Just when you thought Local Government could be no worse ....along comes Sligo

brughahaha

Sligo's county manager is retiring , leaving behind a council in debt to the tune of 80 million

http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=26822

And what is his reward for such a disastrous legacy of incompetence and shambolic finances

A tax free lump sum of 270,000 and a 68,000 pension (on a day burton is telling the self employed she needs another 1.5% of my salary!)

Oh and a standing ovation , no less , from all but 3 sitting Councillors

So , his legacy isn't bad enough , his retirement package isn't obscene enough but the gobsghiite councillors think its all worthy of a standing ovation

Just when I think local government in Ireland can sink no lower .....along comes something else to prove that if your looking for wasteful brain dead talentless incompetent overpaid gobshiites ....look no further than Irish local politics and councils

ManOfReason

I love a good rant.

brughahaha

I love a good rant.
And it is indeed a rant .... but such levels of incompetence and remuneration in a bankrupt country are at least justified for a rant

B

birthday

Sligo's county manager is retiring , leaving behind a council in debt to the tune of 80 million

Sligo Today News for Sligo County - County manager's retirement package revealed

And what is his reward for such a disastrous legacy of incompetence and shambolic finances

A tax free lump sum of 270,000 and a 68,000 pension (on a day burton is telling the self employed she needs another 1.5% of my salary!)

So , his legacy isn't bad enough , his retirement package isn't obscene enough but the gobsghiite councillors think its all worthy of a standing ovation

Just when I think local government in Ireland can sink no lower .....along comes something else to prove that if your looking for wasteful brain dead talentless incompetent overpaid gobshiites ....look no further than Irish local politics and councils

Whatever about anything else the day when people can enjoy tax-free lump sums must end.

How much did this guy pay into his pension over his entire working life? Would it be a fraction of the lump sum let alone the pension?

brughahaha

Whatever about anything else the day when people can enjoy tax-free lump sums must end.

How much did this guy pay into his pension over his entire working life? Would it be a fraction of the lump sum let alone the pension?

Don't worry ....Sligo council is awash with property tax revenue to pay this man his tax free lump sum of 260,000 (what would that be ? -1000 households paying property tax just to pay this man his lump sum)and pension (another 170 families a year paying this new tax just to fund this eejits pension)..... great to see it going to a useful purpose ...............

daveL

Sligo Today News for Sligo County - County manager's retirement package revealed

80m in debt?

What exactly would the GDP of Sligo as a county be?

Betson

It would make your blood boil.

They were talking a bit about it on RTE radio today, seemingly when he was asked about the huge debt level of the council he said he didn't see what all the fuss was about as no one had died.

No big deal for him anyway as he has his guaranteed big fat payoff and pension as a reward for total incompetence , just like Bertie , Cowen etc , why should they give two ************************s about the mess they leave behind , it is not as if it effects them in anyway.

devoutcapitalist

Nobody in the public sector should be getting any lump sum regardless of what they are earning. Nobody in the public sector should receive an pension greater than €50k per year.

Sligo County Council should be put into liquidation.

Cellach

Outgoing Sligo county manager will receive
Kearns made headlines last year when, question about the fact that he earns more than the Spanish Prime Minister, he said “I am surprised that the Spanish prime minister earns so little.”

Betson

With this kind of stuff still going on can you really blame people who avoid or evade paying their full tax.

I know if I could get away with it I would do all in my power to avoid having to help pay the payoffs and pensions of ******************************s like that.

And as for the usual guilt trip of tax for Schools , Police , hospitals etc , forget about it is is everyone for themselves in this country and anyone who thinks any different is a mug.

enuffisenuff

He learnt from the best....

james toney

Councillors that believed it was worthy of a standing ovation should really be given a shovel,and told to fill in the thousands of potholes in the county.

davoid

And it is indeed a rant .... but such levels of incompetence and remuneration in a bankrupt country are at least justified for a rant
But your rant is misplaced.

You should know by this stage that the Irish ps works on the basis that the public exists to serve the public servants, not the other way round.

Once you grasp that you have no basis for a rant. It's the norm.

off with their heads

could anyone even attempt to break down how Sligo C.C is 80 million:shock: in the hole

IbrahaimMohamad

80m in debt?

What exactly would the GDP of Sligo as a county be?
80 million of debt is nothing. I know of a County Council that spent €20 million on a single field to build social housing on! To date not a single house has been built on it and a farmer would expect to buy the field for €120,000

A Council just would not feel running up a debt of €80 million.

There are several stupid ways a Council can wate money!
1 choosing the wrong technology to heat it's swimming pools 1 million a year
Failing to have efficient pumps for water pumping 1 million a year
Allowing tenants to trash 10 % of its housing stock each year
Failing to collect development levies
Failing to collect all rents due
Failing to collect rates due
Screwing up the contractual administration of major contracts

Cutting hedges for farmers that should be cutting their own hedges

Niall996

That sounds like a fairly standard defined benefit pension, nothing major to report there. Probably not a million miles from what guards, teachers etc get. As for the 80million, do we know why this exists. They could have brilliantly invested in long term infrastructure, schools, centers of learning, IT start ups, beautiful parks and civic spaces that will bring joy and contentment to the people of Sligo for generations.

davoid

That sounds like a fairly standard defined benefit pension, nothing major to report there. Probably not a million miles from what guards, teachers etc get. As for the 80million, do we know why this exists. They could have brilliantly invested in long term infrastructure, schools, centers of learning, IT start ups, beautiful parks and civic spaces that will bring joy and contentment to the people of Sligo for generations.
You mean a fairly standard pension for the public service, don't you?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom