Justice & Equality Committee to discuss Traveller Ethnicity on Wed Oct 26

afns1

Oireachtas News ‏@OireachtasNews

Chair of Justice & Equality Committee Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin invites you to watch tomorrow's meeting on
Traveller Ethnicity
https://twitter.com/OireachtasNews/status/790962136394633216

---
I don't know much about this but as I think one is expected to comment in some way in the original post, I have to say I'm nervous about this. I am concerned it can give Travellers extra rights without responsibilities.
And that the politicians will feel all good about themselves for doing this and because of political correctness won't be willing to say anything negative on the topic.

PBP voter

Their own propaganda progamme on RTE proved their aren't an ethnic group. They are just the same as the rest of us native Irish.

NAPBAR

---
I don't know much about this but as I think one is expected to comment in some way in the original post, I have to say I'm nervous about this. I am concerned it can give Travellers extra rights without responsibilities.
And that the politicians will feel all good about themselves for doing this and because of political correctness won't be willing to say anything negative on the topic.
They already have extra rights without responsibilities. This will only be official recognition of what has already happened unofficially over the last 20 years.

ergo2

This cod ethnicity claim is just another device to scam more money from the taxpayer.

The trendy liberals in D4 may support it, but TDs all around the country will find the proposal to be unpopular with their constituents.

There has been too much traveller misconduct all around the country

darkhorse

If they are an ethnic group with their own language etc, should they not logically be looking to form their own country and be seeking independence? Perhaps somewhere around Rathkeale might work for them

TakeitAll

---
What a waste of time and money. If I chose to live in a caravan/mobile home with my family instead of repaying my negative equity mortgage (and the rest) each month we might actually have some disposal income if we like travellers were entitled to everything and responsible for nothing. Maybe it is only fools and horses work.

TakeitAll

---
What a waste of time and money. If I chose to live in a caravan/mobile home with my family on side of road instead of repaying my negative equity mortgage (and the rest) each month we might actually have some disposal income if we like travellers were entitled to everything and responsible for nothing. Maybe it is only fools and horses work.

farnaby

If they are an ethnic group with their own language etc, should they not logically be looking to form their own country and be seeking independence? Perhaps somewhere around Rathkeale might work for them
In all seriousness though I would go for an ethnically-separate Traveller population forming their own tax base. There are plenty of rich Travellers - let them officially transfer some of their wealth to the less well off in their community like the rest of us do and ultimately phase out settled people subsidising their culture.

Gin Soaked

This cod ethnicity claim is just another device to scam more money from the taxpayer.

The trendy liberals in D4 may support it, but TDs all around the country will find the proposal to be unpopular with their constituents.

There has been too much traveller misconduct all around the country
It is easily the most toxic thing to support. It unites all demographics and the only reason SF support it is to be difficult and to claim this proves their republican egalitarianism ? Or whatever. Negative votes...

Outside of a very small elite of poverty-industry executives, no one supports this.

But basically all suburbs and all rural communities despise having a site anywhere near them.

The perversion of the facts of Carrickmines is truely Orwellian. It was an utter tragedy, but basic prudence would have ensured there was no fire.

Same can be said about nearly every housefire or road fatality. People make sometimes devastating errors in judgement. Terribly sad, but it does not foist upon wider society a disproportionate remedy that abdicates personal responsibility.

We still have speed limits over 30kph in un-divided roads. Ethnicity and blank cheque housing for travellers will not solve inherent systemic dysfunction and resultant societal exclusion.

BACKTOBASICS

---
And Sinn Féin are all for traveller ethnicity, and with O'Caoláin Chair of the Justice and Equality Committee and an ex TD (now a Senator - promoted for losing his TD status after being rejected by the voters!), a settled traveller, SF look like they are in a position of influence on the matter.

McLaughlin and other SF members lost potential seats well within their grasp in the last election because of their focus on traveller 'ethnicity', and they still have learned nothing?

Following up on their 'support' (electoral strategy) for illegal undocumented Muslim migration in on top of Irish jobless and scarce housing areas, this is par for the course for the new SF devoid of all national ambitions, but now entering their shooting themselves in the foot mode, with their liberal PC mindset supporting an alien culture of Muslim invasion into our poorer neighbourhoods.

Last edited:

BACKTOBASICS

In all seriousness though I would go for an ethnically-separate Traveller population forming their own tax base. There are plenty of rich Travellers - let them officially transfer some of their wealth to the less well off in their community like the rest of us do and ultimately phase out settled people subsidising their culture.
And that is exactly what the Pavee Point quango and the SJ politicians should concentrate the scarce taxpayers money on, instead of wasting it on funding sound bites molly coddling the so-called 'travellers', who appear to be rolling in money.

What is needed are visits from the Revenue and Customs to bring their unregulated working and unaccounted wealth and vehicles under Revenue control and taxed just like the rest of us.

Would treating them incorrectly as an ethnic grouping give them some protection from this revenue probing and further 'help' them to stay 'just a little bit' outside the mainstream Irish society which would suit them perfectly.

BACKTOBASICS

And have their very own branch of Revenue dealing with their PPS numbers (could they possibly have more than one?) and income taxes.

Ethnicity should also have responsibility attached.

ruserious

Grand so. Next up...The Kinehans seek ethnic status.

BACKTOBASICS

The Irish Revenue should start to get interested in the transfer of wealth from the rich travellers to the poor ones, just like what happens in the general society.

BACKTOBASICS

And that is exactly what the Pavee Point quango and the SJ politicians should concentrate the scarce taxpayers money on, instead of wasting it on funding sound bites molly coddling the so-called 'travellers', who appear to be rolling in money.

What is needed are visits from the Revenue and Customs to bring their unregulated working and unaccounted wealth and vehicles under Revenue control and taxed just like the rest of us.

Would treating them incorrectly as an ethnic grouping give them some protection from this revenue probing and further 'help' them to stay 'just a little bit' outside the mainstream Irish society which would suit them perfectly.

Therightroad

Will the justice & equality committee have a session on elderly people living in fear in rural Ireland of been robbed or the tax payers who have returned to empty oil tanks when they come home from work ? ..... Or have a discussion on the huge % of travellers who have personal injury claims every year ???
Or what percentage of the traveller males have never done a days work in their lives ??

Sinn Fein are losing many voters over their glorification of travellers !!

General Urko

Whatever about regular Irish people, The Irish State in no way discriminates against them, in fact it positively favours them!
Also I would wager every Irish person has had directly or seen a negative encounter where travellers were at the root of it!
There are more Moslems here and I never had a negative encounter with any of them!

midlander12

Emily Logan of the Great and the Good was pronouncing on this subject today - she didn't 'mince her words', according to the reportage on Pravda. No doubt her human rights body will now devote at least an equal amount of time to the rights of the rural elderly who are victims of the wildly disproportionate criminal element among the traveler population. It will be a brave politician who will stand up to the PC claptrap that will be unloaded on this issue.

General Urko

The Asian and African originating communities combined here are much larger than the Travelling community (and on average no doubt vastly more travelled!) and they don't cause anything like the issues of our lovely indigenous ethnic minority!
I don't recall ever having any negative encounter with any of them!

Old Mr Grouser

The people here seem to be speaking very sensibly -

[video=youtube;y8rsny0aEqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8rsny0aEqk[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies