-Keep The Magdalene Laundry For The Victims, Not yours to sell! Take 2 13 September from 13:00-15:00 Next Week!!!!!!!!!

Socratus O' Pericles

-Keep The Magdalene Laundry For The Victims, Not yours to sell! Take 2 13 September from 13:00-15:00 Next Week!!!!!!!!!

Not yours to sell! take 2.

(We had a great turn out on the 3rd. The vote was adjourned so we are doing it again on the 13th.)

Dublin City Council are voting on if they should sell Sean McDermot St Laundry on Thursday 13th September (time to be confirmed, provisional time 1pm). It is the only laundry left that the state own.

We don't believe the laundry should be sold an turned into a hotel. This laundry belongs to the women who were imprisoned here and should be turned into something of meaning to all women who were in magdalene laundries.

If you can make it during your lunch break or whatever that'd be great. This dark period of our history should not be airbrushed.

GDPR

If you can make it during your lunch break or whatever that'd be great. This dark period of our history should not be airbrushed.
Don't you know your country by now? It has always been about making money off bone heaps. If you weren't part of that, then get on the boat or plane. petunia

Socratus O' Pericles

Don't you know your country by now? It has always been about making money off bone heaps. If you weren't part of that, then get on the boat or plane. petunia
One always hopes for a change. I'm heartened after the flop that was the papal visit.

PC Principle

Shouldn't modern day left wingers be trying to knock these things down?

So confusing.

Maybe its only white men statues they hate.

PBP voter

They got their redress scheme.

The state owes them nothing more.

Cruimh

One always hopes for a change. I'm heartened after the flop that was the papal visit.
If enough fuss is made they might have difficulty finding a buyer. Several "developers" have abandoned the project that was to be on the High Park, Drumcondra site. Would people want to stay in a hotel if there was constant reminders that they were staying in the site of one of Ireland's Gulags?

Catalpast

If enough fuss is made they might have difficulty finding a buyer. Several "developers" have abandoned the project that was to be on the High Park, Drumcondra site. Would people want to stay in a hotel if there was constant reminders that they were staying in the site of one of Ireland's Gulags?
Stop being a Dope all your life!:roll:

Its a fine ol spacious building

- and a lot better than many of the dwellings that surrounded it in Dublin's slums for most of its existence

You insult the victims of the Gulags by comparing this place to what they had to endure

BTW one cant help notice the are 12 windows easily opened at ground level that lead on to a main street in the middle of Dublin

- please don't tell me women and girls were locked inside with no way out...

The whole thing is a con story

Though I expect you know that....

wombat

What exactly do you think the former inmates would do with the building? Return to live in a little apartment in it?

Fritzbox

I don't think people would care - GULAG you say? I think a lot of Russians would laugh at you...

Fritzbox

Really? Ireland had more people as a percentage locked up than Soviet Russia,
I knew you were going to repeat that. I wonder just how true it is though?

how is the "development" of the High Park Site doing?
Where? How the Fükk would I knowß

PBP voter

Really? Ireland had more people as a percentage locked up than Soviet Russia, and as for people not caring, how is the "development" of the High Park Site doing?
Simply because Russia didn't take prisoners. It murdered them.

Lúidín

There's an old workhouse near Portumna that has been turned into a museum and, in addition to being a fine memorial to the victims of a barbaric regime, it is a tourist attraction and a place where people can go to reflect on our history.

The same should be done for this place of torment. Keep it as a reminder of the evils of the church-state conspiracy against young women and their children.

It would be an ideal women's centre where future young citizens could be educated in what has been done and hopefully prevent a recurrence if ever another religion gets a stranglehold on society.

PBP voter

The laundry part is all gone.

All that is is left is the convent.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies