Kelly appoints independent boundary review group for Cork City & County

DarkEyes

Listen folks, anybody thought about what is going to happen to the servants after the merger? Somethings must have figured out to bring less costs?
Or is it the opposite direction: more costs and more personnel?

Ren84

Listen folks, anybody thought about what is going to happen to the servants after the merger? Somethings must have figured out to bring less costs?
Or is it the opposite direction: more costs and more personnel?
This is Ireland. In such merger all existing staff are retained, especially middle management. Look at the merger of the regional health boards into the HSE. All that happened was a new layer above the health boards was created, with them carrying on as if an amalgamation had occurred. It didn't and the existing staffing arrangements remained. That's my greatest fear with the proposed National Fire and Rescue Service, it ending up creating a bloated mess instead.

Red_93

Colourful!
Why don't you partake?
Couldn't possibly. Jury's still out for me.

One image that marks Wesht Cark (and indeed the rest of the West of Ireland) for me is craggy chunks of limestone jutting out through thin soil.

Anyway so one time I was driving to South Kerry and as soon as I saw all the lovely bits of limestone around Baile Bhúirne I yelped "Hah, we've hit West Cork already!" to which my passengers all replied in unison that we were in North Cork, not West Cork.

As for the boundaries starting at Bandon, well, I know some who even consider Kinsale as "West."

East Cork on the other hand is much easier to define - starts around Midleton, doesn't reach Fermoy, ringfenced by the Waterford border.

dent

In many ways that map would be a pretty sensible approach from the City's point of view, harbour in the one Local Authority, and all the commuter towns, with room to expand.

However the difficulty in this lies in how viable the Local Authority left outside the boundary is. It would have somewhere in the ballpark of a 10th of the State's road surface, but it's rates base would have been hugely cut. Particularly with Littleisland Ringaskiddy, Ballincollig Douglas etc. How does the remnants of Cork CoCo manage to pay the bills, not easy by any means
Exactly. If this group does its job correctly, then the CoCo will be left short of revenue, it would then be typical Irish not to go the next step and merge them, rather than artificially support them by taking money back off the city council. The outcome is always predefined by the composition of the group and the terms of reference.

dent

One image that marks Wesht Cark (and indeed the rest of the West of Ireland) for me is craggy chunks of limestone jutting out through thin soil.

Anyway so one time I was driving to South Kerry and as soon as I saw all the lovely bits of limestone around Baile Bhúirne I yelped "Hah, we've hit West Cork already!" to which my passengers all replied in unison that we were in North Cork, not West Cork.

As for the boundaries starting at Bandon, well, I know some who even consider Kinsale as "West."

East Cork on the other hand is much easier to define - starts around Midleton, doesn't reach Fermoy, ringfenced by the Waterford border.
Don't forget Cork East and West Riding !

Windowshopper

I think the Limerick/Clare border needs seeing to as well.

Bea C

Ballyvourney is the southern end of Sliabh Luachra, sher :roll:

locke

The boundaries of that part of the world all depend on whether you even believe in the existence of Mid Cork!

Ren84

Cork to be reunified!

Proposals are to be brought to Cabinet to merge Cork City and County Councils, creating a single local authority with an annual budget of more than €500m a year.

However, the five-person review group established to examine the move has split, with two of the group's members favouring an extension of Cork city's boundary’s instead.

Last January, Minister for the Environment Alan Kelly appointed a five-person statutory committee to examine the case for a boundary extension in Cork city, and to consider whether the city and county councils should be merged.

He acknowledged today that the review group had been split but insisted the merger of the councils, recommended by three of the five members, was the best way forward.
Review calls for merger of Cork local authorities - RTÉ News

Makes sense. Now do the same for Galway and merge the four Dublin authorities into one Dublin council.

jacko

When the only people complaining about the outcome are the local politicians you just know that this is a good report!

stakerwallace

it is a better way of doing things than long fill done with limericck, limerick now has two mayors god knows how many planning and fire officers and their assistants, the same with secetarys, they are all costing the rate and tax payers dear, but then senior civil servants cannot be done without, now can they
They may not be replaced when they retire.

Windowshopper

It's a silly idea. Cost cutting masquerading as reform. How can we have develop regionally when our second city doesn't even have any capacity for self government.

GDPR

The way it works for those excess staff is that they're available for secondment and their posts quashed once they go. So say kerry has a vacancy, well then they move there.

runwiththewind

How do Corkonians feel about the area around McCurtin Street being named the 'Victorian Quater'.

Personally I think its a retrograde step. Bringing the past into the future as it were. Surely city council could do better than that.

New Threads

Most Replies