that all British mainland law applies to Northern Ireland. e.g. The laws against abortion.

Mickeymac

Hi BB, hope you are good pal.............however.......with the absence of a working assembly in the six counties of NE Ireland.....surely UK rules apply?[/QUOTE]

"UK rules" Northern Ireland law is part of UK law. The absence of the working assembly does not mean that all British mainland law applies to Northern Ireland. e.g. The laws against abortion.

You clearly are naïve regarding the powers London has in the O6C, thankfully half of the population there do not recognise the legitimacy of such colonial BS.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Same thing happens in the US.

I suspect it's jealousy, envy and meanness.
On the subject of offers not being available in Alaska or Hawaii it probably means that the logistics affect the delivery price because of distance from the supply and delivery chain.

You can imagine some poor bugger in Nome, Alaska, in autumn working in a Pizza Hut with his little moped outside nervously answering the 'phone...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies