• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Just when I thought politicians couldn't stoop any lower

bagel

"A candidate runs for local elections. Knocking on some doors and making all the usual promises, like I will make a difference, I will be the best counselor ever. I am young, still in collage and I will still make time for my public duties. Lo and behold, SHE GETS ELECTED, first time out. THEN, after getting the job she announces; I'M GOING TO AMERICA FOR SIX MONTHS AND I'M GETTING MY BROTHER TO DO MY JOB!!!!!
Now, the story goes, that her brother wanted the job in the first place but didn't feel he would get it. This is democracy the Tipperary way. Any other stories like this around the Country? This is happening in the Cahir area of Tipperary by the way."

Source: FIGHT THE WATER TAX SCAM (LAWFULLY)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Seriously, this is unacceptable. I recall a case like this where a young lad managed to get a council seat (and bear in mind this is possible with remarkably few votes at local level) and promptly went off on a gap year.

I really don't think that voters should have to put up with this and I would really support a process whereby anyone standing for election must be available to carry out the role if elected, otherwise a re-run is required, eliminating the proposed absentee from the count.

Not on. I know things are tribal in Tipperary but I doubt many who voted for this lady would be very happy about her subsequent announcement.

For example, is she someone who attracted votes as a gender candidate under a system which is trying to find more female candidates, only for her to then essentially promote her brother into the job, and are we likely to see more of this at low level once the electorate locally have been hoodwinked into voting for a pseudo-candidate?

I think this local election should be re-run without the candidate who has clearly messed around local volunteers as well as the local electorate.

macedo

Scandalous if true but your link is to a closed facebook group that seems to be associated with the recent water charges mass hysteria so I'll water for more confirmation.

razorblade

If she doesn't want to do the job she was elected to do then why did she even bother to run in the first place its absolutely pathetic.

HenryHorace

The locals will rally around her. "Dublin media" etc... Depressing but true

Lagertha

If the story is correct then it is a disgrace. People voted for her not her brother and surely it would be against the rules for a candidate to give their seat to anyone else?

ProsandCons

Section 19 of the LG Act 2001 provides for casual vacancies. Where the person departing is from a registered political party, that party gets to nominate someone to replace the departing Cllr. The Councillor above is an independent, so the casual vacancy will be filled according to whatever procedure in in the Tipperary County Council Standing Orders.

It's probably means that unless other parties object, the Cllr causing the vacancy will get to nominate whomever they like...........

Probably happens more often than folks think, but only newsworthy every five years.......

Lagertha

Section 19 of the LG Act 2001 provides for casual vacancies. Where the person departing is from a registered political party, that party gets to nominate someone to replace the departing Cllr. The Councillor above is an independent, so the casual vacancy will be filled according to whatever procedure in in the Tipperary County Council Standing Orders.

It's probably means that unless other parties object, the Cllr causing the vacancy will get to nominate whomever they like...........

Probably happens more often than folks think, but only newsworthy every five years.......
But we are talking about a person who ran for office knowing that they weren't going to be available to do the job. It's absurd to say I'm off to America for 6 months cheery bye and my brother will keep my seat warm while I'm away. She should lose her seat and be replaced. The public didn't vote for her brother and it's probably a fairer situation just to give the job to the candidate who lost out to her.

LISTOWEL MAN

Daughter of Mattie McGrath, yeah why is anyone surprised at this? She should lose her seat but she won't. Daddy will make sure of that.
when asked to justify his supporting animal cruelty (coursing) on the Vincent Browne peoples debate Mattie said it was worth 5 million for the economy

Lagertha

when asked to justify his supporting animal cruelty (coursing) on the Vincent Browne peoples debate Mattie said it was worth 5 million for the economy
Mattie is your archetypal snout in the trough plodder. The same people vote for him time after time and they'll vote for his kids and then their kids and so the cycle never ends, unfortunately. She should be out on her ass.

Lagertha

Just listening to people on 6.01 news demanding gender quotas for Dail seats. As a woman I find that offensive. I'm listening to a couple of women who are newly elected bitching about how difficult it is to be a mammy and a political representative and some foreign woman talking about how she's already brought her children to some meetings.

Children have no place at meetings, either these women can make alternative child care arrangements or they shouldn't be doing the job. I don't care about the children of politicians, people are either available to do the job they were elected to do or they aren't. This is more of the nonsense of ''I can do just as well as a man'', followed when given the job by ''I need maternity leave'' or ''I have childcare problems''.

I don't want to see anyone given a job because of quotas. Democracy is about the people having a vote to determine who they want to elect, not about having a quota of vaginas, or Muslims, or minorities. This crap has gone too far. Although I do wonder at the gobdaws who voted for someone who was on Gogglebox.

Gin Soaked

Within 2 years of the election, unless a cllr is elected to the dail or Europe, the seat should go to the next highest placed unelected cllr. If they decline, then the departing cllr can nominate a substitute.

That would be probably most fair.

midlander12

Every time I hear that FF and FG are losing their grip on the country, I remind the poster in question that their votes are going instead to the likes of the dynastic 'gene pool' dregs mentioned on this thread. Ironically FF and FG themselves probably wouldn't tolerate this sort of nonsense nowadays.

Gin Soaked

Just listening to people on 6.01 news demanding gender quotas for Dail seats. As a woman I find that offensive. I'm listening to a couple of women who are newly elected bitching about how difficult it is to be a mammy and a political representative and some foreign woman talking about how she's already brought her children to some meetings.

Children have no place at meetings, either these women can make alternative child care arrangements or they shouldn't be doing the job. I don't care about the children of politicians, people are either available to do the job they were elected to do or they aren't. This is more of the nonsense of ''I can do just as well as a man'', followed when given the job by ''I need maternity leave'' or ''I have childcare problems''.

I don't want to see anyone given a job because of quotas. Democracy is about the people having a vote to determine who they want to elect, not about having a quota of vaginas, or Muslims, or minorities. This crap has gone too far. Although I do wonder at the gobdaws who voted for someone who was on Gogglebox.
Have to haul you up on a few points.

Children are not just the mum's responsibility. So this should affect any parent of young kids who wants to serve as a cllr.

And we should support this. Typically young families have the most invested in how their area develops. And tend to be the most squeezed financially.

We see what smug and time rich politicos did and do to the country.

And we need women at every level of working and political life. Maternity leave is essential for that to happen.

Lagertha

Have to haul you up on a few points.

Children are not just the mum's responsibility. So this should affect any parent of young kids who wants to serve as a cllr.

And we should support this. Typically young families have the most invested in how their area develops. And tend to be the most squeezed financially.

We see what smug and time rich politicos did and do to the country.

And we need women at every level of working and political life. Maternity leave is essential for that to happen.
We don't NEED women at every level anymore than we NEED men at every level. Job appointments should be based on merit not genitalia or minority status. As I said I don't care about the children of POLITICIANS be they male or female. I don't want breastfeeding in the Dail, I don't want kids at meetings, it's unprofessional and unacceptable. Traditionally men in positions of power have relied on their wives to do the brunt of the child rearing.

There's no reason why those roles can't be reversed. Women can't have it all anymore than men can. You have to make sacrifices to be successful. You have to miss birthdays and anniversaries and family events that you'd love to be at, but you can't because there are other commitments. Either people are prepared to make those sacrifices or they aren't. If the kids come first that's fine and lovely, but the parent needs to piss or get off the pot. They are committed to the job at hand or the job of parenting.

A political representative is elected by the people to represent the people. Either a parent has childcare arrangements to cover that or they need to find an alternative career path. If you think some breastfeeding mother or some woman or man bringing their kids into a meeting is going to somehow serve the country better then it's you who needs hauling up on a few points.

Degeneration X

Every time I hear that FF and FG are losing their grip on the country, I remind the poster in question that their votes are going instead to the likes of the dynastic 'gene pool' dregs mentioned on this thread. Ironically FF and FG themselves probably wouldn't tolerate this sort of nonsense nowadays.
The one thing about the co-options in political parties is that their at least has to be a selection at branch level.

Though such things have been tried from time to time.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies