Karen Bradley fired as NI SoS

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I'm warming to the new NI SOS already...... 👌

"I have been so impressed by the calibre of DUP MPs in Westminster led by Nigel Dodds. They are a credit to the DUP & they are a credit to NI...my door as chief whip is open whenever you want". - Julian Smith (the new NI SOS) 2017.
a 'credit to the DUP and to Northern Ireland' may not be the compliment it appears to be at face value :)

Pyewacket

FWIW, its actually Orangeman and Ultra Unionist Michael Gove who has overall Cabinet responsibility for advising the PM on the devolution implications of Brexit. Smith is just a place holder.

Yes, I know it seems odd that the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster has that in his brief, but that's the British way for you.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Duchy of Lancaster is a traditional title for the bod who runs the Cabinet Office as a secretariat, I think?

Which makes Gove effectively an advisor to Johnson. I did flag up in the early stages of the tory leadership farrago that I thought Gove would have a deal with Johnson to be a candidate in the early stages and then fall out and spend the rest of his time touting for Johnson.

I suspected he was after the Home Office. But I see that has gone to Patel. Who probably won't last very long. Not sure the cabinet itself will last very long either. But when Patel resigns as Home Office Minister I suspect Gove will get the job he wanted.

Pyewacket

Duchy of Lancaster is a traditional title for the bod who runs the Cabinet Office as a secretariat, I think?

Which makes Gove effectively an advisor to Johnson. I did flag up in the early stages of the tory leadership farrago that I thought Gove would have a deal with Johnson to be a candidate in the early stages and then fall out and spend the rest of his time touting for Johnson.

I suspected he was after the Home Office. But I see that has gone to Patel. Who probably won't last very long. Not sure the cabinet itself will last very long either. But when Patel resigns as Home Office Minister I suspect Gove will get the job he wanted.

You think BoJo's Fusiliers are going to go the distance then? Interesting.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
A fairly short distance. Just the inevitability of a GE sooner rather than later, with a majority of two in the House to my mind says that this government and cabinet will be short-lived.

Johnson at some point needs to go to the country as his argument for a mandate weakens without an election win under his leadership.

Pyewacket

A fairly short distance. Just the inevitability of a GE sooner rather than later, with a majority of two in the House to my mind says that this government and cabinet will be short-lived.

Johnson at some point needs to go to the country as his argument for a mandate weakens without an election win under his leadership.
No shit, Sherlock?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Never heard of the fellow. Probably not worth doing a lot of research either.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies