Justin Trudeau in a spot of bother

mr_anderson

Why do these people always get seduced by nonsense like free holidays?

He surely earns enough as Canadian PM to pay for his own holidays?

Such greed.

Are you still upset he didn't accept your offer of a weekend in Birmingham ?

GDPR

Does it? I am naive about these things, I admit.
It is a very long time since I gave up posting on PULSE but I remember well that some of the biggest psychos there came from Canada.

Anyway thank God your blessed to be naïve about such things; but coming from England I would imagine that they are rather esoteric. If your parents went to Church I would imagine that were rather mild Anglo-Catholics or at least tending towards that wing of the Church of England and I doubt that they any dealings with the more repulsive elements of the British Far Right, my sense is that they were probably Liberal Democrats.

Karloff

I just can't warm to Justin Trudeau, there's an arrogance there.

Anyway, he's in a spot a bother. Ethics Commissioner Mary Dawson is investigating whether Trudeau breached ethics laws in receiving a free Bahamas vacation and in using the Aga Khan’s helicopter to fly to his private island.

"Trudeau and his family, as well as a Liberal MP and the president of the party and their spouses, stayed at the Aga Khan’s home on Bell Island in the Bahamas for a post-Christmas vacation."

The thing is, the Aga Khan’s foundation has received hundreds of millions of dollars from the Canadian government to promote development and other projects in several countries and is registered as a lobbyist.

Ethics probe opened into Justin Trudeau's lavish island holiday

This chap is all about openness, transparency and accountability.
He reminds me of a salesman, slick polished 'liberal' performance to conceal the fact that all he stands for is that he represents a different group of big money interests than his predecessor (although they both represent big oil).

He is like the Canadian Obama as Harper (his predecessor) was the Canadian Bush.

Ardillaun

Trudeau always struck me as a classic media creation - every classic left-liberal button pressed, son of a trendy politician from the 1970's whose uselessness has been conveniently forgotten about, admirer of Obama, pro-immigration, you name it. I suspect he will be a one-term wonder while the Tories reorganize themselves.
Pierre Trudeau was not useless. That is not the correct word to use. He mattered, he got an awful lot done and he is regularly rated as one of Canada's greatest PMs. For good or ill, depending on your point of view, he created the modern Canadian state with its bilingualism, multiculturalism and Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Whether you like this or not, a lot of Irish people have voted with their feet over the decades since. Here's the Wikipedia entry for starters:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Trudeau

Our success with bilingualism is something Ireland could learn from. Trudeau also had to deal with terrorism in Quebec and a referendum that almost split the country. Where he can be faulted is on economic issues. Under his watch, the national debt exploded. It was left to his anti-charismatic lieutenant, incomprehensible in both national languages, Jean Chrétien, to balance the books and set Canada on a more stable course. We have been struggling to repeat Chretien's performance ever since - all the way through Harper's time in office - and JT's first budget was worrying in that regard.

Last edited:

Ardillaun

The free posh holiday is the least if Canada's concerns. Bear in mind that this is normal in the Trudeau govrrnment. One of his ministers went on a paid junket to California to appear on a TV show -where Bill Maher exposed her as clueless. And she bulldozed right through the criticism.

Trudeau is a celebrity politician who represents the description of "a bug in search of a windshield".

Disaster on the horizon. Borrowing
Are you talking about Chrystia Freeland there who just negotiated our trade deal with the EU? Fluent in the Lord knows how many languages? Clueless she ain't. I like her approach to Putin too.

Bill Maher has become a nasty, grumpy old man. He'd fit in well on this thread. When he learns something about immunization, I will take him seriously again.

JT's brief plane trip was a mistake but it's a Canadian-sized scandal. He should just admit it and get on with business.

Trudeau took over the Liberal Party when it was in dire straits. Harper had resoundingly beaten the Liberals in the last two elections and the NDP were in second place. Trudeau was bold in his strategy, outflanking the NDP on running a deficit and confounding Harper's negative publicity machine. He was the poorest debater of the three but his energy and optimism were a welcome relief after years of Mr. Gloom. Harper deliberately ran a longer campaign to outspend his adversaries but this played into Trudeau's hands. Likeability and energy are underestimated qualities in campaigns. In office, he has made mistakes but people have warmed to his more open style. He is currently touring the country doing town hall-style meetings.

Last edited:

Ardillaun

He reminds me of a salesman, slick polished 'liberal' performance to conceal the fact that all he stands for is that he represents a different group of big money interests than his predecessor (although they both represent big oil).

He is like the Canadian Obama as Harper (his predecessor) was the Canadian Bush.
In some ways he's like Bush and Kenny, underestimated by the media and his opponents.

Ardillaun

Trudeau always struck me as a classic media creation - every classic left-liberal button pressed, son of a trendy politician from the 1970's whose uselessness has been conveniently forgotten about, admirer of Obama, pro-immigration, you name it. I suspect he will be a one-term wonder while the Tories reorganize themselves.
Trudeau has reinvigorated the Liberal Party and restored their belief in themselves as the natural governing party of Canada. Conservatives are about one third of the population. Their main hope is a split in the non-Conservative majority of voters. One or two of the candidates like Lisa Raitt and Erin O'Toole have crossover appeal to centrist voters but it will be an uphill struggle. The wild card is TV business celeb Kevin O'Leary who is getting into the Conservative leadership race now that the French debate has passed which will give things a more Trumpian flavour. Fortunately, there may be factors limiting O'Leary's success:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/andrew-coyne-why-kevin-oleary-wouldnt-win-tory-leadership

Last edited:

Jezza15

If this little ponce doesn't make your knuckles itch then there's something wrong with you- a pampered elite squit who's prime minister because his dad was lecturing normal people about their 'privelige' & 'sexism'.
Come on Justin! Put your money where your mouth is and give your post up to a Black lesbian disabled transgenger single parent. In your own time like.

Ardillaun

If this little ponce doesn't make your knuckles itch then there's something wrong with you- a pampered elite squit who's prime minister because his dad was lecturing normal people about their 'privelige' & 'sexism'.
Come on Justin! Put your money where your mouth is and give your post up to a Black lesbian disabled transgenger single parent. In your own time like.
'Little ponce' is a bit wide of the mark:

Reprint: In their fight, Trudeau and Brazeau showed more sportsmanship, mutual respect and honour than most of their colleagues ever will | Ottawa Citizen

silverharp

this cover sums him up :D

Mick Mac

L'Chaim

It's right he's being investigated. Travel and accommodation costs are not allowed for a pleasure trip, unless the person paying those costs has a relationship with you independent of your official status. Now maybe the Aga Khan is a personal friend independent of the fact that Mr Trudeau is prime minister of Canada. Is that likely? Maybe. They both probably knew each other for years, due to Trudeau's family history

Mick Mac

The point is to mobilise support and votes. Its not to put others in your job.

Mick

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies