Kelly appoints independent boundary review group for Cork City & County

cricket

The only people really exercised by the proposed merger would appear to be the councillors, with their egos to the forefront. I don't consider myself either a mover or a shaker, but I do get around and have yet to hear anyone else discuss the merger proposals.
That is why I think the full-page ad in today's Examiner by the city council is a complete waste of money.

Windowshopper

The idea of letting Little Island out of the city is a joke it's obviously a suburb. The government is a acting disgracefully by kicking the can down the road by making the councils negotiate and should just unilaterly implement the report.

Schuhart

The government is a acting disgracefully by kicking the can down the road by making the councils negotiate and should just unilaterly implement the report.
I agree. We need Dublin to tell Cork City what it's boundary is, ignoring the views of locals.

More Dublincentric decision structures should be demanded.

Windowshopper

I agree. We need Dublin to tell Cork City what it's boundary is, ignoring the views of locals.

More Dublincentric decision structures should be demanded.
I'm living in Cork City. The City needs to expand if it's to be a sustainible second/third city. It hasn't expanded in 50 years.

Schuhart

I'm living in Cork City. The City needs to expand if it's to be a sustainible second/third city. It hasn't expanded in 50 years.
I don't live there, but I completely agree with you.

Our regional cities were sacrificed on the altar of rural Ireland. If we are serious about regional development, we need to try a strategy that actually has some prospect of working.

locke

I fear the city council has been duped on this. At first glance it looks good, but the county council have effectively given a lot of population (with the expenses that entails), while hanging onto just about every available rates cash cow, with the sole exception of Cork Airport Business Park. The little kink that keeps EMC in the county while Ballincollig becomes part of the city is the icing on the cake.

Otherwise, the redraw could have quite an effect on city politics. The city council had become increasingly left-wing in recent years, with 8 SF councillors, 3 AAA and 1 Workers Party elected at the last election. The large population added in Rochestown, Ballincollig and Grage won't share that inclination. There will be more fertile ground in Lehenaghmore, while Sinn Fein may get on OK in Glanmire and Blarney, albeit not as well as the city. The overall city council is likely to become more left-wing.

There will also have to be a fairly substantial redraw of LEAs. There should be in the region of 40 councillors overall (probably a shade more), but it won't be as simple as extending the existing boundaries outward as the areas added outside the North Central LEA in particular, but also the South Central LEA won't allow these to be viably large. A central LEA surrounded by 5 or 6 for further out may be needed.

Congalltee

Give unto the City what it deserves. Kerry gets west Cork, Tipp can have Mallow and Waterford takes Youghal - or just merge into the CCCC (Council of the city and county of Cork).

Destiny's Soldier

Give unto the City what it deserves. Kerry gets west Cork, Tipp can have Mallow and Waterford takes Youghal - or just merge into the CCCC (Council of the city and county of Cork).
Now that's insane.

I think the best thing would have been to expand the city down the rail line to Carrigtwohill. A combined committee of City and County could have decided which projects were most in need and to allocate funding accordingly.

The County should realise too that the big rate payers of Little Island exist because of the proximity to Cork City. Each is dependent on the other.

The border of the City and County doesn't matter, it's where money is spent and collected is the issue.

nakatomi

Now that's insane.

I think the best thing would have been to expand the city down the rail line to Carrigtwohill. A combined committee of City and County could have decided which projects were most in need and to allocate funding accordingly.

The County should realise too that the big rate payers of Little Island exist because of the proximity to Cork City. Each is dependent on the other.

The border of the City and County doesn't matter, it's where money is spent and collected is the issue.
It does matter as it would be a cash cow for the county council that is now lost to the city council.

Same in Waterford, where Kilkenny council did not want to give up the parts of Waterford city located in Kilkenny.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/303372/kilkenny-people-outraged-at-hitler-like-plans-to-shunt-part-of-county-across-border-into-waterford/

Funnily enough they plan to house the refugees there.:roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies