• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Kerry driver pays fine...in one cent coins...

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie

ruserious

Not legal tender. Can be refused if more than 50 coins in one transaction.

Mackers

In the North you can only legally give 21p. But I know the feelings behind paying some fines.

drummed

Ya! Finally the revolution has kicked off...................:)

Bloodly time waster, fine him again.

Morgellons

That's interesting. Where are the rules for such things?

I collect all the brown coins in a jar for a rainy day. Let's say I go to get the bus, or buy a bottle of ale with lots of bronze coins, you're telling me they don't have to accept it?

New avatar? What was the old one again, oh yeah a battleship.

ruserious

That's interesting. Where are the rules for such things?

I collect all the brown coins in a jar for a rainy day. Let's say I go to get the bus, or buy a bottle of ale with lots of bronze coins, you're telling me they don't have to accept it?

New avatar? What was the old one again, oh yeah a battleship.
The following is an extract from the Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998:
“10(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.”

Time for change. Why no avatar?

drummed

“10(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.”

That's my giving tips days over so:(

Morgellons

Good information, but maybe the court clerk is one of those agents of the State obliged/permitted to take coinage.

No avatar-I don't know, maybe it's something I'll look in to.

Mackers

My two daughters once saved up about £12 in coins for a charity that was advertised in my bank. We brought the money into the bank and were told they couldn't take the money, unless it was sorted into bags, and we paid £5 for the inconvenience of them having to take it off us. We left. Then we went to a charity shop to give them the money to be told they couldn't accept it loose. So we went to another charity shop that not only took it but thanked us for it. Story with a happy ending.

ruserious

I think there is one staff member at the office where it was paid who NOW knows that rule!
I'd have made him wait till I counted it all and for his conveniance, I will miscount near the finish.

gijoe

There is no legal limit on the number of coins but there is a value limit in the Central Bank Acts of IIRC £20 OR £30.

Bea C

Coin services - as with all bloody services - are appalling in aib now.

Radix

Bea C

So in this thread Kerry people are great? :confused:

The Pleb

Ha Ha, he must have felt pretty strongly about the fine. How long did it take him to organise that? Good on ya - Did he record it for you tube? I'd love to see the clerks face. Only in Ireland