Keane to head up the OCI but will it be from the cheap seats

Happycamping

The embarrassing behaviour of Hickey in his position as head of the OCI made this country a laughing stock on a world stage. Since then he has had to step down and last night was the chance for a changing of the guard. A chance to stop the rot. Step up Sarah Keane.
The vested interests are tripping over themselves to tell us how this is a new beginning and 'a farewell to the status quo':

Sarah Keane elected as Olympic Council of Ireland president

I am not so sure. Lets not forget, Keane was quite happy to sit up in first class on the way to Rio while some of the athletes were relegated to the cheap seats behind. Maybe she didn't want to rock the boat. Maybe she was looking at the bigger picture and was waiting for her moment. I am not so sure. Hopefully I am wrong.

Newstalk had an excellent segment on Off the ball in which they interviewed Bernard O'Byrne of Basketball Ireland:

Sports Podcasts - Off The Ball | Sports Radio | Newstalk

(Sorry, not sure how to link to exact podcast. Search in the 'Off the ball' section for 08 Feb 17)

Hans Von Horn

The embarrassing behaviour of Hickey in his position as head of the OCI made this country a laughing stock on a world stage. Since then he has had to step down and last night was the chance for a changing of the guard. A chance to stop the rot. Step up Sarah Keane.
The vested interests are tripping over themselves to tell us how this is a new beginning and 'a farewell to the status quo':

I am not so sure. Lets not forget, Keane was quite happy to sit up in first class on the way to Rio while some of the athletes were relegated to the cheap seats behind. Maybe she didn't want to rock the boat. Maybe she was looking at the bigger picture and was waiting for her moment. I am not so sure. Hopefully I am wrong.

Newstalk had an excellent segment on Off the ball in which they interviewed Bernard O'Byrne of Basketball Ireland:

Sports Podcasts - Off The Ball | Sports Radio | Newstalk

(Sorry, not sure how to link to exact podcast. Search in the 'Off the ball' section for 08 Feb 17)
Given her level of support she is obviously Hickey's heir and successor. Ryan seems like a sacrificial candidate to appear to be the chosen one.

It seems that there were offers of Committee positions in a power sharing deal.

Happycamping

Given her level of support she is obviously Hickey's heir and successor. Ryan seems like a sacrificial candidate to appear to be the chosen one.

It seems that there were offers of Committee positions in a power sharing deal.
That would be my fear as well. Would prefer to have seen the basketball lad get in. Just to really have a clean slate.

DaveM

Does it really matter? The Olympics has become such a rotten institution a lot of people stopped caring a long time ago.

DaveM

Definitely. But at least if it had cleaned up its act that would have been a start.
I've always been a bit of a sporting nut when it comes to watching TV coverage of all kinds of sports. There was once a time when I would have been glued to the Olympics. Now I literally couldn't care less. I certainly don't think public monies provided to various sports should go via the OCI.

Happycamping

I've always been a bit of a sporting nut when it comes to watching TV coverage of all kinds of sports. There was once a time when I would have been glued to the Olympics. Now I literally couldn't care less. I certainly don't think public monies provided to various sports should go via the OCI.
I was once the same. Now I know more about what goes on with the athletes and behind the scenes and it's not so attractive. But I would at least expect any tax payer funded body to be accountable. The speech about hickey last night was nauseating.

Hans Von Horn

I was once the same. Now I know more about what goes on with the athletes and behind the scenes and it's not so attractive. But I would at least expect any tax payer funded body to be accountable. The speech about hickey last night was nauseating.
What did they say about Hickey?

Do you have a transcript?

Happycamping

Henihan earlier delivered an astonishing glowing tribute to Hickey, and where he took the OCI, beginning by saying “remember, when Pat started, they were working off the kitchen table and going to members’ houses for meetings”.
He then added: “We now have a beautiful headquarters and a staff of four and a number of really good people who work hard for the Olympic movement” and that “Pat is a loyal and good friend to the OCI, to you, the national federations, and will be sadly missed as the guiding light and president of the OCI.
“In his ongoing career in the IOC and the EOC, I hope and ask Pat to look after the OCI and you the National federations. I believe that his contribution has been immense and should be recognised. I would like to thank Pat on behalf of the Olympic movement in Ireland.”

Disillusioned democrat

Henihan earlier delivered an astonishing glowing tribute to Hickey, and where he took the OCI, beginning by saying “remember, when Pat started, they were working off the kitchen table and going to members’ houses for meetings”.
He then added: “We now have a beautiful headquarters and a staff of four and a number of really good people who work hard for the Olympic movement” and that “Pat is a loyal and good friend to the OCI, to you, the national federations, and will be sadly missed as the guiding light and president of the OCI.
“In his ongoing career in the IOC and the EOC, I hope and ask Pat to look after the OCI and you the National federations. I believe that his contribution has been immense and should be recognised. I would like to thank Pat on behalf of the Olympic movement in Ireland.”
There is no shame....so there's staff, a HQ, 1st class tickets, etc, but athletes still travelling coach and agonising over who to give their 1 ticket to. No value to sport, the athletes or to the taxpayers.

McTell

Twitter
No

After all, if the OCI's "authority" comes 100% from the IOC, and not the state, then the IOC should be spending on it.

Let the minister of sport fund training programs by all means, and leave it at that. Everything to do with qualifying, drug testing, flights, tickets, is then up to the OCI. It's the IOC's gig, they sell the TV for zillions, TV pays for the costs in all other major sports.

"Flying the flag" ain't what it used to be, when we were a young state looking for attention.

fergal1790

The funding of Ireland's Olympic entrants and travel and accommodation etc at Olympic competitions should be the remit of the OCI(Irish Olympic Council) and the IOC(International Olympic Committee).

There should be no public money allocated by Government or from any sporting body to the Olympics, If they want to take part there are enough highly paid(through hefty expenses, first class travel etc) executives in both organisations to raise the funding through sponsership from business sources in the country and abroad.

All athletes should travel !st class in future and all the Pat Hickey types travel 3rd class.

We are either going to be proud of our athletes and show them how proud we are by showering them with 1st class travel etc or we should just get out of the whole Olympics thing altogether!

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

did Sarah Keane go to Rio ?

if she did anyway at the end of this interview she says she only travelled business class once to a Washington International Olympics meetings
https://www.rte.ie/sport/other-sport/2017/0128/848418-sarah-keane/

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies