• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Ken Burns "The West"...

NewGoldDream

Website
-
...starting on PBS America tonight, his 1996 series dealing with the history of the American West up to WWI over 9 episodes. Not as lavishly praised as his documentary on the Civil War, and he produced rather than directed, but should be one of the better documentaries.

carlovian

Have it on DVD and it is fantastic.

james5001

I wonder if it mentions how the Native Americans were driven out of their lands?

petaljam

On now and repeated at 2.05.
I had seen that and thought I must catch it, though I didn't know Ken Burns, but had seen the civil war one and loved it. But there is some brilliant stuff on PBS generally, I find. My youngest kids loved the history of the hamburger a few months ago.

niall78

I had seen that and thought I must catch it, though I didn't know Ken Burns, but had seen the civil war one and loved it. But there is some brilliant stuff on PBS generally, I find. My youngest kids loved the history of the hamburger a few months ago.
Here's a few more Ken Burns gems you might just catch on PBS :

The National Parks: America's Best Idea
Jazz
The Dust Bowl
Empire of the Air: The Men Who Made Radio
Brooklyn Bridge
Prohibition
Mark Twain

niall78

[video=youtube;9N__4oE0Afs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N__4oE0Afs[/video]

One of my favourite pieces of music of all time. The bold Ken is a genius using it as the theme tune for 'The Civil War'.

petaljam

Probably off-topic, but who made the programme the other night about the history of the World Trade Center? I hadn't realized (though of course I should have) how controversial its sconstructuon had been and how much damage it did to the whole social and commercial fabric of lower Manhattan Island.

Bill

...starting on PBS America tonight, his 1996 series dealing with the history of the American West up to WWI over 9 episodes. Not as lavishly praised as his documentary on the Civil War, and he produced rather than directed, but should be one of the better documentaries.
How do I get PBS America?

Boy M5

Thank Rupert for Sky.
Thank New Gold Dream
Series now on Sky+ record.

JimComic

the west is good but whereas the civil war covered 4 years in 10-12 hours, the west covers 200 years of history in a similar 10-12 hours so skips along at a fair pace alas so isn't as detailed

ric burns' 'new york' was on last week, mighty good, 'specially the final episode concerned with the building and destruction of the world trade centre

episodes 3 and 4 deal a lot with the irish in new york too

Popular Threads

Most Replies