• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Keaveney sacked from Oireachtas Committees

bagel

Colm Keaveney has today been removed from three Oireachtas Committees by Labour Party leader Eamon Gilmore.

"Mr Keaveney - who lost the whip after voting against part of the Social Welfare Bill - has lost his positions on the Public Accounts, European Union Affairs and Transport Committees."
Link http://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune?ref=stream

Is this the usual practice, or just vindictive?
If it is usual practice, what took Eamon so long to put the boot in?

Crazy horse 6

Keaveney is a politican with backbone unlike the other yes men in Labour. You are either in or out of the Labour/FG gravy train and this was always on the cards.

Amnesiac

what took Eamon so long to put the boot in?
The Keaveney story is a bit stale now. Most people never cared or have forgotten about him. Dumping him from these committees would have made big headlines a month ago. Now it'll make a few waves on this site, and that's probably it.

Ramon Mercadar

Gilmore is a vindictive Stalinist control freak. The Student Prince has become MacBeth.

Amnesiac

Can anyone else imagine Labour backbenchers being offered future junior ministries and plum party jobs to keep obeying the whip and saying their piece on Vincent Browne?

White Horse

Any word on Tobin's committee place?

I presume SF are not adopting the same policy as Labour.

bagel

It's difficult to look at the timeline of his actions around the budget and think he was being entirely selfless.
Not so.
In interviews he clearly stated how he fought from within to amend certain budgetary measures but when he finally realised no compromise was possible he then took a stand on the vote on carers cutbacks.
His chances of re-election were pretty slim before but are even worse now so his action was unselfish.

bagel

Any word on Tobin's committee place?

I presume SF are not adopting the same policy as Labour.
Its stated in the link I provided that SF are sacking Tobin from the Chair of an Oireachtas Committee too.

BrightDay

If Keavney was good enough to sit on the committees before he left the Labour PP why is he not good enough now? Did Gilmore give hime the positions in the hope that he would be a good little yes man - kind of like jobs for the boys? We know the Labour position on jobs for the wife.

Victor Meldrew

Keaveney is a politican with backbone unlike the other yes men in Labour. You are either in or out of the Labour/FG gravy train and this was always on the cards.
Or "You are either in or out of the government and this was always on the cards"

Collective responsibility folks.

Cato

Its stated in the link I provided that SF are sacking Tobin from the Chair of an Oireachtas Committee too.
It provided a moment of awkwardness for Mary Lou: when Michael Martin objected to Keaveney's removal (backed by Richard BBB), she rose to join with Martin's comments but was then asked did she oppose the motion (which included removing Tobin) she indicated no and was refused permission to speak.

Fr.Ted Crilly

It's difficult to look at the timeline of his actions around the budget and think he was being entirely selfless.
Yea, because going against the party and being on the 'outside' for the next 3 years is really beneficial for him.LOL.
If we had 100 more like Keaveney the country would be the better off for it.
Gilmore is a little sh1thead and I can't wait until he's put back where he belongs. Roll on 2016 or earlier hopefully.

Cato

If fairness though, I cannot imagine that Keaveney expected to remain on the committees but this kind of thing does give testimony to just how toothless they and the Dáil in general are in terms of holding the Government of the day to account.

Clanrickard

Yea, because going against the party and being on the 'outside' for the next 3 years is really beneficial for him.LOL.
If we had 100 more like Keaveney the country would be the better off for it.
Gilmore is a little sh1thead and I can't wait until he's put back where he belongs. Roll on 2016 or earlier hopefully.
Keaveney is a leftist bser. Wants to see all increments kept in the PS wants no cuts to welfare of any kind but can't or won't say where cuts will come from.

Analyzer

I bet the Anglo Bondholders are sh!ttin it when they see how tough Gimmemore can be with those that cross his path......

The Owl

Well, they were hardly going to keep him in those committees, were they? He's not in their gang anymore.

One must remember that our Labour Party in Government are makine "great sacrifices" by voting for cuts in Carers' Allowance and Children's benefit, plus the sly other cuts to S/W benefits. It nearly kills them to vote for such but they must do so in order to save Ireland. Excuse me one moment whilst I puke. That's better. One would be more convinced of their love of Ireland and their angst at the cuts they agreed to make if they were not all looking so well fed and richly dressed. The garments of a certain Labour Party female junior minister was wearing the other day would keep a family of four living on the pig's back for a year. They do like their originals, don't they? Bless them, they need something to comfort them in these harsh times for ........ those who voted for them.