• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Kerry footballer has drink driving charges withdrawn

BrightDay

It appears on the basis of this case that a Garda does not have to explain to a Judge why the DPP decided not to prosecute a case.
One would expect that the Judge should know the reason before dismissing the case.

But when the case was called, at Naas District Court, Chief Superintendent Pat Mangan told Judge Desmond Zaidan that the cases against the famous footballer were being withdrawn, on the instructions of the DPP.

"Why?" the judge asked.

The charges of dangerous driving and drink-driving were withdrawn for "procedural reasons".
GAA star's drink-driving charge is withdrawn - Independent.ie

controller

Why should a garda have to explain the reasoning of the DPP to the judge??

'orebel

Last edited:

Orbit v2

Other thread looks like it's been pulled, as did a thread I started recently on a similar issue. This didn't used to happen in the olden days. The site is turning into a bit of a media poodle, running scared of anything remotely risky. Come back David Cochrane, I say....

Carl Claudius

a discussion site that is afraid to discuss.

the Indo may highlight the faults of our 'stars' and betters but p.ie dare not. there are people out there who have had personal dealings with such highly regarded people such as footballers and they cannot be let voice their experience.

freewillie

NewGoldDream

Website
-
The other thread contained a lot of hysteria and nonsense, and some serious accusations about corruption within the DPP's office fuelled by ignorance of the law in drink driving cases.

Carl Claudius

The other thread contained a lot of hysteria and nonsense, and some serious accusations about corruption within the DPP's office fuelled by ignorance of the law in drink driving cases.
and I mockingly referred to 'drink driving permits' which were actually considered in Kerry.

Orbit v2

If all threads that showed ignorance (or hysteria or nonsense :) ) had to be pulled, what would be left? And I don't recall any posts that explicitly made accusations of corruption within the DPP's office.

There's a wider issue at stake, which is the difficulty in achieving drink driving convictions. So, I think it deserves a light being shone on it.