Kanye West - Slavery was a choice

Wascurito

Either he's desperate for publicity or he holds views that will be deeply offensive to a lot of Americans. However, Kanye West, in an interview with TMZ Live declared that slavery was "a choice".

These seem to be his exact words as quoted here on the Irish Times website:

"When you hear about slavery for 400 years . . . for 400 years? That sounds like a choice."

silverharp

I bet its taken out of context, fake news

RasherHash

Either he's desperate for publicity or he holds views that will be deeply offensive to a lot of Americans. However, Kanye West, in an interview with TMZ Live declared that slavery was "a choice".

These seem to be his exact words as quoted here on the Irish Times website:

"When you hear about slavery for 400 years . . . for 400 years? That sounds like a choice."
What does he mean?

RasherHash

Discussing slavery is like the holocaust - though not quite as egregious - you're not allowed to say anything that upsets the mantra.

This is perhaps understandable, but it's not science, it's not fact finding or allowing for different interpretations.

Without questioning the official version of things, we will be led by the nose down the memory hole :)

PAGE61

I was on the blower to him about this and he said it was taken out of context ,he also said , think of all the gob************************es reading and discussing what i say as if it is important. Kanye does it again

Niall996

What does he mean?
Like many groups who were ruled or exploited by a numerically smaller force - the question is often asked, why not rebel, revolt etc. At what point do the enslaved or exploited mentally accept the status quo and believe in it themselves.

Hillmanhunter1

In the words of Obama, Kanye is a jackass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=078BGtKNL1o

But perhaps there is an interesting and related question - does the fact that the abolition of slavery was a gift from white-America rather than an achievement of black-America affect the African American community to this day, and in what way?

Wascurito

I bet its taken out of context, fake news
The IT article provides lots of context in the form of other things he said which pretty much back up the interpretation everyone is taking. You can judge it for yourself.

making waves

Slavery was a choice - in slave societies and under capitalism.

Capitalism would not have and could not have developed the way it did without widespread slavery.

Mick Mac

I was on the blower to him about this and he said it was taken out of context ,he also said , think of all the gob************************es reading and discussing what i say as if it is important. Kanye does it again
Ha ha, whilw he was on the phone I sneaked in and let's just say Kim was looking mighty pleased to see me

Wascurito

Discussing slavery is like the holocaust - though not quite as egregious - you're not allowed to say anything that upsets the mantra.

This is perhaps understandable, but it's not science, it's not fact finding or allowing for different interpretations.

Without questioning the official version of things, we will be led by the nose down the memory hole :)
Historical revision has to be based on something substantial. I have no problem with questioning history but too often - the revisionists do it just for revisionism's sake with little or no evidence to back it up. They hold themselves to a much lower standard than they hold everyone else and invariably drag up the completely unrelated issue of free speech when they're criticized for it.

Sync

It was pretty bizarre. He spoke about his opioid abuse as well: it came off as a guy who wasn’t quite past that abuse.

silverharp

The IT article provides lots of context in the form of other things he said which pretty much back up the interpretation everyone is taking. You can judge it for yourself.
the tone of what he is saying is that black people need to look forward not backwards, the chance that he said that the slaves that came over from Africa had a choice is about zero.

Last edited:

Mick Mac

Capitalism would not have and could not have developed the way it did without widespread slavery.
And yet capitalists dispensed with slavery or should we say found a way of adapting it.

Mick Mac

It was pretty bizarre. He spoke about his opioid abuse as well: it came off as a guy who wasn’t quite past that abuse.
He is the rights first bona fide Social Justice Warrior.

He said if he were alive a hundred years ago he'd have been like a great abolitionist.

PAGE61

We will never know, but maybe it would have, it would obviously be different

Mick Mac

Supra

He did make a great point about the exclusivity of racism and other global events.

RasherHash

Historical revision has to be based on something substantial. I have no problem with questioning history but too often - the revisionists do it just for revisionism's sake with little or no evidence to back it up. They hold themselves to a much lower standard than they hold everyone else and invariably drag up the completely unrelated issue of free speech when they're criticized for it.
That's simply not true.

Revisionists I have read have very high standards but they are censored.

You will not read them because it is not acceptable for you to do so, so you censor yourself.

Their books are burned in Germany.

People go to prison for years or are exiled from their countries because of ideas we are not allowed to have.

That is not freedom, that is slavery.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies