Kazuo Ishiguro wins the Nobel literature prize

former wesleyan

A Voice

jacko

If they were going with a novelist this year then what about any of the four great living American novelists

Philip Roth
Richard Ford
Don DeLillo
Cormac McCarthy

????

statsman

If they were going with a novelist this year then what about any of the four great living American novelists

Philip Roth
Richard Ford
Don DeLillo
Cormac McCarthy

????
An American got it last year. You can be damned sure it won't be an English-language writer next year.

Accidental sock

I defy anyone to read his name, and have the voice in their head not use a Japanese accent.

I miss Tenko.

loaf

I think you're being a little harsh - Remains of the Day had a beautiful sadness about it. An Autumnal sunset of a book.

Also enjoyed Never Let Me Go, and think the film version is more than a wee bit underrated.

statsman

I think you're being a little harsh - Remains of the Day had a beautiful sadness about it. An Autumnal sunset of a book.

Also enjoyed Never Let Me Go, and think the film version is more than a wee bit underrated.
I think I'm probably being very harsh. Nice books, but the Nobel? Really?

The Field Marshal

bokuden

And people laughed when Bob Dylan won last year!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/live/2017/oct/05/the-2017-nobel-prize-in-literature-live

I'm sure he has his admirers, but Ishiguro is, in my view, the very essence of the safe, middlebrow, middle of the road novelist who renders literature less and less relevant to, well, anything much.

Never let me go is a great novel: very timely evocation of the kind of world that neo liberal scum like FG are dragging us into.

Socratus O' Pericles

A Pale View Of Hills was good imv.

statsman

Never let me go is a great novel: very timely evocation of the kind of world that neo liberal scum like FG are dragging us into.
Ulysses is a great novel. Middlemarch is a great novel. The Alexandria Quartet is, viewed as a whole, a great novel. Never Let Me Go is a decent read.

redhead

I think I'm probably being very harsh. Nice books, but the Nobel? Really?
I agree that you're being harsh, like a lot of great writers he has that ability to write as an outsider with an insider's knowledge. Like O'Casey writing about working class Dubs.

statsman

I agree that you're being harsh, like a lot of great writers he has that ability to write as an outsider with an insider's knowledge. Like O'Casey writing about working class Dubs.
I'm sure you're right; I just don't get the fuss at all.

eoghanacht

I was going to have a fiver on him and all.

bokuden

Ulysses is a great novel. Middlemarch is a great novel. The Alexandria Quartet is, viewed as a whole, a great novel. Never Let Me Go is a decent read.
Stylistically, it's up there with A Farewell to Arms, but it's even more penetrating because of the limited wordworld of the narrator IMO.

Ardillaun

Don't know enough to offer an opinion, although I greatly enjoyed Remains of the Day and the superb film. One thing thing that isn't safe about Dylan and grows more dangerous by the day - his singing. It is now truly hideous.

Cnoc a Leassa

And people laughed when Bob Dylan won last year!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/live/2017/oct/05/the-2017-nobel-prize-in-literature-live

I'm sure he has his admirers, but Ishiguro is, in my view, the very essence of the safe, middlebrow, middle of the road novelist who renders literature less and less relevant to, well, anything much.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/04/opinion/nobel-prize-fruit-fly.html

Another Nobel Prize for the Fruit Fly. This is the fifth Nobel Prize for the Fruit Fly. Some record.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies