Just saw the first half of the Bowie night at the proms

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
No stagecraft, the arrangements little more than a series of the usual well-worn clichés of contemporary classical music. You know the sort of thing: what had previously been electrically sexy base lines in the original Bowie song rendered with blind solemnity through the medium of the xylophone.

Desultry singing by a series of big names, most of whom appeared to have realised, far too late, that they had got themselves tangled up in a musical disaster.

All introduced with lazy monotony by a Berlin-based contemporary musician who looked far too young to have so little sense of either raunch or humour.

It was truly like a bad school variety performance.

I turned it off halfway through thanking the heavens that I hadn't paid a babysitter 30 quid, spent three quarters on an hour on the tube and 8 to 35 pounds a ticket, not to mention dedicating a precious friday night out to the toe-curling spectacle.

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

John Cale was OK, Marc Almond's voice is not as badly shot as Ithought it would be. Average I suppose.

I hate the way Lets Dance has been turned into an anthem, even Nile Rodgers is doing it at Chic gigs now.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies