Karen Bradley, an insult to the people of Ireland.

Prof Honeydew

Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley reveals the dismissive condescending arrogance of the Brits towards the people subject to their rule in the Six Counties.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/07/karen-bradley-admits-not-understanding-northern-irish-politics
She said she was unaware that nationalists did not vote for unionists and that unionists did not vote for nationalists – the most elementary fact about Northern Ireland politics.
Theresa May appointed Bradley to the post in January – succeeding James Brokenshire – at an exceptionally sensitive time because of Brexit and the breakdown in Stormont’s power-sharing government.
As the total time she has spent in the North can be counted in hours rather than days, neither can this twat have picked up any understanding of her brief much since her appointment.

The government should tell the Brits they're in breach of the Good Friday Agreement by appointing an empty-headed political ornament to uphold their commitments to Anglo-Irish relations.

Sync

She's pretty clearly substandard. The people of NI have spent the last few decades electing substandard politicians based on religion and dogma. The nicest thing you can say about the parties is "They've stopped overtly supporting terrorism". They've now shut down politics for over a year over which end of the egg to eat first.

If the people of NI would like serious politicians to be assigned to them, they need to do their bit first and start electing serious people.

Someone who came into the job with Zero preconcieved ideas and people are complaining !!!!!!!!!

FFS its a first when we don't have pro Unionist muppets slavishly following a Unionist Agenda.

She had to learn which is good.

Strawberry

She's pretty clearly substandard. The people of NI have spent the last few decades electing substandard politicians based on religion and dogma. The nicest thing you can say about the parties is "They've stopped overtly supporting terrorism". They've now shut down politics for over a year over which end of the egg to eat first.

If the people of NI would like serious politicians to be assigned to them, they need to do their bit first and start electing serious people.
The executive shut down over the RHI scandal, the treatment of Irish language speakers and marriage equality. If you want to lecture the people of NI it might be best if you understood the difference between corruption in high places and minority rights on the one hand, and which end of the egg to eat first on the other.

Se0samh

Some do, most don't. Religion and politics are unfortunately linked as the place was set up on a sectarian basis against the will of many of the inhabitants, most people vote on the basis of nationality which when you think about it, is an even more fundamental ideological position than the left-right dichotomy afforded those who have had a more fortunate history. You regrettably, seem as ill informed as K.B .

Mitsui2

Karen Bradley, an insult to the people of Ireland.
To be fair, she's not exactly an compliment to the people of the UK either, Prof.

There are any number of people - and surely even now any number of people within even the two-ring circus that is the current Tory Party - who might have been given the job.

The only thing she's really a measure of is how low a priority NI is to the current Tory Government.

I'm presuming this official confirmation of that fact will be taken fully on board by Northerners of all stripes!

Prester Jim

Someone who came into the job with Zero preconcieved ideas and people are complaining !!!!!!!!!

FFS its a first when we don't have pro Unionist muppets slavishly following a Unionist Agenda.

She had to learn which is good.
She is a member of and MP for the conservative and unionist party. Her govt is supported by the DUP. She is a Unionist, just a spectularly ignorant one. Judging the Tories on the current members she is about as clued in as they come.

Dr Pat

Northern Ireland Secretary Karen Bradley reveals the dismissive condescending arrogance of the Brits towards the people subject to their rule in the Six Counties.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/sep/07/karen-bradley-admits-not-understanding-northern-irish-politics

As the total time she has spent in the North can be counted in hours rather than days, neither can this twat have picked up any understanding of her brief much since her appointment.

The government should tell the Brits they're in breach of the Good Friday Agreement by appointing an empty-headed political ornament to uphold their commitments to Anglo-Irish relations.
It would be ironic if her ancestry is from the Irish as opposed to the English branch of the Bradleys. https://www.houseofnames.com/Bradley-family-crest/Irish

JimmyFoley

The executive shut down over the RHI scandal, the treatment of Irish language speakers and marriage equality.
By next week you'll have added a few more things, I'm sure.

I don't recall Martin Mc saying anything about the Irish language and gay marriage when he walked out. And, funny enough, I've heard very little about the RHI thing from SF recently...

louis bernard 11

To quote the historian Dermot Ferriter we know a lot about the English but they know very little about us. Thats the case because in their grand scheme of things we are unimportant (your average uneducated English person still thinks we are still some way part of the UK) yes this is a fact. The 10 DUP MP's are important to the present British government but that too will pass probably after the next UK general election. And of course the ignorant paddy in NI will still elect useless Sinn Fein idiots who will not take their seats and represent their people.

Strawberry

By next week you'll have added a few more things, I'm sure.

I don't recall Martin Mc saying anything about the Irish language and gay marriage when he walked out. And, funny enough, I've heard very little about the RHI thing from SF recently...
Oh you don't recall it? I suggest you refresh your memory then, here's the text of Martin McGuiness's resignation letter....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/full-text-of-martin-mcguinness-s-resignation-letter-1.2930429

I think you'll find both Irish language speakers and gay rights are mentioned quite clearly.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Bit unfair to describe the people behind this appointment as 'the Brits'. It is a pretty spectacular misfire of an appointment. As Marina Hyde points out in her political sketch piece this appointee was 28 years old when the Good Friday Agreement was signed.

The point being made by Hyde that if someone at the age of 28 at that time didn't pick up any scant hints from the coverage alone then that is a somewhat worrying sign.

ruserious

She makes Mary Mitchell O'Connor appear like a rocket scientist.

Se0samh

JimmyFoley

Oh you don't recall it? I suggest you refresh your memory then, here's the text of Martin McGuiness's resignation letter....

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/full-text-of-martin-mcguinness-s-resignation-letter-1.2930429

I think you'll find both Irish language speakers and gay rights are mentioned quite clearly.
:rolleyes: As were women's rights, ethnic minorities' rights, austerity, and legacy issues.

He resigned, ostensibly, because of Arlene's role in RHI. SF said it was happy to continue in the Executive if she stood aside. There were no preconditions relating to gay marriage or the fûcking Irish language. :lol:

I suspect we will hear even less from SF about RHI as knowledge of the evidence regarding M Mc's attempt to keep it running becomes widely known.

JimmyFoley

:rolleyes: As were women's rights, ethnic minorities' rights, austerity, and legacy issues.

He resigned, ostensibly, because of Arlene's role in RHI. SF said it was happy to continue in the Executive if she stood aside. There were no preconditions relating to gay marriage or the fûcking Irish language. :lol:

I suspect we will hear even less from SF about RHI as knowledge of the evidence regarding M Mc's attempt to keep it running becomes widely discussed.

Se0samh

I suspect we will hear even less from SF about RHI as knowledge of the evidence regarding M Mc's attempt to keep it running becomes widely discussed.

:lol:

Strawberry

So now you've moved the goal posts from "it wasn't even mentioned when McGuiness resigned" to "it wasn't a precondition for returning to the Executive". I think objective readers will note that you've gone from factually incorrect to deliberately disingenuous, and leave it at that.

Gin Soaked

Bit unfair to describe the people behind this appointment as 'the Brits'. It is a pretty spectacular misfire of an appointment. As Marina Hyde points out in her political sketch piece this appointee was 28 years old when the Good Friday Agreement was signed.

The point being made by Hyde that if someone at the age of 28 at that time didn't pick up any scant hints from the coverage alone then that is a somewhat worrying sign.
There is a phrase " fake it till you make it" , and Wikipedia and a few calls to a retired journalist or professor referenced in an article would be my first port of call before taking a position of that nature. If I gave a sh1t about my brief, that is.

I'd probably be able to fudge a few soft interviews knowing nothing...

This seems bizzare. And a symptom of the contempt brexiteers have for the wider UK and society generally...