• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Kenny accepts responsibility for McNultygate. Won't do anything about it.

What should happen next over McNultygate?

• Kenny should resign

Votes: 109 46.0%
  • Humphreys should resign

Votes: 16 6.8%
  • McNulty should withdraw from the job and seanad candidateship

Votes: 81 34.2%
  • Nothing

Votes: 31 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sync

Taoiseach's family links to candidate are revealed - Independent.ie

Mr McNulty is a family friend of a number of Mr Kenny's relatives living in the Kilcar and Carrick areas of Donegal.

And members of the Taoiseach's family played a central role in the businessman's election campaign during his failed attempt to secure a council seat earlier this year.

Mr Kenny said he took full responsibility and the blame for the controversy surrounding the nomination of Mr McNulty for the Seanad. Mr Kenny said he regretted what had happened, which was of his own making but would never happen again.

"I wouldn't say it was my finest hour and I take responsibility," he said.

Seeking to take the pressure off Arts Minister Heather Humphreys, Mr Kenny said she was not in any way to blame for what happened.
So Kenny admits he helped a family friend get a role in an industry they've no experience in so they can get a political appointment. Takes responsibility, but won't actually DO ANYTHING. This is really bad stuff. At a minimum McNulty needs to be gone and the position he was appointed to awarded through a fair and transparent process.

At a maximum? Kenny's admitting he engaged in cronyism. People have gone for far less.

Aindriu

This is Ireland. Our political system is rotten to the core. I didn't expect anything else from Kenny.

niall78

So Kenny admits he helped a family friend get a role in an industry they've no experience in so they can get a political appointment. Takes responsibility, but won't actually DO ANYTHING. This is really bad stuff. At a minimum McNulty needs to be gone and the position he was appointed to awarded through a fair and transparent process.

At a maximum? Kenny's admitting he engaged in cronyism. People have gone for far less.
Kenny has admitted to corruption. Plain and simple.

Why didn't he offer his resignation along with the apology?

Rausmaus Von Schnellkat

They've gone well beyond giving a shyte what the plebs think anyway.

'orebel

But but but, Enda had no input whatsoever in HHs decision to appoint McNulty, right?

Jaysus, the man's an imbecile.

Honecker

I don't think we should dismiss this man and his vast experience in business. Running a Mace in a one horse town in Donegal means you have a lot to bring to public life.

the secretary

Nepotism I believe it was called by Martin Luther

niall78

This behaviour falls under various names - nepotism, strokes, corruption, favours - all of it involves the debasement of the citizens political institutions for private gain.

Dame_Enda

We need to ensure future candidates for panels have a couple of years experience instead of being "plastic" representatives of their respective "panels". That would prevent this sort of thing in the future.

derryman

What kind of gutless subservient self deluding cretins does this incident make the rest of the government, particularly and especially labour.

turdsl

It is a hell of a kick in the teeth by the Taoiseach to those that are serving on the Board
already, how did they get there,why were they not able to do their job that he found it
necessary to extend the members of the board. The Taoiseach has many questions to
answer yet.

deepness

new politics eh..

And the lads on here will tell you they are sooo different to FF. My eye they are.

loner

It is a hell of a kick in the teeth by the Taoiseach to those that are serving on the Board
already, how did they get there,why were they not able to do their job that he found it
necessary to extend the members of the board. The Taoiseach has many questions to
answer yet.
Who is the second person who was added to the Board----when did the Minister get her application?

Eoin Coir

People have gone fpr less, croneyism. Did Bertie not say you appoint friends to these positions. Bertie appointed Tony Kett, and Maria Corrigan partner of his sidekick Joe Burke, to the senate

'orebel

Don't think McNulty is related. So its just cronyism and corruption.

Why have we not heard from the board of IMMA?

Clanrickard

All government appointments need to be filtered through a commission like the civil service commission.

lying eyes

They've gone well beyond giving a shyte what the plebs think anyway.

Well the public should stand up and keep the pressure on Kenny -----If we do not things will remain the same.......If this arrogant attitude of I can do what I like , no matter how corrupt is not tackled , we have no hope of getting proper politics. Our so called media should force kenny to make this candidate to withdraw........By the way all other FG td's should be resisting the backing of the particular candidate............

turdsl

What kind of gutless subservient self deluding cretins does this incident make the rest of the government, particularly and especially labour.
Labour have to accept any crumbs that Kenny gives them, when it suits him, they have nowhere to go only home for
good.They will try any excuse to distance themselves from this Haughey style politics which is now becocoming more North Koirean style.
Kennys family played a central role in McNultys local election campaign, apart from being not elected he got a poor vote
yet the Taoiseach decides to give the close family friend a leg up for the general election,
This is the man who promises new politics, Dail reform,end of Gombeenism and Cronyism.
Sad to say all are still going well and being nourished carefully for the selected few.

the secretary

Don't think McNulty is related. So its just cronyism and corruption.

Why have we not heard from the board of IMMA?
You are right, he's not. lost the run of myself there

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies