Katie French- more arrests but who is really to blame?

JDLK

pjb07

Not to sound harsh but the only person to blame is Katie French - she took the drugs

KarenD

Compound Fracture said:
more arrests but who is really to blame?
Katie French. And I have no problem with sounding harsh.

All along I thought it was herself who was to blame. Some tabloids even referred to her as 'our Princess Diane'!! I mean seriously. She took drugs...died...end off. She has herself to blame, She was an idiot. Its such a waste, such a damn waste but if your going to take drugs you face the consequences. She did. I dislike the way the media and police have a witch hunt for who 'killed her'...do they do that for every drug taker who dies? She killed herself in my view.

johnfás

It is Katy French's fault that she died. There may be some form of contributory factor on the part of broader society but that is no more pronounced in this case than any other unfortunate death in similar circumstances.

That said, those who supply drugs should suffer the rigour of the law. So if the people currently held by the Gardaí are suspected of the sale or supply of drugs, we should expect that they are exposed to the consequences of the criminal law.

smitchy2

I definetly have not seen any drug dealers chased like this before.
Her death was ultimately her own fault though.
The media attention is bizarre, especially the Sindo who created her false fame.

The OD

Compound Fracture said:
Nothing harsh in telling the truth - not only was it her own fault, but her prior attempts to use cocaine to get her column inches makes it especially sad.

fergalr

pjb07 said:
Not to sound harsh but the only person to blame is Katie French - she took the drugs
The supply of cocaine is legal then, is it?

JDLK

smitchy2 said:
I definetly have not seen any drug dealers chased like this before.
Her death was ultimately her own fault though.
The media attention is bizarre, especially the Sindo who created her false fame.
I always thought that the truly tragic episode of drug abuse in this country was the generation of the 80's/90's that was lost (and forgotten) to heroin. Even that was overshadowed by the more media friendly Veronica Geurin story

johnfás

Keith-M said:
Unless there's evidence that the drugs were forced into the woman, she is the only person responsible.
You are correct insofar as nobody would be charged with her murder. That is not to say that the four people currently held by the Gardaí are not potentially liable for charges. It is an offence to possess or supply drugs. The latter being a serious offence indeed.

fergalr

Also, this young woman was one of several to lose her life in tragic circumstances and deserves to be treated with the same dignity as any other person who you might mention by name in relation to this.

Leftfemme22

johnfás said:
[quote="Keith-M":23h9yzve]Unless there's evidence that the drugs were forced into the woman, she is the only person responsible.
You are correct insofar as nobody would be charged with her murder. That is not to say that the four people currently held by the Gardaí are not potentially liable for charges. It is an offence to possess or supply drugs. The latter being a serious offence indeed.[/quote:23h9yzve]

Well then, lets apply the same gravitas to each and every victom of drug abuse in the State and demand the police invest similar resources in each of these instances.

JDLK

fergalr said:
Also, this young woman was one of several to lose her life in tragic circumstances and deserves to be treated with the same dignity as any other person who you might mention by name in relation to this.
Whoa whoa whoa, if you play the media game then expect to be analysed under the microscope. We arent talking about the other people because we dont know any of them, you cant expect a story to be publicised then nobody to talk about it. I agree with respecting the dead but its a subject open to debate- one which she herself talked about on TV

fergalr

Her playing the media game means that people should feel unencumbered by decency when posting aboout the drugs overdose that killed her?

johnfás

Leftfemme22 said:
johnfás said:
[quote="Keith-M":1a73zrcr]Unless there's evidence that the drugs were forced into the woman, she is the only person responsible.
You are correct insofar as nobody would be charged with her murder. That is not to say that the four people currently held by the Gardaí are not potentially liable for charges. It is an offence to possess or supply drugs. The latter being a serious offence indeed.
Well then, lets apply the same gravitas to each and every victom of drug abuse in the State and demand the police invest similar resources in each of these instances.[/quote:1a73zrcr]

There is certainly an argument that the Gardaí have invested far more resources in this case than they would have if it had been someone else. However, from a legal or moral point of view, does that mean that someone, if suspected of the supply or possession of illicit drugs, should not be investigated by the Gardaí and brought to justice by the courts merely to ensure some sort of backwards equality whereby everyone gets off?

My answer to that question is no. I would presume your's is also. Consequently, although one could say that they should invest more resources across the board, or that it is poor show that they chase one case more than another merely because the person is famous - that does not redeem anyone who has committed illegal activity.

Would you not agree?

JDLK

fergalr said:
Her playing the media game means that people should feel unencumbered by decency when posting aboout the drugs overdose that killed her?
Can you point out where the decency line is and where the commentors on this thread have overstepped it?

fergalr

KarenD said:
Compound Fracture said:

All along I thought it was herself who was to blame. Some tabloids even referred to her as 'our Princess Diane'!! I mean seriously. She took drugs...died...end off. She has herself to blame, She was an idiot. Its such a waste, such a damn waste but if your going to take drugs you face the consequences. She did. I dislike the way the media and police have a witch hunt for who 'killed her'...do they do that for every drug taker who dies? She killed herself in my view.
Well there could be more sensitive ways to go about this. It's not the case that her death was somehow a ploy to gain more attention. It seems that a lot of people's bitterness is to do with the reaction of the media, which was hardly her fault, or the fact that the gardai are focusing resources on this case. Now, I appreciate that no-one should get more police time because they're famous, but people are hardly arguing that it is a bad thing that a drug dealer be arrested and charged?

Also, a private action against the drug dealer by the family could succeed, if he were found guilty.

New Threads