Justice and Croagh Patrick

Tomas Mor

District Justice Seamus Hughes has ordered a Donegal man to travel to Mayo and climb Croagh Patrick and do the four stations there. The defendant was up on a charge of insulting a garda in Donegal. As it happens Justice Hughes is from Westport and a former FF TD. How peculiar is this judgment, and how can the man prove he climbed the sacred mountain. This is a bizarre decision- suppose he was a non believer, or non catholic how could he pray and do the stations as ordered. This decision should be challenged and declared null and void. Some yeasrs ago after Pope's visit here, a judge in Meath ordered a garda to recite the Angelus in court when the bell from nearby church rang at mid day. The country gets funnier and funnier all the time. Maybe if the guy was ordered to do community work or contribute to the garda benevolent fund it would make sense.

<Mod> Adding source http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0917/1224279094345.html

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyBird

Very peculiar . Downright improper I would say . Its like a mild form of sharia law .

Btw is it really a crime to ' insult a gard' ?
I would have thought abuse came with the job and the nice salary ,pension , benefits etc .

former wesleyan

Very peculiar . Downright improper I would say . Its like a mild form of sharia law .

Btw is it really a crime to ' insult a gard' ?
I would have thought abuse came with the job and the nice salary ,pension , benefits etc .
Nurse ?

Tomas Mor

How did he know the victim, sorry, prisoner was a Catholic ?

I am sure he did not know, maybe the man is a non believer. Expect to see this daft decision scrapped, or Minister Ahern ( conjestion expert) should step in- it is blasphemy after all.

TonyBird

I am sure he did not know, maybe the man is a non believer. Expect to see this daft decision scrapped, or Minister Ahern ( conjestion expert) should step in- it is blasphemy after all.
Its also 'cruel and unusual' which is against international human rights legislation .

TonyBird

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYKRffcQTg4]YouTube - The Hill[/ame]

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Any source for the OP?

I think what you'll find is that he pleaded guilty to some criminal offence, is destitute, and this has been suggested by the defendent as a way to show contrition in order to avoid jail/conviction.

Absent a source: this thread will go to the Zoo.

EvotingMachine0197

District Justice Seamus Hughes has ordered a Donegal man to travel to Mayo and climb Croagh Patrick and do the four stations there. ....
Any chance of a supporting link to this judgement Tomas?

I don't believe it tbh. Although nothing surprises me anymore ..

TonyBird

Any source for the OP?

I think what you'll find is that he pleaded guilty to some criminal offence, is destitute, and this has been suggested by the defendent as a way to show contrition in order to avoid jail/conviction.

Dont be such a spoilsport ! :(

Perhaps we only have half the story ,however the debate is worthy imo .
What the hell is our 'judicial system' trying to achieve ? It seems entirely random not to mention right wing .

Why should that be ?

Tomas Mor

Any source for the OP?

I suppose if he is destitute he can travel to mayo for nothing! Why not send him to Lough Derg in Donegal instead, or to the zoo in Dublin. Your comments are off the wall.

Irish Times 17th.Sept. A DISTRICT judge has told a Donegal man who used foul language to a member of the Garda that he has a month to travel to Co Mayo and make the pilgrimage to the top of Croagh Patrick.

Tomas Mor

Expect to see this decision knocked at once, otherweise we dont live in a republic. If a Muslim appears before Hughes, will he send him to Mecca.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies