Katie French- more arrests but who is really to blame?

KarenD

johnfás said:
Leftfemme22 said:
[quote="johnfás":u9s3sfvw][quote="Keith-M":u9s3sfvw]Unless there's evidence that the drugs were forced into the woman, she is the only person responsible.
You are correct insofar as nobody would be charged with her murder. That is not to say that the four people currently held by the Gardaí are not potentially liable for charges. It is an offence to possess or supply drugs. The latter being a serious offence indeed.
Well then, lets apply the same gravitas to each and every victom of drug abuse in the State and demand the police invest similar resources in each of these instances.[/quote:u9s3sfvw]

There is certainly an argument that the Gardaí have invested far more resources in this case than they would have if it had been someone else. However, from a legal or moral point of view, does that mean that someone, if suspected of the supply or possession of illicit drugs, should not be investigated by the Gardaí and brought to justice by the courts merely to ensure some sort of backwards equality whereby everyone gets off?

My answer to that question is no. I would presume your's is also. Consequently, although one could say that they should invest more resources across the board, or that it is poor show that they chase one case more than another merely because the person is famous - that does not redeem anyone who has committed illegal activity.

Would you not agree?[/quote:u9s3sfvw]

I dont think anyone is arguing against you here. They supplied the drugs, yes yes charge them, nobody is saying they shouldn't be....but not for murder. As the above poster said...unless it was proven somebody put a gun to her head and made her take the drugs then the only person responsible is Katie French herself. Hense the point of this thread.

If you live and die in the spotlight, then expect to be talked about. You cant have it both ways. What we are doing is merely commenting on a very public matter. I'm being respectful and I treat her death as no different to any one elses.

drjimryan

first and foremost(unfortunately) the answer to your question is Katie French.

since her funeral though, the silence of her parents (unlike those in waterford) is quite unfortunate, I believe.

the message must get out that theyres nothing 'clean' about wealthy, attractive well known people who engage in drug taking and have the intellect to be fully aware of the choices thaey are making......

fergalr

DOUBLE POST.

fergalr

lostexpectation said:
can they charge dead or dying people with drug possession?
Why? You proposing charging a dead girl?

johnfás

drjimryan said:
since her funeral though, the silence of her parents (unlike those in waterford) is quite unfortunate, I believe.
I really don't believe we should be imposing moral obligations on those who lose children.

Whilst it is commendable to speak out, if one feels able (as for instance someone like Gordon Wilson did during the Troubles), I do not think it 'unfortunate' that victims of such terrible happenings do not.

smitchy2

Egan and O’ Connor in the Sindo spent every week bigging her up alright.
She talked about selling herself as a product, very similar to the likes of Jordan or Jodie Marsh.
Her death would appear to be self inflicted which is tragic but it happens to so many people every year whether it be drink or drugs.

The lack of condemnation from other models of drugs is shocking.

fergalr

Condemnation of drugs and the taking of drugs by people held in esteem by society would be very welcome. But I don't believe public criticism of named individuals does any good whatsoever. Addiction is an illness and people who fall victim to the power of drugs don't deserve vilification; they deserve compassion.

JDLK

fergalr said:
Condemnation of drugs and the taking of drugs by people held in esteem by society would be very welcome. But I don't believe public criticism of named individuals does any good whatsoever. Addiction is an illness and people who fall victim to the power of drugs don't deserve vilification; they deserve compassion.
You dont concede that Ms. French's death, while tragic, has propelled the cocaine issue into mainstream media and helped more widespread debate over the issue using her as an example of the possible consequences?

smitchy2

I was merely noting that there is certain press who look to create an image and persona for models to sell their papers.
It is not just Ireland but the press does have to bear some responsibility in creating the surreal lives that these people live.

fergalr

JDLK said:
fergalr said:
You dont concede that Ms. French's death, while tragic, has propelled the cocaine issue into mainstream media and helped more widespread debate over the issue using her as an example of the possible consequences?
Responsible and mature debate is much to be desired. Condemning Katy French to the seventh circle of hell because she was overdosed on drugs or indeed portraying her as Ireland's Princess Diana are not that.

JDLK

fergalr said:
JDLK said:
fergalr said:
Responsible and mature debate is much to be desired. Condemning Katy French to the seventh circle of hell because she was overdosed on drugs or indeed portraying her as Ireland's Princess Diana are not that.
So we cant critisize the demand side of the drugs industry only the supply side?

The OD

fergalr said:
I dont believe in making her out to be the worst person that ever was but I wonder how many others Ms French 'supplied' herself with coke.

According to many she was a 'very generous person'. I wonder if that generosity extended to her stash? I wonder if the roles were reversed and one of her dodgy pals had died would we have seen her in the dock for sale or supply?

Giving out a line to your mate is as much a crime as selling wraps of it.

Bon Scott

In my opinion it's her own fault. I also believe it's what happens when you get people with minimal talent being bigged up by others with as little talent and put them on a national/media stage. Deep down they know they're frauds and will do anything to numb it out.

fergalr

The OD, the woman is dead and you'd be liable for that baseless speculation if she was alive.

fergalr

Bon Scott said:
In my opinion it's her own fault. I also believe it's what happens when you get people with minimal talent being bigged up by others with as little talent and put them on a national/media stage. Deep down they know they're frauds and will do anything to numb it out.
When people ask what I'm getting at when I go on about treating the dead with a little dignity in this thread, this kind of post would be what I take issue with.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies