• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Kerry GAA anger over drugs case.

johnny365

The recent jailing of a Kerry Senior Hurler for drug dealing attracted some media attention recently.Kerry hurler Sean Dowling was jailed last week for drug dealing. According to todays Kerrys Eye, Kerry County Board Chairman Patrick O'Sullivan is furious that he was not made aware that the Senior Hurling Manager was about to give a character reference for Mr Dowling. It is also reported that Kerry GAA bosses were outraged at "failing procedures" that allowed an alleged drug dealer to continue to train and play with the Hurlers.Mr O Sullivan said that if he had known about the case he "under no circumstances" would have allowed the alleged drug dealer near a GAA pitch.

I commend Patrick O'Sullivan for taking issue with the character reference, this carry on has gone on too long. A line of do gooders willing to give references just because someone is a GAA player should be stopped and not allowed in our court process.

Is Patrick O'Sullivan correct and should the player have been banned from the team? Should he be entitled to the presumption of innocence?

Note: Some of the alleged drug dealing went on where young kids were training. My view is he should of been banned and character references in criminal trials should be stopped. Does a GAA figure giving a character reference in a criminal trial reflect badly on the GAA?

The text below is taken from the Kerrys Eye website link Kerry's Eye News
http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/judge-refuses-to-reduce-sentence-of-ardfert-man/

GAA bosses in Kerry are furious over a collapse in their procedures that allowed an alleged drug dealer continue to train and play with the senior Kerry hurling team.
County Board Chairman Patrick O’Sullivan said this week that the first he knew of the case, in which a member of the senior hurling squad was charged and ultimately convicted of drug dealing, was last Wednesday night - over a year after the player was first caught by gardai, and hours after he was jailed for two years.
The top GAA officer in Kerry said that procedures regarding a player suspected of drug dealing had totally failed, and the communication breakdown reflects poorly on the GAA in Kerry.

Last edited:

Sync

1. As long as the manager was speaking in his capacity as an individual (And not claiming to speak for Kerry Hurling) I can't see an issue.

2. As long as the individual wasn't convicted why shouldn't he be allowed to play? At the time he was presumed innocent.

SeanieFitz

The recent jailing of a Kerry Senior Hurler for drug dealing attracted some media attention recently.Kerry hurler Sean Dowling was jailed last week for drug dealing. According to todays Kerrys Eye, Kerry County Board Chairman Patrick O'Sullivan is furious that he was not made aware that the Senior Hurling Manager was about to give a character reference for Mr Dowling. It is also reported that Kerry GAA bosses were outraged at "failing procedures" that allowed an alleged drug dealer to continue to train and play with the Hurlers.Mr O Sullivan said that if he had known about the case he "under no circumstances" would have allowed the alleged drug dealer near a GAA pitch.

I commend Patrick O'Sullivan for taking issue with the character reference, this carry on has gone on too long. A line of do gooders willing to give references just because someone is a GAA player should be stopped and not allowed in our court process.

Is Patrick O'Sullivan correct and should the player have been banned from the team? Should he be entitled to the presumption of innocence?

Note: Some of the alleged drug dealing went on where young kids were training. My view is he should of been banned and character references in criminal trials should be stopped. Does a GAA figure giving a character reference in a criminal trial reflect badly on the GAA.

GAA bosses in Kerry are furious over a collapse in their procedures that allowed an alleged drug dealer continue to train and play with the senior Kerry hurling team.
County Board Chairman Patrick O’Sullivan said this week that the first he knew of the case, in which a member of the senior hurling squad was charged and ultimately convicted of drug dealing, was last Wednesday night - over a year after the player was first caught by gardai, and hours after he was jailed for two years.
The top GAA officer in Kerry said that procedures regarding a player suspected of drug dealing had totally failed, and the communication breakdown reflects poorly on the GAA in Kerry.
I believe that Pat O'Sullivan is correct in his stance however this is not the first time that Kerry GAA stalwarts have supported unsavory characters IMO, and I do not intend to go into further detail.
Drugs have become endemic in the County and the player should have been asked to step aside until such time as the case was heard.

johnny365

1. As long as the manager was speaking in his capacity as an individual (And not claiming to speak for Kerry Hurling) I can't see an issue.

2. As long as the individual wasn't convicted why shouldn't he be allowed to play? At the time he was presumed innocent.
I agree but what if dealing was alleged to be going on in GAA grounds near where Children do training?

Note: Some of the alleged drug dealing went on where young kids were training. My view is he should of been banned and character references in criminal trials should be stopped. Does a GAA figure giving a character reference in a criminal trial reflect badly on the GAA.

The bolded bit is something that I find disturbing. The County Chairman has no role whatever in whether someone in the organisation is asked to provide a character reference. That is sailing close to materially interfering with witnesses.

It's one of those things which look bad; members of an organisation providing character testimony for one of their own, but two things need to be remembered: the witness does not represent that organisation, and, their joint membership of the organisation may mean a familiarity which other acquaintances don't have.

I believe that Pat O'Sullivan is correct in his stance however this is not the first time that Kerry GAA stalwarts have supported unsavory characters IMO, and I do not intend to go into further detail.
Drugs have become endemic in the County and the player should have been asked to step aside until such time as the case was heard.
To ask the player to sttand asiide risks prejudicing the trial.

Verhofstadt

Website
I agree but what if dealing was alleged to be going on in GAA grounds near where Children do training?
Obviously if there was any suspicion that he was still dealing after being charged he should have been ran out of the club, if he was contrite then I don't see an issue with the man hurling.

johnny365

The bolded bit is something that I find disturbing. The County Chairman has no role whatever in whether someone in the organisation is asked to provide a character reference. That is sailing close to materially interfering with witnesses.

It's one of those things which look bad; members of an organisation providing character testimony for one of their own, but two things need to be remembered: the witness does not represent that organisation, and, their joint membership of the organisation may mean a familiarity which other acquaintances don't have.
The Manager has clarified that he was giving the reference in a personal capacity, however surely he was asked to give the reference because of the position he held?

Verhofstadt

Website
Is this another example of the corrupting influence of Limerick on rural Munster?

(He was a UL student)

The Manager has clarified that he was giving the reference in a personal capacity, however surely he was asked to give the reference because of the position he held?
In general, it is irrelevant in court as to why he was asked or what position he held. However, a character witness themselves must be able to withstand cross-examination as to his own standing, so it's all but inevitable that it be someone reasonably prominent and upstanding. A drinking buddy from the Dog & Bone won't cut it - particularly if it turns out he has even a minor blotch on his record.

So you're looking for someone with a good and proven record in th community. omeone respectable who knows you. You'll always have to look close to home.

johnny365

Surely a suspension pending the outcome of the trial would have been the right thing to do.

Colin M

I wonder what the usual crowd who tell us that the only unsavory characters come from the sport of soccer have to say about this - and Diarmuid Connolly's attack on a man in a pub.

johnny365

In general, it is irrelevant in court as to why he was asked or what position he held. However, a character witness themselves must be able to withstand cross-examination as to his own standing, so it's all but inevitable that it be someone reasonably prominent and upstanding. A drinking buddy from the Dog & Bone won't cut it - particularly if it turns out he has even a minor blotch on his record.

So you're looking for someone with a good and proven record in th community. omeone respectable who knows you. You'll always have to look close to home.
So basically his standing was that he was an Inter County GAA Manager?

Popular Threads

Most Replies