-Keep The Magdalene Laundry For The Victims, Not yours to sell! Take 2 13 September from 13:00-15:00 Next Week!!!!!!!!!

Fritzbox

GDPR

There's an old workhouse near Portumna that has been turned into a museum and, in addition to being a fine memorial to the victims of a barbaric regime, it is a tourist attraction and a place where people can go to reflect on our history.

The same should be done for this place of torment. Keep it as a reminder of the evils of the church-state conspiracy against young women and their children.

It would be an ideal women's centre where future young citizens could be educated in what has been done and hopefully prevent a recurrence if ever another religion gets a stranglehold on society.
I'd go one better, turn it into a womens refuge from domestic abuse and turn its dark history into a more positive future.

the secretary

Sell the place to f u c k.
Who cares. I thought people would be glad to see the back of these places.

PBP voter

Interesting

Got a link for that?
Seems to be a recording of research carried out by the people who made the doc "The forgetten Maggies".

[video=youtube;5pPPD36WhB0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pPPD36WhB0[/video]

GDPR

From looking at the picture, I'd be willing to bet that it was the nunnery, and certainly too grand for the young women imprisoned. No they'd have been stowed away in some building to the back. I've come across similar convent designs elsewhere

DeBanksofDeLee

Stop being a Dope all your life!:roll:

Its a fine ol spacious building

- and a lot better than many of the dwellings that surrounded it in Dublin's slums for most of its existence

You insult the victims of the Gulags by comparing this place to what they had to endure

BTW one cant help notice the are 12 windows easily opened at ground level that lead on to a main street in the middle of Dublin

- please don't tell me women and girls were locked inside with no way out...

The whole thing is a con story

Though I expect you know that....
It obviously didn't affect a snob from the leafy suburbs such as yourself, but these places were hell on earth. In Blackrock across the river Cork had the notorious Bessborough mother and baby home it was a gulag. But your kind will never accept the truth.

GDPR

If you can make it during your lunch break or whatever that'd be great. This dark period of our history should not be airbrushed.
Yeah, a building is important, real important.
Ending human lives on anything up to and including a whim and in the name of "progress", not so much.

Priorities eh, aren't they really odd things?

Sweet Darling

If enough fuss is made they might have difficulty finding a buyer. Several "developers" have abandoned the project that was to be on the High Park, Drumcondra site. Would people want to stay in a hotel if there was constant reminders that they were staying in the site of one of Ireland's Gulags?
Their own families did not want them. Nuns should be thanked for taken them in.
If they had being the male they would have being treated worse as cheap slave farm labourers.

mr_anderson

Shouldn't modern day left wingers be trying to knock these things down?

So confusing.

Maybe its only white men statues they hate.
Remember, this is a victim 'statue'.
Personally, if I was one of the abused I'd want it demolished with the offenders still inside.

Sweet Darling

Yeah, a building is important, real important.
Ending human lives on anything up to and including a whim and in the name of "progress", not so much.

Priorities eh, aren't they really odd things?
Nobody gave a dam about the buildings until developers did. Me smells victim grooming going on in the area.
Last thing the cartoon left running the area around there want is people working.

mr_anderson

Their own families did not want them. Nuns should be thanked for taken them in.
If they had being the male they would have being treated worse as cheap slave farm labourers.
Yes and no.
You have to ask yourself why the families didn't want them.
Who was teaching them of all the shame they couldn't handle ?

Fritzbox

Yes and no.
You have to ask yourself why the families didn't want them.
Who was teaching them of all the shame they couldn't handle ?
It would not have been easy to be a single mother in most European countries in the first have of the 20th century, I'd say - or anywhere else around the world.

Sweet Darling

It obviously didn't affect a snob from the leafy suburbs such as yourself, but these places were hell on earth. In Blackrock across the river Cork had the notorious Bessborough mother and baby home it was a gulag. But your kind will never accept the truth.
They were handed over to the nuns by their OWN families. that's were the responsibility lies

Sweet Darling

From looking at the picture, I'd be willing to bet that it was the nunnery, and certainly too grand for the young women imprisoned. No they'd have been stowed away in some building to the back. I've come across similar convent designs elsewhere
They were not "imprisoned" there own families could have collected them at any time. But they in most cases left the nuns to hide the family shame.
The scum should be named and shamed.

GDPR

They were not "imprisoned" there own families could have collected them at any time. But they in most cases left the nuns to hide the family shame.
The scum should be named and shamed.
Yes, the church brain washing was very powerful and to step outside of that meant being shunned completely. That and the nuns profiting from the work the women did, slave labour really.

Sweet Darling

Yes, the church brain washing was very powerful and to step outside of that meant being shunned completely. That and the nuns profiting from the work the women did, slave labour really.
What the neighbours think was more important then their daughter suffering.
Name and shame the scum who handed over their children.

GDPR

What the neighbours think was more important then their daughter suffering.
Name and shame the scum who handed over their children.
Yes, a society where the churchbwaz all powerful and where many women were dragged away also.

GDPR

If you can make it during your lunch break or whatever that'd be great. This dark period of our history should not be airbrushed.

Has Marie Stopes put in a bid for it? They want to maintain the building's function, i.e. getting rid of the poor so that the rich can enjoy their ill gotten gains.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies